Women in their 40s!

Options

Replies

• sweetnic
    sweetnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yana220 wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I just turned 41 last month. :smile:

I want to lose 50 pounds. I mostly do home workouts and I need to get better about tracking.

Please feel free to add me, I love to give, and could use some support!

Hi! I have been doing well tracking and counting calories, but I need to get back into an exercise routine. I had to quit the gym for now and am at a loss as to what to do at home. What works well for you? I have no room for equipment like a treadmill or elliptical.
  • dawnnewland1
    dawnnewland1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I’m in my later 40s, but looking for motivation and friends. Please add me.
  • scarin_tarin
    scarin_tarin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Anyone can add me. I try to post daily. Beachbody member.
  • winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I’ve hit that time of the month that my kids have back to back activities that causes me to miss several days in a row at the gym 😑 I am so proud of them, it’s hard! I’m trying to do more home workouts, but it just seems like I accomplish more in an actual gym setting.

Cheers to the effort we all make daily!
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    sweetnic wrote: »

I want to lose 50 pounds. I mostly do home workouts and I need to get better about tracking.

Hi! I have been doing well tracking and counting calories, but I need to get back into an exercise routine. I had to quit the gym for now and am at a loss as to what to do at home. What works well for you? I have no room for equipment like a treadmill or elliptical.

@sweetnic have you tried any You tube videos or dvd's? I bought(on clearance at Wal-Mart) 30 day shred with Jillian Michaels and Zumba toning 101. I love them both. I am an avid gym member during the spring through fall, but when winter hits, I do not want to get out of bed at 5:00 am and get in the cold to go to the gym....lol There is also a ton of exercises that you can do at home just using your own body weight too.
  • Janicep184
    Janicep184 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I’m not quite 40 yet, hoping to get to a comfortable weight before the big 40 happens next year. About 30lbs to lose so definitely do-able 🤞
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

If you are looking for a piece of cardio equipment that doesn't take up a lot of room, I highly recommend a WaterRower. I was able to snag a used one for around $600. You can store it upright against a wall and it only takes up about 2sq foot of space. And it's actually pretty, so it doesn't look crazy out of place in my living room.

WaterRower-Classic-Upright-Storage.jpg

For strength training, I do a lot of calisthenics which can be done anywhere. Can you put up a pullup bar? Pullups, pushups, inverted rows using a table, dips using two chairs. I'm currently doing a parallette program from Gymnastic Bodies.
  • kbentley7049
    kbentley7049 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Kim, I am 41 and need to lose around 75 pounds. I have been using MFP off and on for several years, but I have never really gotten serious (all though I told myself I was). 3 teenagers, I is off at college and 2 girls at home. Husband, full time job, life is busy but this weight thing is starting to get out of hand. I have always been athletic, but in the past 5 years I have just quit and the scale and my body are showing it. Add me if you would like and we can work on this together!
  • sweetnic
    Options
    @Grammytryingtogetfit and @mom23mangos thank you for your suggestions! I’ve never heard of a WaterRower - I’ll look into it! I get up 30 minutes before my kids every morning and just sit with a cup of coffee and watch the news and catch up on Facebook. I know that is 30 minutes I should be exercising!! No excuses - I need to get moving!
  • NSthingoldline
    NSthingoldline Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday, although it's my Monday...
  • DaniMerc72
    DaniMerc72 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Hi, and welcome! Home workouts are great! YouTube is an amazing resource for finding things to do at home! Good luck!
  • DaniMerc72
    DaniMerc72 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

@sweetnic--check out YouTube! There are tons of workouts and things you can do with no equipment. Yoga, body weight exercises, kickboxing and walk-at-home. Message me for some stuff that I've found if you want!
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been doing well tracking and counting calories, but I need to get back into an exercise routine. I had to quit the gym for now and am at a loss as to what to do at home. What works well for you? I have no room for equipment like a treadmill or elliptical. [/quote]

Try PopSugar fitness. A dietician told me about it. You can look up workouts that target anything you want for any length of time you have. I do a mix of them depending on my time..... Maybe 10 minutes of abs and 20 minutes of arms. On another day, maybe 20 minutes of full body cardio with weights and 5 minutes of abs. There are tons of videos to try out, and if you find that you like any particular trainer ( a lot of them are trainers to celebrities), then you can look for those in particular.
  • sweetnic
    Options
    @DaniMerc72 and @suzyjmcd2 thank you so much! I am going to look into both your suggestions this weekend. I will get to walk this weekend, then I’ll be ready Monday for an early morning workout!!
  • dblst10
    dblst10 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I fell off the bandwagon completely because being hungry and peeing out my water all day made me incredibly irritated and kind of dysfunctional at work. How do I permanently cut my hunger ?
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    dblst10 wrote: »
    I fell off the bandwagon completely because being hungry and peeing out my water all day made me incredibly irritated and kind of dysfunctional at work. How do I permanently cut my hunger ?

Well isn't that the million dollar question!! I added tons of veggies into my diet.... bulked up every meal with lots more of them to fill myself up. And that water, while it does make you go to the bathroom a lot, it also helps to fill you up, too.
  • Kahunacrystal74
    Kahunacrystal74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    dblst10 wrote: »

Up your protein during each meal, it keeps you full longer and it curbs the hunger. I’ve been working with a nutritionist and a doctor this year and they told me to do just that and it has made a world of difference for me.