Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Well I never lost a lot of weight eating 3000+ calories daily either. Being able to maintain the weight loss and still eating the same 3000+ calorie WOE was a shock to me based off of posts from others.
    Out of curiosity, how did you track that?

That was covered 3 posts up.

I don't see it. Could you repost it for me? Thanks.

It states he didn't track calories except maybe a day or two and magically made up these values. And since my last discussion that number has grown by 1000 calories.

So no tracking, methods or actual basis for information except winging it.

Explains why I could not find it...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    277to161 wrote: »
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Seems counterintuitive. Difficult for me to believe that over millions of years, evolution provided humans with the ketogenic "safety valve" - enabling us to survive even in a paucity of food resources (i.e., no plant based food available); yet paradoxically, the "safety valve" is so inefficient that the human machine requires substantially greater number of calories to keep going when in the ketogenic state??? :s

Surely, such a poorly equipped creature would have died out long ago, right? :'(

This is a perfect example of people not understanding keto. A balanced keto plan includes plenty of healthy plant-based foods. Replacing glucose with ketones as fuel, one needs to eat much less and can go much longer without food. If you are doing it right you eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. After you are completely adapted the need to eat every few hours is gone.

As per the bolded. This can't be exclusive to keto. I eat when I am hungry. I stop when I am full. I don't need to eat every few hours. I do not do keto...

Same here.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    277to161 wrote: »
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Seems counterintuitive. Difficult for me to believe that over millions of years, evolution provided humans with the ketogenic "safety valve" - enabling us to survive even in a paucity of food resources (i.e., no plant based food available); yet paradoxically, the "safety valve" is so inefficient that the human machine requires substantially greater number of calories to keep going when in the ketogenic state??? :s

Surely, such a poorly equipped creature would have died out long ago, right? :'(

This is a perfect example of people not understanding keto. A balanced keto plan includes plenty of healthy plant-based foods. Replacing glucose with ketones as fuel, one needs to eat much less and can go much longer without food. If you are doing it right you eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. After you are completely adapted the need to eat every few hours is gone.

Granting that as true for arguendo, that would have the evolutionary implication that keto has some strong disadvantage that selects against being in it. Saving energy can get pretty cut-throat, having an economy mode that isn't killing the acceleration as the default seems odd.
    There's even evidence in Arctic people for a selection sweep against ketosis - yes, despite all the talk of Inuit diets by keto fans, Inuit rarely are in ketosis. Most of them have a gene SNP that encourages their body to stay out of ketosis, and this trait is highly retained in the population even though it looks like it tends to increase infant mortality rates.

Do you know if the mongols had that too? I'm curious.
  • SunnyYakimaniac
    SunnyYakimaniac Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Is there a Keto support group on MFP anywhere? I need ideas for snacks that won't undo my efforts.
This discussion has been closed.