Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I am less interested in their personal experiences as the discussion of the studies, which was in the prior episode.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Suzyqk0205 wrote: »
    I DONOT eat pork, it causes inflammation in the body , pork is high in inflammatory omega-6 fats. Inflammation causes an immune response and slows down your metabolism.

I eat pork and have NO issues with inflammtion in my body and I have RA, nor has it slowed down my metabolism. I dont eat a lot because Im not a big pork eater. but never had an issue with it. I think it will be an individual issue for certain people and not the mass population.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I am less interested in their personal experiences as the discussion of the studies, which was in the prior episode.

I'll take a look. Hopefully he isn't in it...
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Addendum to my earlier post:

Energy levels and performance are two different things, and I believe in the podcast the hosts addressed performance, not energy levels.

I replaced electrolytes and had no problem with energy levels. I did have problems with performance. I had to slow my walking pace because I couldn't keep up my usual pace for my usual duration. I couldn't do as many reps as I had been doing when I was lifting weights and made slower progress than normal.

Then again, as I had previously stated, I also felt horrible during this time with issues with joint pain and chronic migraine. I'm sure that played a part in why I wasn't able to perform my best as well.

Furthermore, since I am also a vegetarian, I took particular note when Kevin mentioned being one also. He didn't set out to only eat mozzarella, and explained quite clearly in the podcast that boredom and limited protein sources were in play here.

They did address energy levels too. They felt slower and used their lack of energy as a hunger cue since their hunger lessened a fair bit. Overall, they said energy was less, which was why I suspected an electrolyte imbalance.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

Energy levels and performance are two different things, and I believe in the podcast the hosts addressed performance, not energy levels.

I replaced electrolytes and had no problem with energy levels. I did have problems with performance. I had to slow my walking pace because I couldn't keep up my usual pace for my usual duration. I couldn't do as many reps as I had been doing when I was lifting weights and made slower progress than normal.

Then again, as I had previously stated, I also felt horrible during this time with issues with joint pain and chronic migraine. I'm sure that played a part in why I wasn't able to perform my best as well.

Furthermore, since I am also a vegetarian, I took particular note when Kevin mentioned being one also. He didn't set out to only eat mozzarella, and explained quite clearly in the podcast that boredom and limited protein sources were in play here.

They did address energy levels too. They felt slower and used their lack of energy as a hunger cue since their hunger lessened a fair bit. Overall, they said energy was less, which was why I suspected an electrolyte imbalance.

That isn't always the case. I always felt tired and hungry during my keto days and i consume over 6000mg of sodium a day.

True, I know. Fatigue and hunger is most commonly attributed to not getting enough sodium. Usually 3000-5000 mg is enough but some go well over 7000 mg before it is enough and the fatigue, weakness and brain fog goes.

A bit less... pep in the muscles is common during HIIT and such, but overall fatigue without low electrolytes is not that common.

This is incredibly variable and dependent on the individual and the situation. A number of programs implement a gross calculation based on sweat weight - replacing ~500 mg sodium for every pound of sweat generated. They estimate this loss during training phases and supplement with Gatorade and salt pills.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

That isn't always the case. I always felt tired and hungry during my keto days and i consume over 6000mg of sodium a day.

True, I know. Fatigue and hunger is most commonly attributed to not getting enough sodium. Usually 3000-5000 mg is enough but some go well over 7000 mg before it is enough and the fatigue, weakness and brain fog goes.

A bit less... pep in the muscles is common during HIIT and such, but overall fatigue without low electrolytes is not that common.

This is incredibly variable and dependent on the individual and the situation. A number of programs implement a gross calculation based on sweat weight - replacing ~500 mg sodium for every pound of sweat generated. They estimate this loss during training phases and supplement with Gatorade and salt pills.

You are saying that sodium needs vary? I agree.

Most keto'ers need 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day... this is starting to be seen as a recommended intake for everyone. Some will do fine on less, and others will need more. More is more common due to glycogen loss and lower insulin levels.
This discussion has been closed.