Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Interesting. Most people I know do understand the profound health benefits losing weight in and of itself can have and is why they do it.

Yet you seem to claim that your health improved first and then you lost weight...

For those with health issues that have symptoms bothered by high carb foods, elevated BG and elevated insulin, improvements in health often occur prior to any meaningful weight loss, and any additional benefits that weight loss may bring.

For example, t2ds can often start improving BG and insulin needs within days. For issues with inflammatory arthritis, how dietary changes affect the joints and their inflammation and pain may be quite different than how less weight on those joints helps with symptoms. Ymmv

Agreed. If there is IR involved, than reducing carbs will provide the fastest path of control.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Interesting. Most people I know do understand the profound health benefits losing weight in and of itself can have and is why they do it.

Yet you seem to claim that your health improved first and then you lost weight...

For those with health issues that have symptoms bothered by high carb foods, elevated BG and elevated insulin, improvements in health often occur prior to any meaningful weight loss, and any additional benefits that weight loss may bring.

For example, t2ds can often start improving BG and insulin needs within days. For issues with inflammatory arthritis, how dietary changes affect the joints and their inflammation and pain may be quite different than how less weight on those joints helps with symptoms. Ymmv

I can see that. Thank you for the insight...
  • svlofthouse
    svlofthouse Posts: 46 Member
    I’m about to go Keto to try to kick my habit of binging on bread. I want to continue to be vegetarian, but I’m worried about eating too much cheese and too many eggs. I’m also worried about lacking fibre.
    Is there anything I can do to make the transition easier and make sure I don’t gain weight from all the cheese my meal plan currently seems to contain? What are the best vegetarian Keto protein sources?
    Thanks guys :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I’m about to go Keto to try to kick my habit of binging on bread. I want to continue to be vegetarian, but I’m worried about eating too much cheese and too many eggs. I’m also worried about lacking fibre.
    Is there anything I can do to make the transition easier and make sure I don’t gain weight from all the cheese my meal plan currently seems to contain? What are the best vegetarian Keto protein sources?

To avoid gaining weight, don't eat more calories than you're using. Since fatty foods are so calorie-dense, it can be easy for some people to overdo it when they're eating a higher fat diet.

There are some vegetarian keto threads in others areas of the site, it may be worth doing a search to see what has worked for other people.
  • svlofthouse
    Thank you, I’ll have a look at those threads. I’ve looked at some recipes and they’re all ridiculously high calorie - how can I ever create a deficit?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Thank you, I’ll have a look at those threads. I’ve looked at some recipes and they’re all ridiculously high calorie - how can I ever create a deficit?

It comes down to if fat will satiate you. That was my issue with keto. Very little food volume and fat didn't satiate me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Just like psuLemon said -- if you're the type of person who finds fat satiating, keto can be a good choice because you'll be satisfied on smaller portions. If you aren't, it's more difficult to be successful.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Do you eat other dairy and eggs? What about tofu, tempeh, and things like Beyond Meat products?

You could low carb and possibly get the benefits some people experience of having cravings diminish without going keto. Low carb macros don't necessarily call for very high fat, and there's room for more non-starchy vegetables to fill you up.

I lower carbed as a vegetarian when I first started dieting because it's just how my food choices settled out when I met my protein and vegetable consumption goals while hitting a very low calorie goal at the time due to being sedentary and older. Foods like yogurt and cottage cheese provided a lot of protein without a lot of fat.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Do you eat other dairy and eggs? What about tofu, tempeh, and things like Beyond Meat products?

You could low carb and possibly get the benefits some people experience of having cravings diminish without going keto. Low carb macros don't necessarily call for very high fat, and there's room for more non-starchy vegetables to fill you up.

I lower carbed as a vegetarian when I first started dieting because it's just how my food choices settled out when I met my protein and vegetable consumption goals while hitting a very low calorie goal at the time due to being sedentary and older. Foods like yogurt and cottage cheese provided a lot of protein without a lot of fat.
    This is excellent advice. I eat lower carb with lots of protein, fruits, veggies and fiber and not much refined carbs (some but not a lot). Over time I've learned I can control cravings and maintain high satiety within my calorie goals eating this way.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

Take a look at the Low Carber Daily in the MFP groups. They have a great" launch pad" stickie with a lot of links to helpful vegan and vegetarian LCHF and Keto sites.

To get a deficit, if your meals are high fat with low volume, you may need to weigh foods for a while to get a feel for portion size. Keto foods may have less volume than you are used to.... Just think smaller portions. ;)

For example, my kids can easily eat an entire pizza each. If I make fathead pizza, where the crust is cheese, eggs and coconut and flax meal (or almond meal) they only have a couple of slices instead of the entire thing.
  • svlofthouse
    Thank you all so much, that’s all really useful advice. @GottaBurnEmAll, yes I do eat things like tofu normally, but the Keto recipe website I’m useing doesn’t seem to use ingredients like that. Do they fit into the Keto diet?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Thank you all so much, that’s all really useful advice. @GottaBurnEmAll, yes I do eat things like tofu normally, but the Keto recipe website I’m useing doesn’t seem to use ingredients like that. Do they fit into the Keto diet?

Tofu might not necessarily fit into keto because it does have some carbs and you still want to eat veggies!, If you join the low carb group as suggested, you'll get some suggestions for low carbing.

You can cut your NET carbs down to around say, 100 grams a day, eliminate starchy veggies, sugars, grains, and most fruits except berries, and still likely experience relief from your cravings.
  • svlofthouse
    Thanks guys!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    I stick to most of it due to cancer. I still get in my mileage and 15 to 20 hrs of exercise a week. Only exception I make time to time is eating fruit. Each person ahs to decide what is best for the. Get as much knowledge as you can.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited November 2018
    Thanks guys!

Good luck! I just wanted to point out because I wasn't clear that the reason I think LCHF is a better option for vegetarians than keto is because low carb vegetarian protein sources have carbs that eat into that small carb allowance in keto macros, and that crowds out vegetables.

I think it's probably better for vegetarians to not crowd out vegetables ;) So, by going LCHF instead of full keto, you can eat the lower carb sources of vegetarian protein like tofu, black soy beans, eggs, yogurt, and cottage cheese and still have room for plenty of vegetables.

Also, don't neglect vegetable sources of protein. Off the top of my head, I know that broccoli is a star in that regard.
  • gypsytravelle45
    gypsytravelle45 Posts: 1 Member
    I have only just started eating the keto way. I have hashimoto , it's early days for me sugar is no issue for me or breads ect but gosh I love rice ,root veggies and fruit :( I have found it difficult to go to cream instead of skim milk oil ect pretty much the opposite of what I have eaten in the past so far no big shift in weight. I have definitely felt different ,sluggish I hope this passes quickly I have been surprised how many carbs are in different foods and sugars it's certainly made me look at the nutrients in food instead of just counting calories like I said early days it will be interesting to see how I feel in a months time.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I have only just started eating the keto way. I have hashimoto , it's early days for me sugar is no issue for me or breads ect but gosh I love rice ,root veggies and fruit :( I have found it difficult to go to cream instead of skim milk oil ect pretty much the opposite of what I have eaten in the past so far no big shift in weight. I have definitely felt different ,sluggish I hope this passes quickly I have been surprised how many carbs are in different foods and sugars it's certainly made me look at the nutrients in food instead of just counting calories like I said early days it will be interesting to see how I feel in a months time.

I didn't feel great the first week or two but I would say I was okay. I felt great after that with one exception, my workout energy was about zero. I had to walk during my runs and doubted that I would get over it. It was between two and three months that I felt complete during my runs. So it may take a little longer than you think.
This discussion has been closed.