Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Day 25 begins! A little encouragement from the Dry January folks in my email this a.m.:
    It’s no surprise that two-thirds of participants are drinking less riskily even six months after the campaign. And 8% don’t even bother going back to the booze at all.
    If you haven’t already been mulling over what you want to do in February, now is a good time to give it a thought. Take some time out to think about what you’ve enjoyed most about your month without alcohol.
  • kittybenn
    Options
    @MonkeyMel21 - you've done so well. This is no big deal. Hop back on the horse and keep on going. And congrats on your weight loss - that is fantastic!
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @MonkeyMel21 - you've done so well. This is no big deal. Hop back on the horse and keep on going. And congrats on your weight loss - that is fantastic!

Agree.
  • Sub4_2018
    Sub4_2018 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    kittybenn wrote: »

Agree.

Double agree!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    times60 wrote: »
    I am going for a Dry February for sure. Its time for me to step it up

Here as well besides Valentine’s Day!
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Well, it's my 4th weekend in Dry January and this is one that will test me. I am working this one and I always look forward to a glass of wine after a very long Saturday. I definitely do not plan to drink, I'm just saying it will be a challenge and I'll need to keep myself distracted and busy tomorrow night.

I admit I looked at the calendar today and noticed that next Friday is Feb 1. Which would be the first day I could drink. For a moment, that sounded great!! Then I wondered what that would lead to. So I'm just letting myself marinate in the "what ifs" and see how I feel about it before I make a decision if I will stay AF or not. I'm wondering if I need to commit to a plan to keep myself from going back to old habits and drinking too much again...
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    It's a public holiday long weekend this weekend in Australia, and the Super Bowl is next weekend in the US.

Here are some Holiday Survival Tips from Hello Sunday Morning.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3883c28b47bb4cc4cc96267e2/files/d3b0d905-a686-4e13-9beb-d9bba4c0f797/Holiday_Survival_Guide_7.11.17.pdf

Holiday Survival Guide
    By: Briony Leo

Holidays can be one of the most challenging times when we are focusing on our health.
    Most events like Christmas parties, holidays and family get-togethers involve a surplus of
    food and drinks.
    Often, the way we celebrate is to loosen our inhibitions and relax, through eating and
    drinking to our hearts content.
    Many members will describe dreading these occasions, as they may signal a slip back into a
    lifestyle they are wanting to move away from.
    Here are some tips to survive the holiday season and emerge in fantastic health.

1. Ensure you have some structured self care activities in place - whether this is daily
    exercise, time alone, or time spent doing hobbies, this will help you to re-focus and
    shift away.

2. Set some goals for the holidays - whether this is around health (exercise daily),
    personal growth (reading all the books on your summer reading list), social (catching
    up with friends you haven't seen/emailing them) or cleaning out drawers in
    anticipation for the new year. The holidays can be an opportunity to prepare for a
    great year, and reflect on the one just gone - a time to clear your mind.
    A good question to ask yourself might be – when my holidays are over, what would I
    have liked to have done? What would I have liked to spend my time on? In previous
    years, what did I wish I had spent more/less time doing?

3. Drinking. - reflect on what you would like your drinking to look like over the holidays.
    Would you like to be completely abstinent, or stick to a number of drinks each day?
    It can help to set expectations early on with family, to help them to know whether to
    offer you drinks or now.
    It can also be good to have a back-up plan, in case triggers arise - eg. What am I
    going to do if i have an argument with my siblings, and feel overwhelmed? What am
    I going to tell my parents when they offer me a drink at lunch? Being prepared for
    what is likely to happen is really helpful. Remember, lots of people don't drink during
    the holidays, and at some point, they too had to have that conversation with their
    family. Often if we say something like 'I'm focusing on my health at the moment, and
    have noticed that alcohol is really setting me back in terms of fitness', or 'I'm not
    drinking this year, as I want to feel refreshed after the holidays - but please don't let
    that stop you'.
    Sometimes our loved ones are worried that if we aren't drinking, we might judge
    them or behave differently. It will be good to emphasise that you don't expect them
    not to drink, but that at the moment you are not going to.

4. Some other ideas are: Have non-alcoholic drinks with you or available (see link to
    nice non-alcoholic beverages here), plan to do something active after lunch or during
    the day, that others can participate in (eg. Backyard cricket), offer to be designated
    driver for supplies for lunch or to give people lifts, see if you can notice how it is
    different not to be drinking during the holidays - what you miss, what the positive
    changes are.

5. Be conscious of nutrition - often we can feel affected by what we are eating - reflect
    on what kind of food you enjoy to eat, and what foods might support your health.
    Some people find eating things like fruit, cheese and olives while others are
    drinking, provides a tasty alternative and one that is satiating and satisfying. Others
    find that filling up on seafood, fresh fruits and vegetables keeps them feeling good
    all holidays and helps them keep their energy levels up.
    6. Have some time each day to check in with your goals. This can be writing to your
    health coach, posting and commenting on Daybreak, or doing some self-reflection
    with a partner, your friends, or yourself. Holidays can sometimes feel strange and
    challenging if you are not drinking for the first time, and it is good to acknowledge
    that is really normal. It can be good to keep a list with you that outlines the 'pros'
    and 'cons' if drinking - being conscious of the reasons to stay the same, as well as
    reasons to change.

7. Be kind to yourself - understand that holidays and family get-together can be very
    challenging, particularly if there has been conflict in the family. Sometimes we can
    feel anxious or exhausted by being back in the family dynamic, and also without the
    numbing effects of alcohol. The good news is that often it is alcohol that triggers
    arguments and disagreements within families, and being sober will allow you to step
    away from that and look at things differently. Sometimes alcohol can feel like it is
    necessary to deal with family, but when we take it away or reduce it, often we find
    family gatherings are less tedious.

8. Remember that change is a process – it is very normal to have off days, or times
    when we miss our goals and feel we have gone backwards. What is important is that
    you keep reflecting on what has happened, and try to make decisions that are the
    best for you. It will be helpful to check in with the Daybreak community, as many
    members will have similar goals and barriers to you. Being able to speak to others
    who have found a strategy that works, or who are going through similar things, can
    be very helpful.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    @MissMay Great job!! I haven’t even been thinking about wine while cooking, which is a huge win! I am 26 days AF, can’t believe the difference in just 26 days! OK YUCK the guy licking your face!!!!!!

@Orphia GREAT INFO!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    Well, it's my 4th weekend in Dry January and this is one that will test me. I am working this one and I always look forward to a glass of wine after a very long Saturday. I definitely do not plan to drink, I'm just saying it will be a challenge and I'll need to keep myself distracted and busy tomorrow night.

I admit I looked at the calendar today and noticed that next Friday is Feb 1. Which would be the first day I could drink. For a moment, that sounded great!! Then I wondered what that would lead to. So I'm just letting myself marinate in the "what ifs" and see how I feel about it before I make a decision if I will stay AF or not. I'm wondering if I need to commit to a plan to keep myself from going back to old habits and drinking too much again...

I don’t want to get back into old habits of drinking again. I am going to do a pretty much AF February. I will have a few glasses of wine on selected days (Valentines, etc.). I feel great without drinking and want to keep the trend. Also, I want to achieve my goal in weight. All the best!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,562 Member
    Options
    My goal is 4-5 AF days per week.

January 1st - AF
    January 2nd - AF
    January 3rd - AF
    January 4th - 3 drinks Friday night. I actually had 4, but then threw up lol. This is the reason that I never have more than 3 if I choose to have drinks. Good reminder. Yes, I can never be "drunk" because I can't have more than 3.
    January 5th - AF So curious that each and every day that I have drinks I am down 2 pounds the following day. I think that I read somewhere on this post that it dehydrates you. It comes back the next day of course : - )
    I don't log my AF or not AF until the following morning for the night before.
    January 6th - AF - 5 days out of 6. Very busy week, so more AF days to come.
    January 7th - AF - 6 days out of 7 for the month
    January 8th - AF - 7 days our of 8 for the month so far
    January 9th - AF - 8 days out of 9
    January 10th - 1 champagne, later on 3 drinks
    January 11th - 2 drinks - 8 out of 11 AF. I am pleased with that.
    January 12th - 3 drinks - 8 out of 12 AF. Going to rack up some more AF days.
    January 13th - AF - 9 days out of 13
    January 14th - AF - 10 days out of 14. Began logging at night before bed instead of waiting until the next morning. No danger of sleep drinking I don't think : - )
    January 15th - AF - 11 days out of 15.
    January 16th - AF - 12 days out of 16
    January 17th - AF - 13 days out of 17 - I took December 31st out of the count.
    January 18th - 3 drinks - 13 AF days out of 18, definitely ahead of where I was in December.
    January 19th - 2 drinks
    January 20th - AF - 14 AF days out of 20
    January 21st - AF - 15 out of 21
    January 22nd - AF - 16 out of 22 - I believe that I had 16 AF days total in December
    January 23rd - AF - 17 out of 23.
    I am going away for 5 days, birthday parties, concerts, get togethers with friends, lavish dinners. We will see how I do. I have had dismal weight loss this month even though my calories have been less, worked out more, drank way less alcohol. I don't want to blow the slight progress that I have made. Having said that, I definitely don't want to annoy my friends with calorie counting and trying to squeeze in workouts. I think being moderate with the booze won't be a problem, they are not heavy drinkers. I do usually imbibe when I am there. Maybe time to change that habit.
    January 24th - AF 18 out of 24
    January 25th - AF 19 out of 25
    January 26th -
    January 27th -
    January 28th -
    January 29th -
    January 30th -
    January 31st

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options

So I'm just letting myself marinate in the "what ifs" and see how I feel about it before I make a decision if I will stay AF or not. I'm wondering if I need to commit to a plan to keep myself from going back to old habits and drinking too much again...

I don’t want to get back into old habits of drinking again. I am going to do a pretty much AF February. I will have a few glasses of wine on selected days (Valentines, etc.). I feel great without drinking and want to keep the trend. Also, I want to achieve my goal in weight.

I am with this thought process as well. I ALWAYS would get in trouble after being AF for a while and feel the need to reward myself. Before I knew it my drinking brain was convincing me to drink over my allowed 2 drink limit. I am going to need a very necessarily reason to take a drink. As I'm enjoying my weight being down from where it was this time last year.

Hope everyone's weekend is in their goal favor.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    alcohol during the day makes me sleepy.

So true!

Can't think of anything worse than being, say, a bride and drinking in the morning when getting ready for the wedding. Gotta end in tears.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Womona wrote: »
    alcohol during the day makes me sleepy.

So true!

Can't think of anything worse than being, say, a bride and drinking in the morning when getting ready for the wedding. Gotta end in tears.

Or naps!!! Haha!
  • kittybenn
    Options
    @Womona - way to go - that can't have been easy! Day 27 begins for me. Have had much better control over my sugar intake this week, which has been almost harder than giving up alcohol, LOL.