has anyone drank apple cider vinegar to lose weight?

Options
is it effective and did it speed up your goals? i’m tempted to try it

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have and do drink it but it doesn't effect their weight loss in any way. Just another internet myth.

Use it in cooking and salad dressings much nicer. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    is it effective and did it speed up your goals? i’m tempted to try it

No
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It'll ruin your teeth enamel. I attribute some tooth decay that I developed to eating a particular brand of salt and vinegar crisps that year.

After a few dental visits, I stopped eating the crisps. Then I stopped needing to see the dentist every five minutes.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I drank ACV for weeks at a time while carefully logging on MFP, and didn't drink it for other weeks at a time while still carefully logging on MFP. It made zip-zero-no-nada difference to my weight loss rate. I perceived no difference in hunger or satiation.

I was drinking it for reasons having nothing to do with weight loss, BTW.

Also: Commercial, standardized-acidity vinegar is no more acidic than many other common beverages, even before it's diluted. That doesn't make it harmless to tooth enamel, but it's no more harmful than (just to name a few), several flavors of Vitamin Water, PowerAde, GatorAde, Ocean Spray Cran-whatever juices, V-8 Splash; Dole Pineapple Juice and a bunch of other juices; Rockstar and some other energy drinks; some Nestea and Arizona teas; lots of soda pops; and many other common drinks. Some people sip those other things all day long; relatively few do that with ACV.

ACV at the standard commercial 5% dilution runs around pH 3.3-3.5 (some other vinegars can be lower, i.e., more acidic), as I understand it. (Diluting it with water raises the pH, making it less acidic, since water is higher pH).

This "destroying tooth enamel" thing comes up every time someone brings up ACV. There are lots of unscientific claims about ACV, but countering with the "tooth enamel" thing isn't a super-duper counterargument IMO, taken in context of other common beverages. Same for esophageal damage, harm to stomach, etc.

Clearly, limiting all corrosive drinks is a good plan (according to the ADA), but ACV isn't likely a special scary case.

https://www.ada.org/en/~/media/ADA/Public Programs/Files/JADA_The pH of beverages in the United States

(Edited to add: Unfortunately, the MFP editor seems unable to correctly handle that URL. You may need to cut'n'paste it into your browser if you want to read the American Dental Association article about acidity of common beverages. I see someone has already woo-ed this post. Yup, the ADA are a bunch of lunatic fringe anti-scientific conspiracy theorists. <eye roll>).
    Actually you're right. It's not specially significant on a populational level, compared to coca cola and the like. I don't tend to drink those (dentist was fun- "are you SURE you haven't drunk any fizzy drinks since last appointment?") so this is clearly a case of me placing more weight on the stuff that has worked out badly for me, regardless of its objective significance.

But you'd have to promise the moon on a stick before I drank it without a straw. I love vinegar and I've had to be sparing with it on chips ever since.
  • an0393na
    an0393na Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It helps you feel less bloated but doesn't make you loose weight
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Ugh, drinking acv sounds awful to me. On the other hand, I made pulled pork in my crock pot for dinner tonight that included acv as one of its ingredients, and it was delicious.

The only way to potentially speed up weight loss is to create a larger calorie deficit. That being said, most recommend losing no more than 1% of your body weight per week. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    it did NOT help me at all!
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Make sure you use your sarcasm font with the newbs, @Fatty_Nuff ! 😉
    @quiksylver296 Sarcasm is mean. I was just trying to be a little funny. Yeah, I know. Little being the key word. :/
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It makes a nice dressing for a beet slaw that fills me up for relatively few calories. (Seriously. Pulse a jalapeno in the food processor. Switch to the grater blade. Process approx 6-8 beets with a peeled and cored Granny Smith apple. Put it all in a Ziploc with 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup ACV. Seal the bag, shake it all up, and chill.)