January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent So happy to hear the gloves work!

Thanks! I just need get a second pair I think! Maybe a third to keep in the truck.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

@Avidkeo Which fitnessblender strength programme are you doing, "Strong" or "Mass"? I have both, but somehow I like "Strong" a little better - I've only done "Mass" once, but I'm halfway through my 3rd iteration of "Strong".

@nikkiwolf I am currently doing the "Strong" program and I was thinking of doing the "Mass" program next. I was hesitant because this means I will have to buy a bench. Can you tell me why you like the Mass program less than the Strong program? I might just do the Strong program again with heavier weights....

@amymoreorless I should have a closer look to really do a fair comparison of the programmes. Of the top of my head, I think I just liked some of the videos of "Strong" better, the "bored easily" ones for example. "Mass" seemed to have more videos with HIIT intermissions, which I didn't like so much. But I can have a closer look at the weekend. Maybe I just liked it less because on average the videos are a bit longer :wink:
    I still think I might do 1 Mass after 3 Strongs again, just to mix it up, so it wasn't that bad.

I didn't buy a bench, I don't think it's necessary. There are some exercises where it would give you a little more range of motion, like chest press / chest fly / pull-overs . But in one video I saw Kelly suggests doing them lying on the floor in bridge position, so that's what I do instead. Or I lie down on the armrest/backrest of my couch, but that's only possible thanks to the fact that the couch is a 1,60m-long-corner-shaped thing (if that makes any sense?), it probably won't work for everyone's furniture.

@nikkiwolf and @amymoreorless Get an exercise ball. Lay with that behind your shoulders and engage your core to keep your body straight. You get the range of motion, extra in your workout and can easily put it away.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @jesspen91 I can program target paces into my Garmin watch using the app. It beeps if I'm outside the zone.

Example:
    hnik75rnqab1.png

@sarahthes
    Oooh that's useful thank you. My watch is a garmin but quite a cheap one. I've not come across this feature so I'll do some exploring.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Yesterday I did my first ever speed training. I am following the Nike 10K plan which called for various intervals at various paces. I've never really focused on changing up my pace so it was weird to try and estimate my pace. I felt like I was constantly checking my watch!

My first 200m was far to fast so I slowed it down to get to what the plan calls my 'km pace' which is 5:55 p/km. In contrast my 800m which was supposed to be at my 5K pace (6:20 p/km) was too slow. I'm hoping with more practice I can understand pacing a bit better because it didn't feel all that different to the 200m. Any tips on regulating pace?

@jesspen91

Regulating your pace is a learned skill. You won't pick it up all at once, but with practice you will get better at it.

What helped me was running on a track. I would break down the target to seconds per 200m, put my Garmin on a screen showing interval duration, and check the time every 200m. I don't try to go faster or slower to make up for errors; I just try to run the next 200m as accurately as possible. Typical result: My target for threshold pace is 49 seconds per 200m. I typically run the first 200 too fast, and end up running the entire interval faster than 49 seconds per 200m; but slower than 48 seconds per 200m average. That's close enough.

For 200m intervals, there is no correction in the middle of an interval. If I'm running 4 x 200 at rep pace, target 43 seconds for a 200, I just have to see where the first 200 comes in then try to run the next 200 a little harder or a little easier, as the case may be. It's more of an art than a science.

Thanks, for the tips. Sounds pretty similar to what I was doing so it seems like I'm on the right track so to say.

I don't have a track near me or at least not one that I can use for free. I've been running around my local park which is exactly 800m a lap. It's a square with each segment being around 200m so it's fitting my purpose for now.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Great story this morning:

Her Doctor Told Her She’d Be Lucky to Run a Mile During Chemo. Instead, She Trained for a Marathon
    https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a25415752/marathoner-fights-breast-cancer/
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Your weather is definitely worse than mine.

@ddmom0811 Our car has a block heater. Basically a battery warmer, because batteries don't work very well when it's colder than about -21C or so. If you were to be driving a vehicle up here without one the alternative would be to go out and idle your car for a few minutes every 2-3 hours or so. They're standard in new vehicles sold here though and each parking stall at work has a plug for them. Sometimes when running in my neighbourhood in winter I have to watch for extension cords lying across the sidewalks...