Keto diet

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Sandeeng84 wrote: »
    My goal is to lose 25-30 lbs. Right now I’m just doing cardio 30 mins a day 4xweek and counting calories to be under 1200

Under 1200 calories? You should be eating at least 1200 and some of your exercise calories. With into 25-30 lbs to lose you can expect it to be slow. Eating so little or jumping on a fad diet for a couple months to lose quickly is not the proper way to go about it.

^This.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Sandeeng84 wrote: »
    For those who mention long term vs short term. The reason I’m not sticking to it long term is because it’s not safe.

eating under 1200 calories isnt safe either. unless you are very short,elderly and sedentary and an outlier or under a drs strict care and observance
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    as you may hear 1200 may be to low if you are active. And keto is low carb high protein. The Atkins diet is high in fat.

keto is low carbs,high fat and moderate protein but there are other forms of keto.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    1200 calories is way too low. For a male the minimum is 1800. Slowing down metabolism due to low calories is a thing and will lead to a yo-yo effect, once you go back to what your normal meals look like. Women can go lower, but not below 1200. Drastic caloric restrictions do not work long term. Try increasing activity level instead to create a caloric deficit. To lose 25-30 pounds while keeping your sanity give yourself enough time, 1-2 pounds per week.

well the OP is female and the minimum for a male is 1500 and 1200 for a woman and those are calories for someone very short,sedentary,elderly or a combo of those things.as for 25-30 lbs to lose 2 lbs a week is not recommended . 2 lbs is for those with more than 75 lbs to lose. .5 lb to maybe 1 lb per week would be safe. until op got down to the last 15 or less
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2019
    psuLemon wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Keto does not mean unchecked eating. You will still gain weight if you are in caloric surplus. Many find themselves feeling more satiated or with less appetite, so they don't eat as much and as often on keto. Stable blood sugar levels makes you less prone to ravenous hunger that typical caloric restriction tends to cause.

You can try intermittent fasting in lieu or together with keto for a few weeks and see how you feel on it. If you find it is not your cup of tea, you don't have to stick with it. Just give it a go.

MFP suggestion is a tad too low. It suggested I eat 1500 calories, but I am losing weight on keto while eating 1800. I skip breakfast so my first "meal" - BP coffee or bone broth is at 10 AM. Next meal is around 3-4 PM and I wrap my day at 6 PM. So it is 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours of eating.

Not disputing your overall points, but simply replying to the bolded.

For many/most of us, calorie counting, with a sensible weight loss target, does not make us "prone to ravenous hunger" because of "typical caloric restriction".

Some people find keto-style eating to be very satiating, and that's great. I don't question them about that. But please don't try to convince people that those of us who choose simple calorie restriction are "typically" white-knuckling our way through ravenous hunger.

With any change in habits oriented toward weight loss, there may be a short adaptation of a week or two, where the old habits die hard for one reason or another, or new ones throw up challenges. Some people will be a little crave-y at first, some people will need to fine-tune electolytes to eliminate "keto flu", some adjust the timing and proportion of their foods, etc.

There may be a few people who experience "ravenous hunger" at any level of calorie restriction. I don't know. I do know that lots of people here don't experience that once they've adopted a sensible weight loss rate, and found a combination of foods/timing that keeps them satiated.

For some, that combination involves very structured plans like IF or keto; for some, like me, we just happily eat less of pretty much the same foods we always ate, within pretty much the same meal/snack timing. (I was quite contented during a year of weight loss, and 3 years of maintenance since, using just that strategy.)

The bolded is a misrepresentation.

I am one of those who are revenous while doing low carb or keto. Fat doesn't satiate me, which is why i went off of UD2 and went back to 3 meals with a focus on protein and fiber (the universal satiating nutrients).

Fat doesn't satiate me either. When I did keto, I was eating at maintenance (close to it), so I wouldn't quite say I was ravenous. But I certainly wasn't satisfied.