Using up calories difficult

Options
124»

Replies

• trokey2110
    trokey2110 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    trokey2110 wrote: »
    As I’ve stated I weigh the blueberries chicken etc the only thing I didn’t count was the milk on the muesli
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I’ve set my diary to public

I really do suspect this is a logging issue. Check out the Logging Accurately post I linked to, and commit to really accurate and consistent logging for a couple of weeks, That will give you a good handle on where you really are and what you need to do going forward :drinker:
    logging issue? As in what way ..and the link ?

The first few days seem not fully filled out, and yesterday might not be.

Focusing on 1/14 first: are you sure you only had one tbsp of peanut butter? If so, eat more, that's an easy solution, but normally it's easy to eat more than you think. Also, why generic entry? Use the information for your own peanut butter.

Only one slice of bread? Is that the bread you ate?

Was the muesli eaten dry? How did you measure the amount?

How did you measure the chicken breast amount?

Are the brands exactly what you got? 100 g -- again, how did you measure?

Those two meals don't look especially filling, are you really saying that's all you ate and you can't eat more?

1/15: exact same amounts as the day before seems unlikely -- how are you measuring?

Exactly 100 g of blueberries?

Homemade entries are someone else's recipe -- what precisely was the potato and leek soup?

Exactly 100 g of chicken breast? Did you use any oil in cooking it?

Again, precise same amounts as before.

There are lots of nutrient-dense ways to up those calories, but logging can also be difficult at first, so it's worth making sure you aren't missing any items or calories.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I really do suspect this is a logging issue. Check out the Logging Accurately post I linked to, and commit to really accurate and consistent logging for a couple of weeks, That will give you a good handle on where you really are and what you need to do going forward :drinker:

Focusing on 1/14 first: are you sure you only had one tbsp of peanut butter? If so, eat more, that's an easy solution, but normally it's easy to eat more than you think. Also, why generic entry? Use the information for your own peanut butter.

Those two meals don't look especially filling, are you really saying that's all you ate and you can't eat more?

1/15: exact same amounts as the day before seems unlikely -- how are you measuring?

Homemade entries are someone else's recipe -- what precisely was the potato and leek soup?

There are lots of nutrient-dense ways to up those calories, but logging can also be difficult at first, so it's worth making sure you aren't missing any items or calories.

Seems to me that OP is going by nutrition label servings. Like, peanut butter jar label shows nutrition per tablespoon, so OP thinks they should have just one table spoon. Bread label shows nutrition per slice...

But the peanut butter is generic, not a specific brand that he might be using.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    As I’ve stated I weigh the blueberries chicken etc the only thing I didn’t count was the milk on the muesli

No cooking oil?

Did you weigh the peanut butter?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I realize we're all posting suggestions at once and it's going to get overwhelming fast. When you have some time, please go through the links that have been posted throughout this thread. There are some great ones, including a long list of foods you can eat to boost your calories on page one. Again, I just want to check that you're seeing those. Do they show up for you? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

If you've logged everything you've eaten this week, then we have a problem. 1,059 calories yesterday. 334 total calories the day before. That's too little. You seem to be sticking to what I think of as the traditional diet foods (chicken, fish, no oils, no starches, etc). Are there foods you like that you've cut out? Oils, butter, fattier cuts of meat, cheese, nuts, whole milk, potatoes, rice, sauces, etc? These would all be great ways to boost your calories.
  • lemurcat2
    edited January 2019
    Options
    MokhtarB wrote: »
    You can make both fit sure, but don't make junk food a constant thing to reach that calorie goal. I used to eat at 1500.. if this person is 180 they'll for sure lose weight at the deficit they're at, they'll shrink down in time. I wonder what's up with them being this weight whilst being unable to reach 1500.

The thread isn't about junk food. Why are you assuming OP (or the rest of us) need to be preached at about avoiding junk food.

I think some less nutrient dense foods fit well in my diet, and am more concerned with having an overall nutrient dense diet. You can eat no junk food and still not have a very great diet -- it's more about what you do eat than what you don't.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options

Seems to me that OP is going by nutrition label servings. Like, peanut butter jar label shows nutrition per tablespoon, so OP thinks they should have just one table spoon. Bread label shows nutrition per slice...

Very possible that they were looking at nutrition label for serving size but then simply typed "peanut butter" on mfp and logged the generic one instead of searching for the brand they used.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options

The OP appears to be eating less than 500 calories some days if their diary is truly accurate. In that context, a couple of cookies would be better for them overall than starving themselves.

Hopefully their diary is not accurate and up to date, but I think it would be a good thing to step back and look at the greater context here before telling the OP they need to cut a bunch more things out of their safe foods.

x100. yeesh the person is UNDER EATING and people are harping on "don't eat junk". we can worry about "healthy food" after they successfully eat and log the minimum daily calorie needs.

and one can totally eat junk and still loose weight (or better yet, a mix of healthy and junk).
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    So assuming everything is logged correctly, if you really are not able to eat more and feeling stuffed, I'd see a doctor. More likely you are limiting your diet so much that you can't think of anything you are allowed to eat that sounds good. Or, as I suspect, you are eating more than you think.

But some suggestions for eating more:

Breakfast -- add some full fat milk or greek yogurt and some nuts or maybe avocado. Add some fruit.

Lunch -- again, I don't understand the soup entry. Did you create a recipe? If so, eat more soup. You also would want to eat more protein in breakfast and/or lunch in general. Maybe put some cheese on the bread.

Dinner -- easiest: eat more chicken, cook it in olive oil. Have a salad on the side with some nuts and olives in it with a dressing you like on it containing fat. Eat something besides boneless skinless chicken breast.

One reason your diet doesn't seem that filling is that it's not that high in protein, low fat, and probably not high in fiber either.

Likely to result in better suggestion than mine: think about what foods you like and enjoy eating.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

Very possible that they were looking at nutrition label for serving size but then simply typed "peanut butter" on mfp and logged the generic one instead of searching for the brand they used.

Isn't the usual serving size for peanut butter 2 tbsp? (I never eat it, I'm weird and don't really like it.) But the bigger point is that many people tend to underestimate with peanut butter when using tbsp.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Avoid junk food! its caloric.. cause alot of the time its sugar. sugar is *kitten* for your body. natural sugars excluded. even then, chill on that. dont trust the machines and what they say about burning calories, they'll always say ridiculous numbers, dont get impatient but part of the weightloss journey, to your favor will be trial and favor. eat at 1500 calories a day and let the exercise be the extra punch against your excess weight. For some reason i think you mean youre trying to eat at 1500 calories, but since the calories take away from 1500 it makes it harder- you need to eat 1500 regardless of the exercise, and dont kill yourself working out.

Experience- lost 75 pounds in less than a year. Ive been through all this, AVOID JUNK FOOD

Suggesting OP eat 1500 cals and doesn't eat back exercise calories is irresponsible when you don't know their stats.

Im suggesting they eat a full 1500, and if the exercise calories subtract from that, okay. Let it look like 1500 consumed -300 exercise= 1200 NET. Or, they could cushion the exercise' caloric deficit by eating back the calories they burned? They're already at a deficit at 1500, id be pretty confident.

I didnt say OP should eat over their calorie goal, what I'm trying to understand is, is the fact that they're burning calories from exercise the difficulty in reaching 1500? We all agree that 1500 is a low amount to reach. There are plenty of foods to substitute in for junk food. Moderation, sure. But from what I see, they're struggling to reach 1500 pretty regularly, to the point where it is an issue. Substituting junk food that regularly is exactly what is junky about junk food.

I have no idea what any of that means to be honest when my comment was that you're suggesting the OP eat what is possibly an unhealthy amount.

• trokey2110
    trokey2110 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ok I guess something’s haven’t been fully logged but today I’ll get there thanks