February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I started the month on Friday by bumping from 40 min run to 48 min run. So I sort of deviated from the Bridge to 10k plan. I'm not really liking how every run just gets longer. It feels like every run is a long run???? So instead of progressing from 40 mins to 45 mins, I made the jump to 48 so I can knock a few min off some other runs.

This was something I found I didn't like about some of the plans I looked at. I also tried the C210K and didn't like all the walking breaks. I ended up using an app from active called 5K to 10K trainer. It mixes in recovery runs, pace runs, a little speed work, and a long run once a week. I really liked the variety and it made it easy to recycle the last few weeks of the plan once you finish it just to build a workout schedule and make sure you don't overdo it the week before a race. I will probably just keep using the last month of this app until it's time for me to switch to a HM training plan.

Interesting, I'll have to have a look at that one too! I also had intended on continuing with the C210k but as I'm in recovery mode I'm not too keen on ending up with three identical hour long runs per week. I was thinking of finishing C25k then starting on Hal Higdon's Novice 8k plan then looking at one of his 10k or 15k ones, but am liking the sound of that app!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I started the month on Friday by bumping from 40 min run to 48 min run. So I sort of deviated from the Bridge to 10k plan. I'm not really liking how every run just gets longer. It feels like every run is a long run???? So instead of progressing from 40 mins to 45 mins, I made the jump to 48 so I can knock a few min off some other runs.

This was something I found I didn't like about some of the plans I looked at. I also tried the C210K and didn't like all the walking breaks. I ended up using an app from active called 5K to 10K trainer. It mixes in recovery runs, pace runs, a little speed work, and a long run once a week. I really liked the variety and it made it easy to recycle the last few weeks of the plan once you finish it just to build a workout schedule and make sure you don't overdo it the week before a race. I will probably just keep using the last month of this app until it's time for me to switch to a HM training plan.

I may look into that. Thanks.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Popping in before work for some advice. I definitely have to get new shoes - todays run included pain in my knees, and when I look down in can see some inward rolling. Sigh. I'd really hoped to wait another 2 months.

Ivs found some asics on sale - same ones I currently have, but they only have standard width and I need a D. They have mens on sale (and at a cheaper price #pinktax). I see mens are D width standard. Any ladies bought mens shoes? How many sizes do you go down?
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Options
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @martaindale That is a really good 5k time! I bet you surprise yourself and that becomes the new normal pretty soon. Also, congrats on a good finish at your race!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Popping in before work for some advice. I definitely have to get new shoes - todays run included pain in my knees, and when I look down in can see some inward rolling. Sigh. I'd really hoped to wait another 2 months.

Ivs found some asics on sale - same ones I currently have, but they only have standard width and I need a D. They have mens on sale (and at a cheaper price #pinktax). I see mens are D width standard. Any ladies bought mens shoes? How many sizes do you go down?

Not sure about the fit of asics but in many brands the women's shoes have a narrower heel proportionately. So if you have issues with heel slippage, men's sizes may not be the way to go.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

As @rheddmobile says, the heel is going to be wider so you’ll get slipping. I always find the shoes I wear are never on sale!!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I have the exact same issue with my Asics and have worn the mens version without issue (I wear the GT 2000). The only difference I've noticed is that the women's version feels slightly more soft/cushioned than the mens, otherwise fit seemed identical to me. This chart here has the sizes listed in cm, so just find the equivalent mens size to yours. For example, I wear 10.5 in womens. The chart says that size is 27 cm, or equivalent to a mens 9. Hope this helps!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I have a pair of men’s ASICS in the same size as my women’s ones (same model etc) for this exact reason and I can’t honestly tell the difference.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

As @rheddmobile says, the heel is going to be wider so you’ll get slipping. I always find the shoes I wear are never on sale!!

So frustrating right!!! I'm quickly realising because i have stupid special feet I just have to suck it up and buy the expensive ones, or when there is a new model out, buy two of the previous or something because I'm only getting around 5 months out of a pair. At least now I know. do you mean the heel slipping out of the shoe? I HATE that and yep is one of the things I'm really careful of.
    [

Go to the store and use the men's measure thingy to measure your feet? ( I am sure it has a real name...)
    Ideally I'd actually try the shoes on to see, but I live 2hrs away from the nearest store that would have that sort of measurement thingy and shoes for that matter, and am not planning on going for several months.

@ariceroni and @louubelle16 that gives me hope.

Ill have a really good look around, and where ever I go Ill make sure they have a really good return policy, which probably means Ill just go straight to Asics because they have a good returns policy (and that means paying full price).

Thanks everyone.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    li9o1x41pyhr.jpeg

Something my husband brought me back from London. :):):)

wooooooo
    want those

those of you that run with your dogs...do you run with collars or harness? i prefer harness since we go canicross but the one i have sometimes gives them fabric burn in their armpits. i would prefer not canicross since they can be sooooo expensive
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    those of you that run with your dogs...do you run with collars or harness? i prefer harness since we go canicross but the one i have sometimes gives them fabric burn in their armpits. i would prefer not canicross since they can be sooooo expensive

Kody is usually off leash when he runs with me, but when I do leash him I use a collar with a ring opposite the buckle. It makes it easier to attach and doesn't swing the buckle around. This is the one I have:

https://www.gundogsupply.com/k-9-k-center-ring-w-dee-1-inch-blue.html

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options

Men's sizes are typically 2 sizes down from the women's size. Ex: Women's 9 would be a men's 7. You might look into New Balance, as they are a lot better about having a variety of wide width to choose from. If you go the men's shoe route and find the heels are too wide, try Nike's for a brand. They tend to run more narrow. Best of luck!