WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Dishwashers ~ I only run mine about every other day. Mainly because I wash pots and pans by hand. Ours is probably 15 yrs old (Kitchen Aid) and does a great job. Must say that I rinse everything off pretty good before I load it.

Tracy ~ I finally figured out that the cream with the brown & lace on either side was the invitation. Agree with Penny that the two hearts sounds good.

Damp cold here today! Wishing for sunshine! :'(B)

Carol in GA
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Dishwashers - I try to remember to run mine once a month or so. (I should do it the day I do measurements so I remember.). There’s only the two of us. I wash things as I cook so by the time we eat, there’s generally only plates and utensils. Sometimes a pan, but I usually wash it before I start eating. Hubs does the dishes since I normally cook.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Karen in VA and Beth
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Carol I think the restaurant in hove is "etch." - little 'e' with a period after the 'h' - the ones in Sedona and Nashville are "Etch" - capitalized and no "." after the 'h'.
    etch. vs Etch
    I just re-read that. You might think I've had a stroke, but I haven't.
    . . .
    This made me snort!
    I didn't get this, :huh: could you help me understand?

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.

My explanation was so convoluted I thought people might think I'd lost it.

The two restaurants have similar, but not the same, names. etch. vs Etch

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: We don’t have a labeled “eco-wash” but it works like one. It does the dishes overnight and runs for a very long time. We have chosen to use the 1 hour wash cycle and have been happy with it. We’ve run the new dishwasher a total of four times. The first was empty and the others were all full. The dishes, pots and pans have all come out sparkling clean. We’re very pleased. :star: Speaking of calories creeping up, I need to confess to adding a few pounds due to ice-cream and will not buy big containers of it again any time soon. :embarassed:

Lanette: I’ve been watching Outlander on STARZ. I read every one of the books and have them on my bookshelf. The production is excellent and I’m enjoying it. :heart:

Pip: Hot water outside? Decadent!!! Lucky you. :bigsmile:

Michele: Do you put a rinse aid in your dishwasher? It helps the glassware to sparkle. Dishes, too. :wink:

Kim: DH puts a closed cell pad under the mattress pad on his side of the bed. Our son and daughter n law talked us into getting closed cell foam mattresses a few years ago. I don’t mind, but DH doesn’t like the level of support so the closed cell pad under the mattress pad is a help for him. :ohwell:

Wizzywig: This is a chatty group & it is very easy to fall behind. You are not the only one. :noway:

Machka: Congratulations on your half marathon. :smiley:

I am out of time to respond to two more pages of posts. It is time to go to yoga. I plan to be back here a bit later.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy National Clean Off Your Desk Day!

"This day is an opportunity to begin your new year with a clean and organized workspace. Whether your desk is in a private or shared office, cubicle, home or a make-shift desk on the counter, having your workspace uncluttered, organized, refreshed and clean will help you work more efficiently and give you a sense of serenity." Man oh man do I need that!

Cathy - I might have to order some of those yoga pants from Costco. I prefer wide leg and capri length, but the long ones would probably be good to have in cooler weather.

Kylia - Such a sweet photo of Aubrey in her mother's arms. I'm so glad she was well enough for that to happen! Wish I had your snow - it is beautiful. There's something peaceful about a snow-covered landscape... at least there is when you don't have to shovel it!

Penny - I don't have a word-of-the-day calendar either. In fact, I don't have any physical calendars except the ones my in-laws insist on giving us every Christmas. I hang one of those on the fridge and put the rest in the donation box because I use Google Calendar for pretty much everything.

Barbie - Our decluttering and downsizing efforts continue. I'm putting the decluttering book on my Nook wish list - thank you for the recommendation!

Karen - Kudos to your grandson for coming up with a plan for his civics test. He does seem to have found a way to do it with minimal studying by just identifying what he needed to focus on, but hey - it worked!

Kate - Condolences on the passing of your friend.

Katla - Me too. I couldn't wait for my gallbladder to come out, and I rejoiced when it was over with. That little sack of bile caused me many hours of agony.

We spent four days at the beach so I had to skim a lot to catch up, but it was so fabulous. This was our maiden voyage with our new travel trailer and it couldn't have gone better. We parked right on the beach. I made a lot of good choices for breakfast and dinner, allowed myself to enjoy dinners, and of course we walked and walked and walked. The scale says I'm a couple of pounds up this morning, but I suspect that's mostly water weight. Guess we'll see over the next few days. At any rate, it was heavenly to finally get my feet in the surf again.

Here's the view from our front door:
    1p1lyag2bldr.jpg

One thing I noticed is that when I had a walk on the beach with Luna in the morning, seeing a hefty percentage of my step count already behind me helped keep me motivated to keep it up. I'm such a night owl that I doubt I could safely work out at the gym or on the ski machine first thing in the morning, but given a coffee infusion I can mostly manage to walk in a straight line. I think I'm going to start getting up a half hour earlier on weekdays so I can get a head start on steps for the day before I sit down at my desk to work.

MFP logging has been really tetchy for me lately, and as a result I didn't even try to log while I was gone. I did my logging on Noom instead. I haven't put in my breakfast yet today but I'm hoping they've fixed whatever database issue they were having!

Welcome to any new people, and apologies if I missed any important news while I was out...

-Yvonne in TX
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Gorgeous, Tracey! I looked at all three images. I don't know if you're trying to choose one or intend to use all three. Just in case you're trying to choose, I'll say my piece.

I love the look of the key, but I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to signify. I racked my brain for a while but didn't come up with anything. :flushed: (I'm a simple soul. o:))
    The single heart looked a bit lonely.
    I say go for the double hearts. :heart: :heart: I can guess what they mean. :lol:
    /Penny at the t07190.gif

Thanks, we decided against the key as it will be too heavy to mail. Her theme is Vintage Love. She is using antique skeleton keys with little tags on them as the table number chart. I inadvertently posted the wrong pictures. We decided on one small heart stained dark on the first opening. The inside we will leave with just the lace. We decided once the words are written it will be just enough.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    Kkkkk
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,130 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,130 Member
    Options
    Heather: Do not be guilted into something that will impinge on your well earned retirement. I think you are right to keep yourselves free to enjoy your life.

☘️ Irish Terri
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Carol: We love the Whirlpool dishwasher but aren’t thrilled with getting damaged goods twice. The first was impossible to put up with—a sharp crease in the middle of the door. The second has a dent in a spot on the back that is not visible now that it is installed. It doesn’t seem to interfere with performance. We tried to call the company but they gave us the run around and tell us to take it up with the store where we purchased it. :grumble:

Karen in VA: You are brilliant. Your grandson is lucky to have you. :star:

Heather: You are wise to avoid committing to a regular child care obligation. The occasional emergency would be fine but not a regular commitment to certain days. :noway: Have you noticed that the word boisterous starts with the sound made when a person says boy? Clearly it was no coincidence. It probably should be spelled boysterous. :wink:

Yvonne: I understand your pain and your delight to be gallbladder free. I only had one gallstone but it was the size and shape of a robin’s egg. I’m glad it went away with the gallbladder surgery. Pain free is very nice. :bigsmile:

Feeling grumpy toward Whirlpool, but we like the dishwashser.

I am NOT grumpy about the chance to watch Outlander on TV. The production is excellent. I have the whole series of books on my bookshelf. I've been a fan for a very long time. :heart: :bigsmile: :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Went to my balance class this morning and it was packed. Guess the word is out about how good it is. I hesitate to type this because I don’t know if I can believe my eyes but I lost 1.5 pounds last week. I weigh every day. It has been a long time since I’ve lost anything. The three things I did different were: eliminated sweets and extra sugar, drank more water and exercised five days. I can continue to do this.
    Our book club reviewed, “The Color of Lightening” today. Very interesting book.
    Heather- I agree you were right to not commit to one day a week because you deserve your freedom.
    Yvonne- I walk in my house as soon as I get up and usually get from 500 to 1000 steps in which helps if it is too cold to walk outside.
    SueBDew in TX
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    WOW! So far behind, I will never catch up; but KLUTZ here and getting better. Went to NeuroSurgeon today and talked with the NP (after I had told the intake lady that I really wasn't so keen on NPs). Mainly because the 3 times I was supposed to see my Neurologist - I was told - first off, you WILL be seeing the NP; the 2nd time - I expected to see him, he had been called away due to an emergency and would not be back until after the year's end. So saw her again. Don't get me wrong, she is really nice; but, the 3rd time - I ended up seeing her when I did expect to see my Neurologist and burst into tears; especially when I wanted to talk to HIM about how being off the Dilantin is going. After our discussion, I was not prepared to have her tell me that she thought I should be seeing a local Psychiatrist. NO; I do not want to; then she suggested seeing the NP at a psychologist's office. OH, Hell NO! I had one ask if I would mind having my Mother sitting in the room with us; no reason not to - because I would write in a notebook what I was ready to discuss. We all sat down and she said, 'did you know this had happened ...'? WHAT? I wanted to get up and slap her across the face and walk out. Did not 'slap' her; but, we did walk out. It had happened over 20 years prior to that time. Why would she think she had the right to tell my Mother something so personal? Then my boss had to write her a nasty letter when she would not return my books. She finally did return them; but, not until after he threatened her about it. She probably copied them; but, that is a lifetime ago.

Do you want to know the details of my KLUTZY move? Probably not ... but here we go. Well, first off, I was being impatient with Louis because I wanted him to get something that I was pretty sure he had on the dash of his truck, so I head out of the house and took a misstep and apparently rolled down the 7 steps hitting the carport concrete with my head. I must have screamed out; but, do not remember anything for 5 days, even now - time means nothing to me. The big bump on my 'hard' head has gone down about 1/2 since my last CT Scan 10 days ago; but, they wanted to continue looking at it; but, agreed that I could 'take a break' from having the CT Scan for another couple of weeks. It feels like it has a scab over it and my son said that it was very bruised. I was black and blue all over; but, no blood on my boots. Go Figure! Right where I cut my leg going down. No blood - great because they are my most favorite boots. Louis called Trey and then 9-1-1 and they (Louis, Trey, and Taylor) followed us to Phoebe Americus; ER MD stapled the cut; but, because they don't have Neurological services, I had to be again put into an ambulance and sent to Albany's Phoebe. Don't remember a whole lot about it. I am doing pretty good to remember how to walk with a walker (PT said it was better than a cane; because of the stability). He just doesn't know how fast I walk; but, kept trying to get me to slow down and not have my line of posture back (outside) of the space of the walker. He made adjustments to it and to my cane and they were a lot better feeling than they were back in the late 80's when I was involved in a bad near-fatal collision - my say-so about cellphones and driving! That was when a carphone had a thingy to hang it up and you had to know how to make it click. Missed mine, leaned over (where I thought the road was smooth and could grab it quickly; then, woke up to find a GMC grill in my windshield. I think I will definitely slow down a lot. Now I understand why I am on a driving restriction and why Louis and the boys, their wives, and all 4 granddaughters do not think I need to drive again. I think the hardest part of that is the sense of loss of control over my life. But, I definitely do not want to be in another collision and I'd never forgive myself if I hurt or killed someone totally innocent. After riding into Albany about 'lunchtime' ... I really do NOT want to be given the 'go ahead' to drive. I will just deal with it the best way I can. Trey told his Dad that he 'thought' we needed to put in a ramp. Talk about feeling old(er). We were coming into town and a white car was in the left-hand side of the road with a truck that looked like it was going to run her down. If she had suddenly stopped, he would have crushed her. Rode by and it was a little old white woman who could not see over the steering, staring through it. Must have been her or her sisters; coming back to Dawson and trucks running up behind them to try to make them move over. My DnL that is married to our oldest son drives in the passing lane, but, she is running well over the speed limit. My oldest granddaughter only rides in that lane if she is passing someone - but I was the one who taught her to drive - more or less. I'd make her drive home from school most of the time. Even before she was old enough to drive; as soon as we got off the paved road, she wanted to drive down the dirt road to our home (a good 5 miles). Middle granddaughter is now driving and she must have had several of her friends teaching her. She started driving in mid-August which would have been the deadline for when she would be able to get her driving license. Learner's Licenses do have an expiration time on them. Never thought about that because the day I turned 16 I was sitting in the State Trooper's office to 'drive' and pass - I had already taken the written test when I got my Learner's License.

I'm here; but, probably won't make any comments. My brain and thinking are still foggy. Now I know why kids nowadays just 'pull it up on the Internet' ... oh, good grief, I could just see them 'sounding it out and looking it up. I can remember asking my Mother 'how to spell something' and she would tell me 'sound it out', then look it up. HOW can you look up something you don't know how to spell in the first place?

Hope all of you had a nice Christmas and New Year. I'm just happy to see 2019 here.

Then my oldest sister called and told me about a friend of hers who had fallen and a week later they found her dead. I'm NOT that old - I really did not want to hear it. Middle sister hasn't called since Louis called to tell her about it. Nothing other than Trey saying she is still Trump-bashing and had posted about 15 pictures with the 'story of the day in a row''. He told me, "Mom, that boy, and girl that she went to school with have blasted her a new one. I could understand why.

Can you believe "Miss Perfect" 10 on a scale of 9.5 with her gymnastics moves? You can tell she LOVES it and it is good that she has such positive teammates and coaches.

Well ... that is about all of it for a while.

Oh, Michelle - if the pants have a button and buttonhole, she could tread a strong rubber band through the buttonhole and loop it over the button ... I did that for a pretty long time, and definitely did it when I was pregnant; but, that was before it was like it is nowadays when everything is so formfitting. I still can't get over that.

Lenora
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    heather - I don’t blame you a bit for saying no. We agreed a few years ago to watch out Grandson every Sunday. I was so fortunate that I could take him with me whenever and wherever and my other daughter would take him if necessary, but it became tiring. We will be doing it every other Saturday coming up soon but again the condition is if I give notice I can’t they will make other arrangements.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Oh, Heather - I agree with Teri - don't let your children try to 'dictate' what you and your husband should do. If she can afford to have a cleaner come in ... I am pretty sure that she could find a young lady in the neighborhood that could come 'sit' for a few hours. Don't let them guilt-trip either of you. You moved to be 'close' to the grandkids' but, you did not move to become their nanny. They need to know that when Nana and Papa come over it is a 'treat'. But, I know how it will make you feel. I did not become the easy baby sitter when Emilee came along; do what I did ... work and pay for a sitter or child-care.

Take care and I am happy to see that you and hubby are on the same dance page. Y'all need to enjoy your retirement and committing to a day a week will get old quickly.

Lenora