February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Popping in before work for some advice. I definitely have to get new shoes - todays run included pain in my knees, and when I look down in can see some inward rolling. Sigh. I'd really hoped to wait another 2 months.

Ivs found some asics on sale - same ones I currently have, but they only have standard width and I need a D. They have mens on sale (and at a cheaper price #pinktax). I see mens are D width standard. Any ladies bought mens shoes? How many sizes do you go down?

Men's sizes are typically 2 sizes down from the women's size. Ex: Women's 9 would be a men's 7. You might look into New Balance, as they are a lot better about having a variety of wide width to choose from. If you go the men's shoe route and find the heels are too wide, try Nike's for a brand. They tend to run more narrow. Best of luck!

Actually, @avidkeo, @Crafty_camper123 makes a good point. I too have a wide Kiwi foot, and after years of running in Asics I made the switch to New Balance at my podiatrist's recommendation. Best. Thing. Ever.

I have the NB Impulse for speedwork (4mm drop), currently on sale for $156: https://www.newbalance.co.nz/pd/fuelcell-impulse/WFCIM-V1-NZ-MBG.html?dwvar_WFCIM-V1-NZ-MBG_color=Black_with_Phantom#color=Black_with_Phantom&width=D and NB Freshfoam 1080 for longer runs (8mm drop) currently on sale for $168: https://www.newbalance.co.nz/search?q=fresh foam 1080&prefn1=genderAndAgeGroupCombo&prefv1=Women. Both in the wide fit (these links are for the W fit)
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Popping in before work for some advice. I definitely have to get new shoes - todays run included pain in my knees, and when I look down in can see some inward rolling. Sigh. I'd really hoped to wait another 2 months.

Ivs found some asics on sale - same ones I currently have, but they only have standard width and I need a D. They have mens on sale (and at a cheaper price #pinktax). I see mens are D width standard. Any ladies bought mens shoes? How many sizes do you go down?

Men's sizes are typically 2 sizes down from the women's size. Ex: Women's 9 would be a men's 7. You might look into New Balance, as they are a lot better about having a variety of wide width to choose from. If you go the men's shoe route and find the heels are too wide, try Nike's for a brand. They tend to run more narrow. Best of luck!

Actually, @avidkeo, @Crafty_camper123 makes a good point. I too have a wide Kiwi foot, and after years of running in Asics I made the switch to New Balance at my podiatrist's recommendation. Best. Thing. Ever.

I have the NB Impulse for speedwork (4mm drop), currently on sale for $156: https://www.newbalance.co.nz/pd/fuelcell-impulse/WFCIM-V1-NZ-MBG.html?dwvar_WFCIM-V1-NZ-MBG_color=Black_with_Phantom#color=Black_with_Phantom&width=D and NB Freshfoam 1080 for longer runs (8mm drop) currently on sale for $168: https://www.newbalance.co.nz/search?q=fresh foam 1080&prefn1=genderAndAgeGroupCombo&prefv1=Women. Both in the wide fit (these links are for the W fit)

My most famous pair of running shoes are a New Balance, 770. But they don't make that range anymore and when I got fitted last, in September, none of the New Balance felt right. Hence moving to the Asics. Ive got the Gel Kayano 24 and also adore them. They've been great.

My biggest dillema is its a couple of months before I'm going to town next to try on shoes. Everything ive read about the Kayano 25's is the fit is pretty much the same as the 24's, so I'm less worried about buying them on line. And with my tendonitis issue, I have to make sure Ive got something that stops me rolling in. Stupid annoying picky feet.

Finally I found a place with an awesome return policy (the athletes foot @Contrary_MaryM) - though I LOVE New Balances return policy more (they will let you return them within 30 days no matter the condition!!!).

ETA oh and now I know I get 5 months out of shoes, you bet your butt anytime I'm in town Ill be buying a new pair (or 2) cause this is soooo frustrating. I'm going to have to use my under armour shoes for the next week or so. they are fine, but give me blisters when I do any runs longer than 8km.
  • somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Most of my shoes are men's because of the wide width. I've noticed some vanity sizing going on recently, so if you can, try them on in-store. I went from being a size 9/9.5 in men's to a size 8/8.5, and it's absolutely not because my feet have shrunk (don't I wish, though!). The brands I bought are New Balance and Nike for running, but find that I like Nike a lot better because NB seems to have gotten even bigger in the heel than what I remember from years before. Plus, Nike gives me more arch support. Which is weird, because my arches are pretty flat and I usually appreciate the flatness of NB, but the last pair were pulling my ankles in.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Most of my shoes are men's because of the wide width. I've noticed some vanity sizing going on recently, so if you can, try them on in-store. I went from being a size 9/9.5 in men's to a size 8/8.5, and it's absolutely not because my feet have shrunk (don't I wish, though!). The brands I bought are New Balance and Nike for running, but find that I like Nike a lot better because NB seems to have gotten even bigger in the heel than what I remember from years before. Plus, Nike gives me more arch support. Which is weird, because my arches are pretty flat and I usually appreciate the flatness of NB, but the last pair were pulling my ankles in.

That is nothing new. I wear anything from a men's like 9 to a men's 12 pending on brand, style, and so on. Shoe sizes have always been highly variable, at least in my lifetime.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! I finished the Sally push-up challenge with my hands elevated on a chair seat. My arms are now noodles. Next go through I will try it on stairs, one step down from the height of a chair seat.

Nice!!