Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,360 Member
    My mother is also a paper hoarder. Because she donates to charities, she's now on virtually every mission, charity, whatever mailing list out there. The solicitations come in bunches and she's so afraid of identity theft (nevermind that her info is ALREADY being sold and resold) that insists on cutting out name & address from every one of those solicitations and shredding it. So the amount of time involved to actually do what she wants is horrific and overwhelming and her desk has mounds of this trash piled and falling off. (She was hospitalized last year and I stole piles of this junk mail and disposed of it.)
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    cory17 wrote: »
    My mother is also a paper hoarder. Because she donates to charities, she's now on virtually every mission, charity, whatever mailing list out there. The solicitations come in bunches and she's so afraid of identity theft (nevermind that her info is ALREADY being sold and resold) that insists on cutting out name & address from every one of those solicitations and shredding it. So the amount of time involved to actually do what she wants is horrific and overwhelming and her desk has mounds of this trash piled and falling off. (She was hospitalized last year and I stole piles of this junk mail and disposed of it.)

If you have access to her banking records you should check up on her. My MIL was on a ton of political mailing lists, she's in her 90's, a few years ago her son finally caught on and checked. She had given away almost $40,000 to different political charities.

Most of them weren't legit, I had checked them out for her a few years before. It didn't stop her. I had warned her kids for years but they assumed she was sending out $5 checks.

A co-workers mother was sending money to a bunch of "lottery" and contest mailings. She was also almost broke when she died. The elderly are easy money for this kind of crap.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    I'm sorry to repost this pic again...but this is ME now:
    Help me and THANK YOU LORD, I LOVE this pic of me sooooo much--this is thrilling to finally be slim/trim--I LOVE seeing/BEING this pic! Size 8
    4hjhd8tb92nv.jpg

these pics below are me in October 2018/size 12/14--wow what a difference taking your time makes
    6a3s2xacj1gp.jpg
    tduseftye5qh.jpg

FROM THIS (below): (This wasn't even my heaviest, squeezing into a size 20w summer 2017)--one of the ONLY pics I allowed to be taken of me, I was so, ummmm..ashamed of getting photos of myself. I usually "hid" behind people or put kids or things in front of me for pics taken...I did this (avoided the camera like the plague for YEARS and YEARS :'( )
    BEFORE: I was somewhere around 208/210-215lbs

2qd1bzuib793.jpg

Gang, PLEASE NOTE: during ALL this time, the scale barely moved and though the scale weight "turtled" off of me(because I'm eating WHATEVER and WHENEVER I want to...my "want to's have changed though, 100% from when I was obese and overweight ( o:) THANK YOU JESUS o:) )--the inches and fat/excess were blasting off of/out of my mind/spirit/BODY something wonderful and amazingly terrifc ( I've got nice muscles in my arms and legs and no excess/loose skin at all)--without ANY exercising besides daily N.E.A.T./Decluttering and dancing while I cleaned/decluttered, that's all...it's utterly tremendous being down to size (in decluttering AND weight blastification) at LONG last B)

The change is amazing! The work you've put into your home, and the stress free time because of it, you decided to give yourself, has paid off.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Allgaun wrote: »

If you have access to her banking records you should check up on her. My MIL was on a ton of political mailing lists, she's in her 90's, a few years ago her son finally caught on and checked. She had given away almost $40,000 to different political charities.

Most of them weren't legit, I had checked them out for her a few years before. It didn't stop her. I had warned her kids for years but they assumed she was sending out $5 checks.

A co-workers mother was sending money to a bunch of "lottery" and contest mailings. She was also almost broke when she died. The elderly are easy money for this kind of crap.

It is worrisome! It's a fine balance between her independence & my reality. She's 89 and just stopped driving (was only local BUT TWO recent minor accidents) - was going to sell her vehicle for her (don't want her taken advantage of but she now says her friend wants to buy, mind you this friend needs to sell her vehicle first). Trying to get access to bank accounts partly to plan ahead and keep track of this kind of thing. She has zero interest in doing anything electronically. Thanks for listening!
  • snoo61
    Took another box out of my office!
    Going through old rolodex and tossing cards. Threw out an address book I used before my first marriage. That was 30+ years ago. Faced reality - hadn't needed or used it all this time, it can go.

Congratulations on getting rid of a box! It might not seem like much, but it adds up, believe me. I'm kind of shocked sometimes by the difference such little things make.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,166 Member
    Took another box out of my office!
    Going through old rolodex and tossing cards. Threw out an address book I used before my first marriage. That was 30+ years ago. Faced reality - hadn't needed or used it all this time, it can go.

Fantastic. In 2018 I tried to do a lot of decluttering. I have a ways to go still, but the progress really feels good. @cory17
  • snoo61
    Today I pulled an extra set of dishes out of the cupboard, filled the dishwasher, and got it going. Found a church in the area collecting for hurricane victims. I'm getting a load ready to donate to them. I'll have to pull my other dish sets out of the back room and get them cleaned up too. ( How did I end up with 5 sets of dishes?!)
  • snoo61 wrote: »
    Today I pulled an extra set of dishes out of the cupboard, filled the dishwasher, and got it going. Found a church in the area collecting for hurricane victims. I'm getting a load ready to donate to them. I'll have to pull my other dish sets out of the back room and get them cleaned up too. ( How did I end up with 5 sets of dishes?!)

Wow, great work! You’re on a roll!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Hi friends, just checking in; I have been de-cluttering for hours. I recommend put Marie Kondo (Netflix) on in the background and go for it. I am being ruthless with my stuff ; the rest of the family can deal with their stuff. Remember a few years ago, there was a movement just to have 100 items you love and donate the rest. I think if I could start all over, I would do that. We still have lots of snow and it's cold, so I have no excuse not to clean. Happy cleaning !
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    I really love the title of the article above about being "paralyzed " with all the mess and where do you begin. I can relate.

Thanks for those links- I'll read them a little later 😀
  • snoo61
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Hi friends, just checking in; I have been de-cluttering for hours. I recommend put Marie Kondo (Netflix) on in the background and go for it. I am being ruthless with my stuff ; the rest of the family can deal with their stuff. Remember a few years ago, there was a movement just to have 100 items you love and donate the rest. I think if I could start all over, I would do that. We still have lots of snow and it's cold, so I have no excuse not to clean. Happy cleaning !

Congratulations on getting so much decluttering done. I like the thought of just worrying about your things.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    "Clutter can affect our anxiety levels, sleep, and ability to focus.

It can also make us less productive, triggering coping and avoidance strategies that make us more likely to snack on junk and watch TV shows (including ones about other people decluttering their lives).

My own research shows our physical environments significantly influence our cognition, emotions and subsequent behaviours, including our relationships with others."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-21/marie-kondo-tidying-up-clutter-bad-for-you/10732968

It goes on to say how physical decluttering can help improve all those things.

That's what we've all been finding!! :heart:
  • snoo61
    Yesterday I pulled everything out of the cupboards above and to the left of the sinks. Washed them all ( cupboards). and put a lot of dishes in the dishwasher. I washed about a dozen vases, but will have to "rice" wash them today. Only keeping a few of them. Rearranged where things go, so it makes sense, and decluttered many dishes. @Orphia is right, my sense of peace is returning with every accomplishment.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!