February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Fitatelo
    Fitatelo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    February 1st: 2.8/40 miles

Anyone have any tips for hip pain? It's only on my right side every time my foot makes contact with the ground while running & sometimes walking. I'm trying to complete for hip specific stretches but was just wondering if there were more things I could do.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Here's a good article about the why and how of warming up and cooling down

http://extramilest.com/blog/how-to-warm-up-and-cool-down-for-running/

While this is the way I warm up and cool down I must admit that I don't do it nearly as long as the 15 minutes each he suggests. I might walk to the end of my block then spend 3 or 4 minutes getting to pace, or I might start running from the end of the driveway.

And cool down? Half of a block at most.

I always have a HR spike at the beginning of the run. This weekend I have a 12 mile run planned. I'm going to draw out the warm up to see if I can get a nice gradual ramp up of my HR, and see if I can feel a difference. It should help get rid or reduce the suckyness of the first mile or so.

Good advice. I should probably follow it some day. Seriously.

It can be tough when you're short on time. If you have just an hour, that's half your time on the warm up and cool down. Only 10 minutes of walking though, so perhaps not as bad as it sounds.

My goal for my long run this weekend is to prevent a heart rate spike and just gradually ramp it up.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Fitatelo wrote: »

Anyone have any tips for hip pain? It's only on my right side every time my foot makes contact with the ground while running & sometimes walking. I'm trying to complete for hip specific stretches but was just wondering if there were more things I could do.

@Fitatelo sorry to hear that you're having hip pain! I don't have anything to offer for help unfortunately.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article about the why and how of warming up and cooling down

http://extramilest.com/blog/how-to-warm-up-and-cool-down-for-running/

While this is the way I warm up and cool down I must admit that I don't do it nearly as long as the 15 minutes each he suggests. I might walk to the end of my block then spend 3 or 4 minutes getting to pace, or I might start running from the end of the driveway.

And cool down? Half of a block at most.

I always have a HR spike at the beginning of the run. This weekend I have a 12 mile run planned. I'm going to draw out the warm up to see if I can get a nice gradual ramp up of my HR, and see if I can feel a difference. It should help get rid or reduce the suckyness of the first mile or so.

Good advice. I should probably follow it some day. Seriously.

It can be tough when you're short on time. If you have just an hour, that's half your time on the warm up and cool down. Only 10 minutes of walking though, so perhaps not as bad as it sounds.

My goal for my long run this weekend is to prevent a heart rate spike and just gradually ramp it up.

I do the cooldown. I do not have a lot of choice about that. Otherwise, a shower is pointless :) But most times I am tight on time making the first 1-2 miles of the run the warm up.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Fitatelo wrote: »

@Fitatelo sorry to hear that you're having hip pain! I don't have anything to offer for help unfortunately.

My Sensi used to say "I have a sword and can fix that" but I am not sure that is really helpful. :smiley:
  • smarziii
    smarziii Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how to sync their apple watch with MFP
  • smarziii
    smarziii Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    for like mileage and calorie count?
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    smarziii wrote: »