January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I have a group gear question. Rain jacket suggestions? From the inexpensive to the wahooo, let me hear 'em.

I have a cheap TJ Max find windbreaker type that is a Columbia brand. It’s nice for mist, wind and drys fairly fast or is at least good at keeping a wet layer away from you. It’s water resistant not proof. 8$. The hood works well.

For a water proof layer I run in a regular rain jacket from Magellan. I think it’s an Academy brand similar to the north face brand, a copy cat. At copy cat prices. Prob 20-30$. Pro is that i can use it anytime, drawback is that it’s not meant for running and the hood is imperfect for running. This may be retired or replaced once i decide i need a real rain running jacket.

And my newest addition is the Nike aerolayer. I got it for warmth not realizing it’s water proof or repellent (not sure yet). It doesn’t have a hood. It’s Nike. Think it was $120-ish. Sleeves are long with thumb holes, so that nice.

I found a jacket for dh at tjmaxx. It was a real find, ~20-30$. It’s a Nike brand, I can’t say which one it is. It just says “Nike pro training”. Dh says it’s too warm, but it is designed for rain. It’s light. Probably something I’d like to have to replace my “rain” running jacket. “Too warm” for me just means I can shed a layer of two and won’t work for spring runs.

Nice question @workaholic_nurse ( I need a new rain jacket). :wink:
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep - I used to keep them in a snack sized ziplock. (Regular ziplock width but only like 2 inches deep). It seemed to contain them well, and even if I did do something dumb, it minimized how much of a mess it would make. My friend and I would just split one when running together. But when alone I always had half’s to deal with.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5k today! My pace was under 13 minutes per mile. I know it’s slow but it was great for me and I didn’t come in last 😁

YAY!!! WELL DONE!!!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @ContraryMaryMary and @PastorVincent I dont really need tops, I am content running in $3 tops from k-mart lol. thought in winter that may change and Ill look at investing in a proper winter top. I was ok this winter... This is the Wellington half. i did it 8 years ago, and it was agony, and I didnt run again for 6 years because it was so horrible. Part of that was my fault (no training at all) and part of it was the weather. My goal this year is to slay the demon that I feel every time I see the wellington water front lol.

I may take up the socks then. They are usually $30. Sold for $20. so a decent offer.

Spend some serious money and get a good merino (snug fitting). They're the best for running in the cold and wet. If it's freezing and windy, throw a windbreaker over the top. I got one from Icebreaker years ago (like 15 years ago) and it's still going strong, however the quality isn't quite as good now, even though the prices are still eye-watering. I'd get Icebreaker again over any other brand, just not their superfine ones though - I put a thumb through mine when it was wet!

When I ran Christchurch, which was 7 degrees, wet and breezy, I wore a mid-level Icebreaker and Adidas tech t-shirt (and hat and gloves!!), and was fine after I warmed up (about three kilometres in). Wellington would be much the same methinks.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I have a group gear question. Rain jacket suggestions? From the inexpensive to the wahooo, let me hear 'em.

Run speciality retail worker here! :) My favorite jacket that we sell is the Brooks LSD jacket. I have a reflective version which has reflective detailing front and back, but there are non-reflective versions that are less expensive. It's a thin shell, but it's fairly breathable, and I'll wear it over a t-shirt, long-sleeve or half-zip, depending on temperature. It's my go-to jacket for rain (and snow!), especially if I'm running at night. You can find the jacket here (and it's on sale!): https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/search?q=LSD jacket

Other popular options: Nike Flash Hooded jacket (https://www.runningwarehouse.com/Nike_Womens_Flash_Hooded_Shield_Print_Jacket/descpage-NIWFSP1.html) and I've heard amazing review of the Patagonia Houdini jacket (https://www.runningwarehouse.com/Patagonia_Womens_Houdini_Jacket/descpage-PHJ01W1.html).

Gah! I have to have that Patagonia jacket now! Hahaha!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5k today! My pace was under 13 minutes per mile. I know it’s slow but it was great for me and I didn’t come in last 😁

Great job!!!!