Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I wouldn't substitute the butter, I actually think the more butter, the better. Just add the peanut butter (you should add how much PB you add to your log on top of the MiM.). It only needs about a tablespoon.

If you have the patience, have your oven/convection pre-heating while you're making the MiM. When it's done in the MW, cut it in half and pop it in the oven for 5-8 minutes to crisp the outside just a little bit. I like mine smothered in butter, but PB would be good too! Mmmmm Mmmmm!

Edit: I also want to add that a half TB of unsweetened cocoa powder is great with PB! Not quite Reeses PB cup good, but what is?!
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I finally got some flaxmeal from Trader Joe's last night and had the basic MIM for breakfast. It was yummy! I am so excited to try some variations... I used to love zucchini bread so I am going to try adding shredded zucchini. :)
  • kittrelle
    Options
    Hi guys. I have a problem digesting pork and beef. I have had this problem ever since i was a little girl. I pretty much stopped eating beef and pork when I was 9 because of this. Now that I am doing Atkins, I would really like to add these foods back to my diet for more variety. They still upset my digestive system though. Beef is the worst, even a small amount of beef bothers me. Pork is better, but still iffy. Interestingly bacon gives me no trouble at all. Do you know of any supplement or anything at all really that will help relieve my digestive upset? I am desperate!
    I feel bad for you- that's gotta make following low carb a little harder, but honestly, I'd focus on chicken, turkey and seafood. How about veal or lamb?? There's plenty of protein in all of those options, ...and you can add bacon for flavor!! I just hate to think of you suffering after eating a meal- that's what this way of eating is supposed to free us from!
  • bron_89
    bron_89 Posts: 33
    Options
    Bump!

I am going to be adding all the like minded thinkers as my MFP friends. :happy:
    I find that having low carber friends is the best way to reinforce ideas, share recipes, and support each other.

I am also very happy that a "disclaimer" was included in the introduction.

Glad to see so many people living the low carb life! :bigsmile:
    Cheers!:drinker:
    thanks for the friend request! :)
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't substitute the butter, I actually think the more butter, the better. Just add the peanut butter (you should add how much PB you add to your log on top of the MiM.). It only needs about a tablespoon.

If you have the patience, have your oven/convection pre-heating while you're making the MiM. When it's done in the MW, cut it in half and pop it in the oven for 5-8 minutes to crisp the outside just a little bit. I like mine smothered in butter, but PB would be good too! Mmmmm Mmmmm!

Edit: I also want to add that a half TB of unsweetened cocoa powder is great with PB! Not quite Reeses PB cup good, but what is?!

You're killing me! Now I have to go and mix my chocolate and peanut butter in my MIM! And I'm going to love it because I'm a huge fan of chocolate and peanut butter...!
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Anyone have Induction recipe ideas. I definately need to stock up on some flax meal, cauliflower, zucchini and cabbage but I would love some recipes because we are bored with our meals right now. Breakfast ideas also welcome.
  • dishwalla
    Options
    mmm Breakfast :)
    i love hake fillet (with a thai spice), esp with some grilled tomato and mushrooms

those Atkins revolutions rolls are also a nice change with some minced meat

mini crustless quiche is always a great idea (make in a muffin tray) :)
    just like making scrambled eggs, but a little baking powder : i love spinach, cherry tomatoes and diced bacon -
    then add grated cheese on top :)
    have yet to try the MIM but am sure the quiche has a way lower carb count
  • snikrepa2003
    Options
    IS anybody else's MIM gritty..or am I trippin?! :P i love the idea of it I just can't do the texture any advice?
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Quiche is a great idea.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have a website with a bunch of recipes that are induction friendly. I'm working constantly to update it. It's in my sig below :)
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    IS anybody else's MIM gritty..or am I trippin?! :P i love the idea of it I just can't do the texture any advice?

I need to know exactly what you are using. Like the brand of Milled Flax seed and everything. Mine never came out gritty. I used 2 diff kinds of ground (milled) flax seed. I had Bob's (golden and regular) and wal-mart had one in a box I am not 100% sure of the brand but I believe it was Hodgdon Mills (sp) ..anyway It has to be super ground fine.

OH and I also would mix up my MIM ingredients and fry up 2 pancakes with that batter and use some s/f syrup and it's good too. Just for a change but kept the calories/carbs the same as a MIM
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I am happy to find this group! I will go back and read previous posts but first I wanted to introduce myself.

This morning as I enjoyed my coffee with my husband we tried fo find things in our house that equal our combined weightloss of just over 100lbs. We began our weightloss journey last winter because we felt he could not prepare for and implement an upcoming job change at 220. At the same time I signed up for the PMC (200 mile bike ride across MA in August) so I would have my own goal (completed 2 weeks ago). We feel fantastic in every way and as he left for his first day of work today I was so happy to see him confident in his appearance.

Nice to meet everyone!
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. I have a problem digesting pork and beef. I have had this problem ever since i was a little girl. I pretty much stopped eating beef and pork when I was 9 because of this. Now that I am doing Atkins, I would really like to add these foods back to my diet for more variety. They still upset my digestive system though. Beef is the worst, even a small amount of beef bothers me. Pork is better, but still iffy. Interestingly bacon gives me no trouble at all. Do you know of any supplement or anything at all really that will help relieve my digestive upset? I am desperate!
    I feel bad for you- that's gotta make following low carb a little harder, but honestly, I'd focus on chicken, turkey and seafood. How about veal or lamb?? There's plenty of protein in all of those options, ...and you can add bacon for flavor!! I just hate to think of you suffering after eating a meal- that's what this way of eating is supposed to free us from!

Thank you for your advice. I may try lamb, I have never had it before. I am also going to try some bison burgers. I have a friend who had trouble with beef, but had no problem with bison. Not being able to eat beef and pork has made my eating a little boring, but I will find a way to get some more variety in there.
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Do you think the MIM could be modified to make a decent bun for a burger? Any other bread-like recipes?
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks! Quiche is a great idea.

I was going to mention that too. Quiche is a great way to make breakfast ahead for an entire week (which may take a couple of quiches but whatever). The low carb web sites have many different quiche recipes, many of which get most of their protein from cheese.

I also made jalapeno poppers (spicy Italian sausage browned then mixed with cream cheese and spooned into split and cleaned jalapenos, wrapped in bacon and cooked on my smoker) and they are nice for a quick, on-the-go breakfast. They're maybe a bit too much processed meat for some people, but man are they delicious.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Do you think the MIM could be modified to make a decent bun for a burger? Any other bread-like recipes?

I made a MiM last night. Instead of using a mug, I used a bowl. Then I put it in the convection oven for a few minutes to crisp the sides a little bit.

I was going to slice it in half to make a sandwich for lunch today, but my wife "accidentally" broke a piece off and ate it. We ended up eating the whole thing as a snack before bed.

I'll try to make one tonight and we'll see if it will last any longer. I was also thinking of making a bagel type (onion & garlic) and eating it with some cream cheese.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    MIM French Toast! Mmmmmmm
  • LASH3S
    LASH3S Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Has anyone bought the new Atkins book and is it worth it? My fiance and I are starting this week... and i would really like to learn as much as I can about Atkins diet... i don't want to half *kitten* it.. :)
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    My wife has the newest book and I have DANDR (2002). I would suggest picking them both up. You can find the latter at a thrift shop for about $1.00 or less. Its nice to have both for comparison.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    Has anyone bought the new Atkins book and is it worth it? My fiance and I are starting this week... and i would really like to learn as much as I can about Atkins diet... i don't want to half *kitten* it.. :)

You might check your library. Mine had practically every edition of Atkins. I've got a checked out copy of New Diet Revolution on my desk right now. That is a really good book imo.

There's nothing wrong with buying the books but since I was just curious about the diet and not following it I decided to go with the cheapest option.