Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I started Keto and intermittent fasting in October after using the traditional lower caloric diet with ADA macros for most of my weight loss attempts. I am down 49 pounds total but only about 27 of that is while on Keto. Better than all of that my A1C is no longer Pre-Diabetic. My Cholesterol is back to normal range. My Psoriasis has gone away. I no longer crave carbs and I now feel satisfied after my meals. Fifty pounds still to go to my target weight but it is working for me. My doctor is thrilled. I eat more vegetables now than I ever have. I don't eat alot of fruits right now but will in the future probably.

...I am sure I naturally burn more calories before factoring in how Keto is reported to increase calorie burn by 250 calories daily in some study.

Care to share this amazing study?

https://everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/diet/study-shows-how-low-carb-diets-may-lead-weight-loss/

It was 209 greater calories in TDEE. There was no difference in Resting Expenditure, which is what a keto burn would imply.
    Even that claim seems to be based on assuming the calorie intake for the groups are accurate. Yet this wasn't any kind of metabolic ward study. Given observations in wards, it is more likely the low carb group was eating more than reported.

If you are interested, here is the actual study: https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k4583

Overall, it's not a bad designed study. This one, unlike Ludwig's previous studies, actually controls protein. But it's still a free living study with nutritional counseling as opposed to metabolic chamber testing. It notes "slight" increases in activity in the low carb groups. In comparison, the moderate carb group had a similar TDEE (~50 calorie different), which is still higher than the high carb group. It's possible I a missed it, but I saw no changes to RMR.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I started Keto and intermittent fasting in October after using the traditional lower caloric diet with ADA macros for most of my weight loss attempts. I am down 49 pounds total but only about 27 of that is while on Keto. Better than all of that my A1C is no longer Pre-Diabetic. My Cholesterol is back to normal range. My Psoriasis has gone away. I no longer crave carbs and I now feel satisfied after my meals. Fifty pounds still to go to my target weight but it is working for me. My doctor is thrilled. I eat more vegetables now than I ever have. I don't eat alot of fruits right now but will in the future probably.

...I am sure I naturally burn more calories before factoring in how Keto is reported to increase calorie burn by 250 calories daily in some study.

https://everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/diet/study-shows-how-low-carb-diets-may-lead-weight-loss/

It was 209 greater calories in TDEE. There was no difference in Resting Expenditure, which is what a keto burn would imply.
    Even that claim seems to be based on assuming the calorie intake for the groups are accurate. Yet this wasn't any kind of metabolic ward study. Given observations in wards, it is more likely the low carb group was eating more than reported.

If you are interested, here is the actual study: https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k4583

Overall, it's not a bad designed study. This one, unlike Ludwig's previous studies, actually controls protein. But it's still a free living study with nutritional counseling as opposed to metabolic chamber testing. It notes "slight" increases in activity in the low carb groups. In comparison, the moderate carb group had a similar TDEE (~50 calorie different), which is still higher than the high carb group. It's possible I a missed it, but I saw no changes to RMR.

I had the study, where do you think I got the number 209 from? Given it isn't a metabolic ward study and all maintained calories, I'm inclined to think there's just reporting errors over an actual figit spinner effect from being ketotaller
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

@trailjunkey those are awesome Keto results and similar to what I have experienced since Oct 2014.

While I am down a much needed 50 pounds I had no weight loss agenda but just to improve all of my health markers over time and to manage my pain levels without Rx Meds. I continue to maintain the way way I lost weight eating 3,000-4,000 calories daily. Now that I can walk any distance I wish and do not use power shopping carts any more I am sure I naturally burn more calories before factoring in how Keto is reported to increase calorie burn by 250 calories daily in some study.

4,000 calories is a lot of calories for 68 year old to burn in a day with just walking, not running.
    I'd also be interested in what study shows a 250 calorie change in metabolism for ketosis. It would tend to go against most of the literature on the subject I've ever seen.

But the 3000 calories days may make things average out. :)

If you are new here Oct 2014 on a hunch I cut out all foods containing added sugars and or any form of any grain. Then I learned about Keto and started to keeping my carbs just under 50 daily. It was for pain management and to dodge the risks associated with Enbrel injection usage long term that I was planning to start in Nov 2014. I read a number of cancer protocols just using food hoping to lower my increased risk from the Enbrel. I was in a very poor state of health at that time and needed help just to get and out of cars.

Just 30 days later my new Way Of Eating was dropping my 40 years of high pain levels so I told the MD's that I would not be starting Enbrel injections just yet. Now I have much less pain than I can ever remember in my life with no Rx Med usage.

From time to time when setting at McDonalds I go online and guesstimate my calories but I do not normally track or count anything so there are no logs but I do weigh twice each morning to track my hydration levels.

As noted I am not in the weight loss mindset and never plan to do so. I eat the WOE mentioned above for my health. I eat when I get hungry until I want to stop eating. Keto somehow seemed to fix my disorder eating that included cakes, pies, ice cream and the likes. No cravings brings a level of eating freedom I never knew until I was 63. While some say Keto can not fix their health concerns and I am sure they are correct I know how Keto is helping me recover my health. My main long term focus is to eat in a way that gives me the potential to live to be 110 walking and talking the entire way. In fact I have invited a few to my 110th Birthday Bash.

Best to your health as well. MFP is an awesome site with something for everyone.

Guesstimating a few high days doesn't mean that was your actual calories. Last time we had the discussion, your estimate was 2000-3000 calories. So it's appears there has been inflation based on random low carb studies. I doubt, you would even be remotely near those actual levels of TDEE if you did metabolic chamber testing. Considering I am half your age and lift 5 days a week (with no cardio), and I meticulously track, I can say my TDEE is 2800-3000 calories.

2000, 3000, 4000, can we get 5000? You sir in the redshirt?

Well, we know what happens to the guys in the red shirts. :D

I haven't had a chance to read the actual study, but thanks everyone for summarizing for me!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I had the study, where do you think I got the number 209 from? Given it isn't a metabolic ward study and all maintained calories, I'm inclined to think there's just reporting errors over an actual figit spinner effect from being ketotaller

Sorry. I thought you got that from the website posted to summarize the study.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

49 lbs since october? how low are your calories?

No, 49 pounds since Jan. 1 of 2018. 27lbs on Keto since the end of October. Sorry for the confusion.

ok thats an ok rate of loss then
This discussion has been closed.