Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    January accountability ~14 day so far
    Me (no alcohol): 9 days
    Alcohol: 5 days (11 drinks)

Jan 14 - AF - ding ding ding DH & I had steak without red wine!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,514 Member
    December 31st - 1 pumpkin spice cream liqueur, 2 mixed drinks. I did not get to the champagne.
    January 1st - AF
    January 2nd - AF
    January 3rd - AF
    January 4th - 3 drinks Friday night. I actually had 4, but then threw up lol. This is the reason that I never have more than 3 if I choose to have drinks. Good reminder. Yes, I can never be "drunk" because I can't have more than 3.
    January 5th - AF So curious that each and every day that I have drinks I am down 2 pounds the following day. I think that I read somewhere on this post that it dehydrates you. It comes back the next day of course : - )
    I don't log my AF or not AF until the following morning for the night before.
    January 6th - AF - 5 days out of 6. Very busy week, so more AF days to come.
    January 7th - AF - 6 days out of 7 for the month
    January 8th - AF - 7 days our of 8 for the month so far
    January 9th - AF - 8 days out of 9
    January 10th - 1 champagne, later on 3 drinks
    January 11th - 2 drinks - 8 out of 11 AF. I am pleased with that.
    January 12th - 3 drinks - 8 out of 12 AF. Going to rack up some more AF days.
    January 13th - AF - 8 days out of 13
    January 14th - AF - 9 days out of 14
    January 15th -
    January 16th -
    January 17th -
    January 18th -
    January 19th -
    January 20th -
    January 21st -
    January 22nd -
    January 23rd -
    January 24th -
    January 25th -
    January 26th -
    January 27th -
    January 28th -
    January 29th -
    January 30th -
    January 31st -
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    CMB44512 wrote: »

I have been a faithful reader here following this particular thread for about a year. I rarely and mean RARELY post. I am also MALE.
    I know the people that keep this thread active and alive without fail are Saints. And without my daily read here I would be so far gone with over drinking, I would not be able to type.
    What I am saying is in all that time I never took offense to women on here commenting on their neighbor, Mother, S.I.L, co-workers or husbands as negativity or slamming as unsupportive.
    And there are plenty of men posting here, maybe just not as often as these fine ladies.
    Good work Gals.

Thank you for the kind words @CMB44512. It has been a very long time since seeing you post. Happy to hear you are still reading daily and staying on your path to having less alcohol in your life.
    We appreciate you coming out of the wood work. Be well my friend.
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    I don't mean to bash my husband. It isn't that he is totally unsupportive. He actually has cut back drinking a lot himself, it's just that we both have different meanings of cutting back. I only want to drink once per week and have a few drinks that one time per week. He wants to drink once or twice per week but it doesn't matter to him how much he drinks those nights so as long as he isn't drinking every day like he used to. I tell him that I only want to drink Friday nights but since I always go to my sister's on Fridays he gets offended that I don't want to drink on Saturdays. It's just frustrating the ways he tries to get me to drink at times, like buying more alcohol than usual or sometimes will even buy my favorite wine to tempt me.

I agree with what others said about men not wanting to post on a message board about their drinking goals as much as women might. My husband would never do it, but I'm sure there are plenty who would who aren't even aware threads like this exist. I'm sure there are plenty of women lurking and never posting on here too. I want to check in daily or most every day even just to ramble randomly about things because I feel like it helps.
  • MissMay
    December 31st - 1 pumpkin spice cream liqueur

Everytime you post and I read this, it makes me want to bake a cheese cake that tastes like that. Lol
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Lilylady3k wrote: »

That is a huge win! We are going out to a steak restaurant on Thursday night and not going to have my usual wine. Sticking with my goals in January! Great job!
  • MissMay
    BuffMom84 wrote: »
    It's just frustrating the ways he tries to get me to drink at times, like buying more alcohol than usual or sometimes will even buy my favorite wine to tempt me.

I agree with what others said about men not wanting to post on a message board about their drinking goals as much as women might. My husband would never do it, but I'm sure there are plenty who would who aren't even aware threads like this exist. I'm sure there are plenty of women lurking and never posting on here too. I want to check in daily or most every day even just to ramble randomly about things because I feel like it helps.

@BuffMom84 no need to explain or to justify for your posts. You are well within reason to vent anyway you want. I totaly get it. They(which could mean anyone) know that at one time those particular beverages produced which appeared to be good times for both of you. They see it as a loving gesture to get back to that happy event mode. At least that is what I have concluded from a lot of reading, plus asking my own spouse.

I most certainly can change the topic & stir the pot into a lather by talking about my drunkin 79 year Mother-In-Law. I can save that subject for another day.
    BIG HUGS TO YOU @BuffMom84
  • MissMay
    On to day 15 AF.

Update on the weekend: Dinner out was nice! I only felt a brief pang of wanting a drink when I saw two girls take a shot when they arrived. But then it made me wonder why you need a shot before you have dinner with a friend...

Edit: After rereading that bolded sentence, I realized how judgemental I sound. I don't want to delete it, but I'd like to acknowledge it since who am I to judge? I've done similar if not worst in the past!

It is all part of your awareness now. You are not being judgmental. Proud you see what you could not before. Congrats on your successful night out. Oh and I drink coffee with dinner so your not alone. WIN WIN
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Lilylady3k wrote: »

That is a huge win! We are going out to a steak restaurant on Thursday night and not going to have my usual wine. Sticking with my goals in January! Great job!

My hubby made pot roast the other night and I wanted a glass of red pretty bad. But I didn't. (Would have been better with it though...)
  • springsweet
    Tomorrow there is a meet n greet at our local neighborhood bar. I'm looking forward to it, as I've wanted to meet people in our new hood but have had a hard time. I told myself I'd just have a sprite but now I'm wondering if I should just say f it and have a glass of wine. Especially considering the calories. They'd probably be about the same anyway. SMH...
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Tomorrow there is a meet n greet at our local neighborhood bar. I'm looking forward to it, as I've wanted to meet people in our new hood but have had a hard time. I told myself I'd just have a sprite but now I'm wondering if I should just say f it and have a glass of wine. Especially considering the calories. They'd probably be about the same anyway. SMH...

@Springsweet I guess that depends on how committed you are to your goals and why you decided to go AF for January. There is a Sprite Zero which doesn't have any calories. Also, have you ever thought about ordering a mocktail instead? Since you like Sprite, maybe a Virgin Mojito? Practically no calories, light, refreshing and no guilt from sabotaging your AF goal. Just something to think about before you make your decision... :wink:
  • springsweet
    edited January 2019

@Springsweet I guess that depends on how committed you are to your goals and why you decided to go AF for January. There is a Sprite Zero which doesn't have any calories. Also, have you ever thought about ordering a mocktail instead? Since you like Sprite, maybe a Virgin Mojito? Practically no calories, light, refreshing and no guilt from sabotaging your AF goal. Just something to think about before you make your decision... :wink:

I'm going AF mainly to cut out the calories and hopefully lose some weight. Although I haven't been too successful yet. I've lost like 2 lbs.
    But I also wanted to break the habit of having wine every day after work.
    I was thinking the sprite could be like a mocktail? I don't know, I don't usually drink liquor. I mainly stick to wine and beer.
    I would feel much more motivated if I had lost say, 5 lbs at this point. (i'm rolling my eyes.)
    I really thought cutting out the alcohol would result in more weight loss.

Sorry... getting negative again. :(
  • BuffMom84

I'm going AF mainly to cut out the calories and hopefully lose some weight. Although I haven't been too successful yet. I've lost like 2 lbs.
    I was thinking the sprite could be like a mocktail? I don't know, I don't usually drink liquor. I mainly stick to wine and beer.
    I would feel much more motivated if I had lost say, 5 lbs at this point. (i'm rolling my eyes.)

Losing two pounds sounds awesome to me, great job! Haven't weighed myself in a while but I think I have GAINED weight since cutting way back on alcohol. Now that I'm not drinking on Thursdays and/or Saturday nights, I find I am snacking way more (I usually don't snack while I'm drinking). Even on healthier foods all the calories add up.
  • springsweet

Losing two pounds sounds awesome to me, great job! Haven't weighed myself in a while but I think I have GAINED weight since cutting way back on alcohol. Now that I'm not drinking on Thursdays and/or Saturday nights, I find I am snacking way more (I usually don't snack while I'm drinking). Even on healthier foods all the calories add up.

Thanks. It's frustrating isn't it? I'm trying to add more (ok, some) exercise in this week bc I think that may help. I'm doing a 16/8 fast every day so snacking isn't my issue. Maybe it really is my age. I never had a great metabolism but maybe being 43 is working against me. :(
  • springsweet

I quit drinking for 8 months back in 2011. All that time I indulged in sweets to get the sugar my body was missing and craving. So I didn't lose any weight then. But that wasn't why I quit drinking.
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member

Sorry... getting negative again. :(

@springsweet Losing 2 pounds is better than gaining two pounds or not losing at all! Any improvement is a step in the right direction!

I hear you on wanting to break the habit of nightly wine. That's why I'm doing this. I don't know about mocktails myself, I am mostly just a wine drinker, too. Right now when I crave wine at night, I've been sipping on sparkling flavored water in a wine glass. It's definitely not the same, but something about the ritual of opening a can and pouring it into the glass is similar to wine and is helping. Plus, no calories!

Cutting out the alcohol will help the weight loss if you continue to log and watch other calories. I did a Sober October and I did lose weight and/or inches (I never measured myself, so can't say how much), although it was more obvious in the way my clothes fit, not so much a number on the scale.
  • BuffMom84

Thanks. It's frustrating isn't it? I'm trying to add more (ok, some) exercise in this week bc I think that may help. I'm doing a 16/8 fast every day so snacking isn't my issue. Maybe it really is my age. I never had a great metabolism but maybe being 43 is working against me. :(

When I was drinking 4-5 times per week, I was also trying to lose weight and ended up losing 30 lbs over five months just by counting calories. I would drink gin and sparkling water and I did track every drink! I guess what i'm wondering is if losing weight is your only reason for going AF this month?