Bring it!

Options

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I agree with Shannon. This might not be the approach for everyone but I always say it's about finding what will work for you and this could very well be what can do it!

Yes, unfortunately people do want to be supportive all the time when there are times that brutal honesty might work better. There is a happy medium that people need to find.

I incorporate a lot of the ideas into my day. So maybe people can start out slow and ease into it if it appeals to them.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I did not know that and would have never guessed it about Jillian LOL. She is in fantastic shape.

I run all the time, no matter what. So I am looking for strength training and/or toning exercises, with which to supplement the running. I feel like her program really "thins" me out by making me look more tone and lean. I like how it's a full body workout that also incorporates cardio and is fast-paced. I like to fit in as much as I can in that 45-minute (or whatever) workout. I had never seen a book like hers so I wish it went for every day of the year instead of just 30 days...

I'm thinking I could just incorporate some of the exercises from that in each day. And maybe do more resistence training and isometrics (or whatever it's called LOL... the core training like her boat pose and all of that... it makes me feel stretched out and my muscles feel longer and leaner!)
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tam and Shannon for your positive attitude. :smile: I just want us to all get along LOL
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    FC, I love that you are always looking on the bright side. I agree with you, I just think the tone of the thread sounds judgmental: i read it as "if you aren't doing it the "RIGHT" way, then you don't measure up". that doesn't motivate, that is a discouragement. (IMHO, as always)

I kind of read it as more 'if you aren't doing it THIS WAY then you're not serious about being healthy.' Which is just as disheartening really.

I agree about was said it did sound like the rest of us who are here are not serious about losing weight. Isn't this the reason we are all here to lose weight and follow a healthy lifestyle? You do make a great point and everyone knows what we are supposed do but obviously for whatever reason we have not followed this advice. I thought this was a supportive forum non exclusive. The way you wrote was "Serious,Dedicated,Committed Member Only!" sounds like the rest of us are not being serious, or committed. Good Luck to you,but it sounded mean.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    FC, I love that you are always looking on the bright side. I agree with you, I just think the tone of the thread sounds judgmental: i read it as "if you aren't doing it the "RIGHT" way, then you don't measure up". that doesn't motivate, that is a discouragement. (IMHO, as always)

I kind of read it as more 'if you aren't doing it THIS WAY then you're not serious about being healthy.' Which is just as disheartening really.

I agree about was said it did sound like the rest of us who are here are not serious about losing weight. Isn't this the reason we are all here to lose weight and follow a healthy lifestyle? You do make a great point and everyone knows what we are supposed do but obviously for whatever reason we have not followed this advice. I thought this was a supportive forum non exclusive. The way you wrote was "Serious,Dedicated,Committed Member Only!" sounds like the rest of us are not being serious, or committed. Good Luck to you,but it sounded mean.

I think we all feel motivated in different ways. Some need hugs & cheerleading while others need a slap upside the head & their butt kicked.

Neither is right or wrong, it's just what works best for the individual. :smile:

Bottom line, good luck to all of us! :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: I have to give ya a nod.

I would challenge anyone to say I am not a "Serious,Dedicated,Committed Member "
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: I have to give ya a nod.

I would challenge anyone to say I am not a "Serious,Dedicated,Committed Member "

or maybe I seriously need to be committed???:laugh:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I dont get that tone from this post ...But I will be honest I do get that when I post anything in regards to my my "choice" not to eat my excercise calories ......Being told its unhealthy and will make you fail is pretty judgemental in itself....not to mention the "Its The ONLY way " jibberish
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I can understand your point of view....I've been there. I was more like you a couple years ago....more rigid about my eating habits, no-nonsense about the gym. Strict. I have since become more lenient to make things easier on myself and those around me.

But I wouldn't say I'm less committed or determined now. I am just more intuitive. I know what I can and can't handle in the gym om a given day. I experiment more with how I lift. I experiment more with how I eat. I buy what I can afford and make the best of it. Does that mean I have to sometimes eat processed food? Yes. Does that mean I'm not serious or that I don't care about my body? No. I am just as determined now as I was back then. But now I am flexible, because I need to be to fit school, work, and a relationship into my life, while still maintaining my humanity. Yes I eat a cookie now and then. Yes I have some days in the gym where I just go through the motions because I've worked and had tests all week. But I am just as serious and committed as a professional because I apply my hard earned knowledge in a practical way and work as hard as my body will allow. To say I'm anything less because I eat white potatoes or canned vegetables sometimes is fairly insulting.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    as usual, I agree with songbyrd. moderation can last. hyper-rigidity is much harder to maintain.

and Mya, I didn't tell you that you would fail, or that eating exercise cals was the only way. what I said was that Banks and the others (who have accomplished so much) have extensive data to back up their viewpoint. and I will be taking my advice from those who have used the system to a great successful result.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I think we all feel motivated in different ways. Some need hugs & cheerleading while others need a slap upside the head & their butt kicked.

Neither is right or wrong, it's just what works best for the individual. :smile:

Bottom line, good luck to all of us! :drinker:
    Well as always to the point and a very good one I might add:drinker: :tongue:
  • Tailea
    Tailea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The first time I read this I didn't like the tone of it AT ALL. However, I just re-read it for the second time and I think I might need to really try this approach. As someone who binges regularly and will make excuses (like tonight when I ate half a pan of brownies because our heater isn't working...that excuse doesn't even make sense), I think a no-excuses attitude could be something I really need to have.

I still feel like I should not even be posting in this thread right now since I am NOT AT ALL a no-excuses kind of girl atm (as shown by my brownie story). I'm waiting for people to jump down my throat forbeing a big fatty with no control...
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I guess to nay-sayers...all I have to say is, oh well. Just because those of us who are here in this thread and agree with what is said does not mean you have to give passive-aggressive stabs at promoting our failure. Obviously, serious, dedicated, and committed are subjective, so if you feel you do your best, that's great.

Do what you want. It's up to you anyway. We can't stop you from eating bad food or force you to work out.

We all have school, relationships, work, and family to fit in. We do our best and forget the rest.

The end.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    The first time I read this I didn't like the tone of it AT ALL. However, I just re-read it for the second time and I think I might need to really try this approach. As someone who binges regularly and will make excuses (like tonight when I ate half a pan of brownies because our heater isn't working...that excuse doesn't even make sense), I think a no-excuses attitude could be something I really need to have.

I still feel like I should not even be posting in this thread right now since I am NOT AT ALL a no-excuses kind of girl atm (as shown by my brownie story). I'm waiting for people to jump down my throat forbeing a big fatty with no control...
    I don't think you'll find yourself being called that here Chick a Dee:wink: But maybe that's what you're saying to yourself in Your OWN Head? Maybe? So how about wrapping up the other half or freezing them or whatever it is you find you need to do with them to get the away from you and grabbing some water and ploppin a workout video, journaling about how you feel, resetting some goals...things like that might make a world of difference! I find being mad at myself can help for a bit but then I need to quickly move on or the other half gets eaten!:blushing: :noway: :sad: :laugh:

So the heater wasn't working, major stress can cause trigger food issues at times or whatever other issues we have learned to use for coping in the past... doesn't mean you're a loser:noway: , means this time you simply chose a less kind method of dealing with stress for yourself than you might the next time.:flowerforyou:

Stupid heater:angry::wink: :tongue:

FC:heart:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

honesty like that is refreshing
    thank you
  • Tailea
    Tailea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So the heater wasn't working, major stress cause trigger food issues or whatever other issues we have learned to use... doesn't mean you're a loser, means you chose a less kind method of dealing with stress for yourself than you might the next time.:flowerforyou:

I love when you post here. Everything you say is always so positive and I really do appreciate the kind words, but I do make excuses and I use food to medicate my problems and when I try to tell myself I just messed up this once it won't happen again, I know it will. I'm just sick of doing it. I've been here a week and I haven't been able to do well food-wise (though I haven't missed a day at the gym), and I think total accountability really will help me.

:flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I think you should try it...its all baby steps ....I wish you much success!! Im gonna try to stick to this as well ...to help keep me accountable....I dont binge but this will definately help me steer clear of it.....Good Luck!!:drinker:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I don't think you'll find yourself being called that here Chick a Dee:wink: But maybe that's what you're saying to yourself in Your OWN Head? Maybe? So how about wrapping up the other half or freezing them or whatever it is you find you need to do with them to get the away from you and grabbing some water and ploppin a workout video, journaling about how you feel, resetting some goals...things like that might make a world of difference! I find being mad at myself can help for a bit but then I need to quickly move on or the other half gets eaten!:blushing: :noway: :sad: :laugh:

So the heater wasn't working, major stress can cause trigger food issues at times or whatever other issues we have learned to use for coping in the past... doesn't mean you're a loser:noway: , means this time you simply chose a less kind method of dealing with stress for yourself than you might the next time.:flowerforyou:

Stupid heater:angry::wink: :tongue:

FC, everything you write is like a hug made out of words. :smooched:
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Tailia,

We won't exclude you because you ate half a pan of brownies. But, maybe it would help if you consider your body as a business. The brownies are a sunk cost. You'll never get those calories back, but you can learn from your mistake. When starting your business, you create a plan, just like you should do with your fitness and nutrition. You write a mission statement. You have a vision. You have long-term and short-term goals clearly defined, and whenever you venture too far off your path, you return to your business plan and mission statement and refocus yourself. Tomorrow is another day. But we won't be telling you that eating a pan of brownies is ok. We'll just tell you to learn from it, move on, and don't let it happen again! Evaluate why it happened (lack of preparation? stress? It was just there?), and do your absolute best to make sure you don't have a situation where it could happen again.

Hope this helps.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    So the heater wasn't working, major stress cause trigger food issues or whatever other issues we have learned to use... doesn't mean you're a loser, means you chose a less kind method of dealing with stress for yourself than you might the next time.:flowerforyou:

I love when you post here. Everything you say is always so positive and I really do appreciate the kind words, but I do make excuses and I use food to medicate my problems and when I try to tell myself I just messed up this once it won't happen again, I know it will. I'm just sick of doing it. I've been here a week and I haven't been able to do well food-wise (though I haven't missed a day at the gym), and I think total accountability really will help me.

:flowerforyou:
    I added more to my post:laugh: Well when I'm kind I never mean it to be so someone can make excuses but more so perhaps a person can give up the beating up part which never has worked for me and be able to acknowledge their behavior, chalk it up to an OOPS, damn I wanna NOT do that next time... so let's take time to do that now.....sort of thing.

So if I come across as kind and positive while doing that ...YAY!

I just know that beating myself up never helps me move forward, but honesty does!:tongue:
    and thanks btw...:drinker: