Women in their 40s!

Options

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. For those of you on a plateau, it happens, sucky as it is. But if you are consistent with your tracking (accurately measuring everything with a food scale), you WILL lose weight. You just may need to make some adjustments if you find you are not losing over a period of several weeks. I also highly recommend a weight trending app like Happy Scale. When you don't have a lot to lose, it's easy to see losses masked by hormonal fluctuations.
  • weibel
    weibel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m also 41! In the past 12 months I really amped up my time spent on work and really stopped spending any attention on fitness 😳 now I’m my heaviest ever weight and my clothes are not fitting well.

Ready to get back to normal
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    hello! i turn 40 in 3 months. and my goal is to not hit that number at anything but my goal weight, which is 25 pounds away. always happy to have new friends on here, and always happy to help offer encouragement. i have been on here for years, been up and down and up and down and was never able to make the changes permanent. now more than ever, i'm motivated to stop being my own worst enemy and find my best self. i started doing yoga twice a week 2 weeks ago, and last week did a 15 minute spin class and 10 minutes of kickboxing (home gym equipment). i'm totally down for people holding me accountable for both my food and my working out. WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!
  • abbyjack2
    abbyjack2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    blebriki wrote: »
    abbyjack2 wrote: »
    Today's my birthday and turned 43 today. Been struggling with losing weight for the past year. I weight seems to hover between 155-157. My eventual goal is to get down to 140, but getting down to 150 is my first goal. I did buy a food scale so I can weigh out my food for a better idea on portion size for a past couple months. I have also been doing various jillian michels work out videos 4-5 times a week. I see so many success stories from people, but I don't seem to have as much luck. I went to the doctor and got my thyroid checked and it came back normal. Anyone have any advice?

Hi Abbey. I m on the same boat, I can understand that my stressful and sedentary lifestyle probably co tribute but cannot change that immediately. Do persevere though, my biggest problem is getting disappointed and giving up too quickly . Good luck!

Well I just got back from vacation and I gained 3 lbs! Got some work to do. Disappointed that it went up so much. It'll be nice to get back to a routine again. Hoping the weight comes off quick.
  • emajarrett
    emajarrett Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Happy scales day... finally dropped a stubborn weight loss plateau 1lb!! That has to be one of the hardest pounds lost ever. I'm exercising regularly and reduced calories and doing 'all the right things' . Glad to say the scales at the gym always knock a further 3 lbs off too and my fat mass dropping. I hate weights tho so my muscle reducimg too.
    Im giving myself s pat on the back as have now actually shed 7lbs and I'd like to lose a further 10lbs but would probably be ok with 7lbs.
    We can do this. (Realised have to avoid the sabotage friends of who sadly there are a lot out there... be warned lol)
  • emajarrett
    Options
    What do you do when a friend turns up with a huge piece of cake and says I've bought this for you??.....well I ate it but then had to compensate with a tiny sushi portion for dinner than left me feeling hungry. I'm useless at saying no... and friends just poo poo it when I say I'm trying to lose weight and say oh you don't need to lose weight.... so it's the whole sabatage thing. I did try one tactic with a friend who would not take no for an answer and I said I'd save the cake for later and then it went straight in the bin it when she had gone.
    Also any tips for a low calories BBQ please?
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    emajarrett wrote: »
    What do you do when a friend turns up with a huge piece of cake and says I've bought this for you??.....well I ate it but then had to compensate with a tiny sushi portion for dinner than left me feeling hungry. I'm useless at saying no... and friends just poo poo it when I say I'm trying to lose weight and say oh you don't need to lose weight.... so it's the whole sabatage thing. I did try one tactic with a friend who would not take no for an answer and I said I'd save the cake for later and then it went straight in the bin it when she had gone.

That's a tough situation! It's unfortunate that all friends can't see how important it is to you/us to eat the way we need to to continue on our journeys... though it was nice of her to have a piece of cake for you. Glad you found a way to make the one situation work. Stick to your guns.... good friends will understand and be supportive :)
  • 72mossy
    72mossy Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I save cakes for kids, a cake is like 60 minutes running for me, not worth it, I would rather something of my choice.

make coleslaw with saladcream and a bit of yoghurt
    lean meats rather than burgers(prawn skewers, minute steaks, salad)
    boiled onions like a hotdog van makes alway get finished
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    @emajarrett it's funny you mention the BBQ, I just got an email from eatingwell.com with all kinds of yummy foods for camping and BBQ's. I haven't really looked at the recipes yet, but they sure look good!!
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    41 on Friday, stressful year has led to holding on to 25 lbs I need to shed. harder now to loose wt than when I was 20
  • emajarrett
    Options
    Ok I've definately got stuck on a plateau. Not budged ..not one lb for the whole of July ..... doing everything right but just nothing. I feel SO frustrated so caved and had cake.... for breakfast 😫 Don't understand why no change as drastically reduced calories and exercising ... bah humbug
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Ok I've definately got stuck on a plateau. Not budged ..not one lb for the whole of July ..... doing everything right but just nothing. I feel SO frustrated so caved and had cake.... for breakfast 😫 Don't understand why no change as drastically reduced calories and exercising ... bah humbug

So frustrating, I know! I had weeks in the spring with a plateau. And while it seems counterproductive, what knocked me off of that plateau, was increasing my calorie intake. I spent 3 days eating more than usual, and some different kinds of things than I usually eat (not so healthy), and it's as if I shocked my body out of it's comfort zone, and back into gear.
  • megcromer
    megcromer Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I am in. Add me! I am 41 and had baby number 4 at 39...don’t bounce back for easily at this age. It has been hard. Would love some motivation and support! Would love to lose 20 pounds.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    Options

I'm a little confused, because in your previous post from 7/11/18, you said you lost a pound, did you gain it back?
    Plateaus do suck big time!!!! You really need to make sure that you are accurately logging everything from calories eaten to exercise calories burned. Don't trust the database for all of that, there are A LOT of incorrect entries in there.
    I do have to agree with @suzyjmcd2 , when I was "stuck" I added more calories, not much but just enough to make difference. I know it's weird, but some of my best weight loss was after eating over my maintenance goal. Our bodies are weird, and most of all weight loss is not linear.
    I may have missed this from an earlier post, but what are your stats, what did you choose to lose a week when you set up MFP?
  • emajarrett
    Options
    Hello.... I am aiming for minimum 1lb a week and that is ok....I was doing quite well and was so chuffed I loss that 1lb until I started going up and down by the same pound....arrggg. I'm trying to log calories as advised on any packaging e.g. Cottage cheese, tuna etc and MFP for loose fruits and veg. I'm around 1200 calories so don't want to go less.... although from previous experience I had to go to 1000 to see any loss. I don't cheat on logging as a bit obsessive... lol. . I will defnstely try the 're boot' you suggest at the weekend and . look forward to a full tummy! I do have a slightly dodgy thyroid but not bad enough in the UK to be medicated.
  • brucejei
    brucejei Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm 41,and due to some health issues, I'm back at square one. Please feel free to add me.
  • emajarrett
    Options
    Broke through thre plateau!... a new figure on the scales Happy Friday! Think the cake helped. My challenge now is how not to eat to celebrate?!... being an emotional eater this is my personal nemesis.
  • kenkel4
    kenkel4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just enjoyed reading all your posts and catching up with all if you. I just returned from three weeks of vacation (three separate vacations) including a cruise for my 25th anniversary, lake trip with my girlfriends and a beach trip with my hubby and kids. I managed to maintain my weight, but now I am eager to have a loss. I’m honesty so surprised I didn’t gain but I really thought about everything I put in my mouth, limited alcohol and bread, ate lots of fruits and veggies. I’m SO hoping this is the beginning of a true lifestyle change.
  • emajarrett
    Options
    Tips needed..... I have my best friends big birthday this evening, work meal out tommorow with drinks after and dinner out Sat. What can I do to avoid completely trashing my dieting efforts?... once I have a glass of wine all my self control flies out of the window!