January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Supplement question. I recently decided to start using electrolytes on the advice of several people, including my trainer. I got a couple tubes of the Nuun to try.

One is the Energy Blackberry Citrus, the other, Watermelon Electrolyte. The blackberry one isn't too bad. I've had 2, 1 as a drink, the other on my run yesterday. The OTHER one.....holy taste buds, I apologize! Now, I realize that the Watermelon one should be the one I need as that is the "electrolyte" one, but is there ANY way to make it actually palatable? My thing i guess is I don't like carbonated water, and that's what it tasted like. I just can't imagine doing a long run with that in my bottle.

Nuun is definitely carbonated. I think you can buy straight electrolytes sans flavour that dissolve into water.
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    It is currently -19C with a windchill of -29C. I brought 2 bags to work today: one filled with 'arctic running' clothes and one filled with gym clothes. Currently leaning strongly towards gym...

Can you run outside and grab a hot shower when you get back? I get the chills after a run in temps like that
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @dreamer12151 there are other options out there. you can try a different brand.
    i use the Gu version. light carbonation but other out there don't.
    skratch is up and coming and people really seem to like it
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Sweet!!! I just found out that I was picked in the lottery for a 50K on the Superior Hiking Trail in May!! I ran this last year and so far, it's been my favorite ultra. Incredibly beautiful, but very demanding. And there's beer and shots at the turn around.
    hbp96w0adzku.jpg
    gb8q84mhw2ab.jpg
    79fde8gx8wun.jpg

@workaholic_nurse you are inspiring yourself!
    @rheddmobile and @Scott6255 hope you guys have super races this weekend!

Congrats!!! Shots of Fireball? Wow! I never thought of Fireball as a running drink, lol.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

@MobyCarp This is exactly what I needed to see this morning!!! The pattern you have is almost exactly what I've done the last couple of years, lost easily to start, stayed the same for about a year, good drop then maintenance for a couple of years. I'm currently at the point where I've stayed the same for about a year, and now I want to do that final drop before maintenance. I stepped on the scaled this morning and it wasn't what I wanted it to say, but I keep reminding myself this is a long term goal. I'm aiming to lose 10kg in 6 months. I already lost the first 2 of that in the first couple of weeks (gotta love that water weight drop). One week gain is not the end of the world. Especially since I just started weight training this week, that's doing all sorts of stuff. I need to let last year go.

Two things... 1, you started weight training, that almost always results in some water weight gain. 2. hormones? I used to get really upset about the scale going up until I started tracking it and my cycle and discovered the scales show exactly when I ovulate. Light bulb moment! 3. You've had a cold, I'm pretty sure that has led to temporary increases too that dropped off later

@eleanorhawkins Thank you, thank you, thank you! Yes to the first two. 3rd, just getting over period but I know what you mean. I need to not weigh in all the time, it messes with me. I will stop now and leave it till the end of this 4 week program. At the end of the day measurements matter more but I can't get away from the scale lol. And I have to say the DOMS from weight lifting this week was extreme for me. I was still feeling Mondays workout on Friday - never had that before!

Sorry about your March HM, so disappointing. But heal! Sounds like you are on a good plan.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Sweet!!! I just found out that I was picked in the lottery for a 50K on the Superior Hiking Trail in May!! I ran this last year and so far, it's been my favorite ultra. Incredibly beautiful, but very demanding. And there's beer and shots at the turn around.
    hbp96w0adzku.jpg
    gb8q84mhw2ab.jpg
    79fde8gx8wun.jpg

That's awesome!! It looks like a fun time.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 You'll do great, rememer to enjoy it!
    @workaholic_nurse awww thanks.
    @Avidkeo I know what you mean, I have a terrible habit of hopping on the scales every single bloody morning. However it has ended up helping me discover patterns and learn what causes a lot of the fluctuations so maybe not such a bad thing after all. Those DOMS sound horrible, I'm not looking forward to those when I start back in with the lower body stuff!