Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options

Replies

• Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am not really looking to fast for as long as possible, I was just curious. My mom had pretty good luck with her 72 hour fasts, so I was thinking of trying for that time. My mom said that for the first 24 hours she felt really hungry then after that she wasn't hungry anymore and had tons of energy. After about 72 hours she said her energy started to drop, so she started eating again. That is why I was thinking of trying a longer fast. I probably won't go over 36 hours though. I was just wondering if anyone on here had done longer fasts. Thanks for the feedback.

For some general information how do you feel after fasting. What benefits have you personally experienced? I have never fasted before, but I am seriously considering it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Major benefit: fit the amount of calories required for me to gain/lose into my day easier.

If it is your first fast then I would be easing into it. 1 day skip breakfast. Few days later skip breakfast and lunch. Now you've fasted 24hrs.

In saying that, the longer ones don't work well for me. I much prefer the everday 16hr fast method.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I can't do the 16hr method, personally, because it messes with my will power. Nothing physical, I just can't make myself do it.

The 24-hour fasts are more mental for me than anything. They make me feel strong and in control. It's like strength training for my self-control. [:
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    See... that's how it is for me too. I'm trying the 16 hour, and it seems to be working fine, but I feel hungrier than I am during the 24 hour... it's odd, that's for sure :D
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,148 Member
    Options
    I find that as well with the 16/8 approach. It seems more difficult for me. I have an easier time with 24 hour fasts. To each their own.
  • theresamommyof4
    Options
    Okay, talk to me about vitamin suppliments. What does everyone use, and what are your suggestions?
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I take multi vitamin, calcium (incl D + K) and fermented cod live oil. Protein powder after the work out.

I don't think it's safe to fast more than a day unless you are under doc supervision.
    If you want to try to do fasting more than 1 day, it's better to do juice detox. Try master cleanse (lemonade).

I fasted yesterday and it's not bad. I had 6 hours sleep (woohooo) but I ate a lot .. last night.
    I think I'll try to have at least 200gr of carbo on fasting day for tomorrow.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I just take a general multivitamin (Costco brand), Vitamin D, and Magnesium.

The Vitamin D is because there's a chance it prevents MS (my dad has MS)

Magnesium because I don't eat a lot of vegetables and that's where we get most of our magnesium.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    multi, fish oil, (the rest are for my hip injury)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Vitamins: I take my flintstones with iron, because I'm anemic and all other iron pills make me puke. [: These also don't affect my stomach on a fast. I also take Vitamin C, because I have an awful immune system. I take fiber pills, but not during my fast.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm so glad I found this group. Without getting nasty I have to say I'm glad I found a group that doesn't blindly preach the ole "you'll go into starvation mode if you don't eat every 3 hours" stuff.
    I'm pretty good at daytime fasting. In fact I usually don't even feel like eating until I get home from work - around 6 or 7pm.

I have a question - what if I like coffee with a bit of milk and sugar? Does that defeat the purpose?
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I have coffee with a splash of milk. (no sugar though) Fasting keeps the blood/glucose level low and by having sugar that will spike blood/glucose so that is not a good idea.
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    Hi I'm so glad I found this group. Without getting nasty I have to say I'm glad I found a group that doesn't blindly preach the ole "you'll go into starvation mode if you don't eat every 3 hours" stuff.
    I'm pretty good at daytime fasting. In fact I usually don't even feel like eating until I get home from work - around 6 or 7pm.

I have a question - what if I like coffee with a bit of milk and sugar? Does that defeat the purpose?

Coffee is fine but hold off on the sugar. You can do a sweetener if you wish.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can call yesterday as fasting day. I ate 1600 cal. I definitely did not have problem sleep last night.
    I'm looking for tomorrow fast tho. I'm going to have tea since it's friday. I've been avoid caffeine on fasting day because I'm afraid I would be sleepless at night.
  • HallehRae
    HallehRae Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hurray! I'm so happy I found this thread. I just did my first 24 hr fast yesterday and it was pretty tough. I had been trying the leangains approch of 16/8 without much results so I decided to switch to ESE, so I'm going to try to fast for 24 hrs every other day. Is anyone else trying this, and did you get a nasty headache/dizzy feeling at first? I'm thinking that it should get easier as time goes on like leangains did. Any thoughts?

• letstrythisagain
    Options
    Is it suggested that women do 10/14 instead. that would fit in better with my work schedule which is 4pm-12. When i get home i need a little glass of wine and a small snack, so accordingly then i should eat from 3-12, does that sound right?
  • HallehRae
    HallehRae Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Is it suggested that women do 10/14 instead. that would fit in better with my work schedule which is 4pm-12. When i get home i need a little glass of wine and a small snack, so accordingly then i should eat from 3-12, does that sound right?

Yes, according to Martin, the guy at leangains, he suggests women only fast for 14 hrs instead of 16 because of feedback from his clients. I personally didn't have a problem with 16 though, so it's all about what works best for you and your body.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options

Yes, according to Martin, the guy at leangains, he suggests women only fast for 14 hrs instead of 16 because of feedback from his clients. I personally didn't have a problem with 16 though, so it's all about what works best for you and your body.

I will ditto this. Martin says that some of his female clients had mood swings with 16 hour fasts. I have not had a problem with it at all. I frequently forget to eat my first meal on time and go to 17 or 18 hour fasts without thinking about it.
  • theresamommyof4
    Options
    Oops! I hit save too soon and now I don't have time to respond! I do the 24 hours every other day with great results. More later :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,148 Member
    Options
    Hurray! I'm so happy I found this thread. I just did my first 24 hr fast yesterday and it was pretty tough. I had been trying the leangains approch of 16/8 without much results so I decided to switch to ESE, so I'm going to try to fast for 24 hrs every other day. Is anyone else trying this, and did you get a nasty headache/dizzy feeling at first? I'm thinking that it should get easier as time goes on like leangains did. Any thoughts?

ESE style is not every other day, it is 1 or 2 days a week where you fast by eating a normal supper, they don't eat anything until supper the next day. Then you break your fast with a normal supper, not some super huge as the 24 hour fast is supposed to be giving you are calorie deficit.

I know some people do every other day, but that is not really ESE, that is every other day IF.

I have found that the 24 hours gets easier the longer I do it. Not that it was much of a struggle even at the beginning for me. The only time I struggle is when I don't have a good night's sleep during the fast due to other factors.