wilbeful wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. 800 calories is not safe or healthy for any adult unless they're under direct medical supervision.

Others would disagree but it is for individuals to seek out information to make their own informed decisions rather than rely on comments in online forums.

Others disagreeing doesn't make them right. A lot of the comments on these forums is backed up with a lot of history, experience and knowledge.

Very true. All decisions should be evidence based.

And there is no evidence that doing 800cal on purpose for any length of time without the supervision of a doctor is good or healthy. Such things are also not encouraged on this forum and posts about unhealthy diets have been removed before.

Perhaps the OP is hoping to do a very low calorie diet under medical supervision?

OP
    Really i was just tbinking cut calories and go! I guess with the exercising too though I need more? I weigh 13.12

Doesn't sound like "under medical supervision," does it?

No but after reading and doing more research the OP, and indeed others, may consider an 800 calorie diet as being suitable.

You realize that promoting unhealthy practices, including very low calorie diets are not allowed here as per the TOU you agreed to?

I am not promoting any sort of diet.

I am suggesting people research diets that may be suitable for them.

Apologies if discussing diets proven to have health benefits is forbidden.

Health benefits for a very very very specific patient group. Namely: type 2 diabetics who are morbidly obese with at a high risk of comorbidities (such as renal failures and CVD) or already have said comorbidities for whom the risks of a VLCD outweighs the risks of their specific set of circumstances and WHO ARE UNDER MEDICAL SUPERVISION.

None of that applies to the OP.

Which is why I said after reading comments on here the OP may wish to seek such supervision.

Do any of the criteria apply in this case? Is she morbidly obese? (that's BMI of over 40 in case you didn't know) Does she have diabetes type 2? Does she have any of the complications and comorbidities associated with diabetes type 2? As far as I can tell... no. Ergo, your post is superfluous and dangerous as it promotes VLCD as being acceptable regardless of the situation.

I what way do any of my posts promote any diet?

By even arguing, in the context of a thread where it isn't appropriate at all, that it might be suitable for the OP in the slightest.

People for whom this kind of diet is appropriate, will be notified of this fact by the doctor and put under medical supervision. Far too many people will read "800kcal/day might be suitable..." and think "great, I'll do that. I've got a couple of vanity pounds I want to lose".

Maybe some of those people who read that have the ability to read further to get to the words "Or not"

I rest my case...
    sheppardf1 wrote: »
    New scientific evidence is showing 800 calories is doable if you want to lose weight FAST..and it works! hubby has lost 9kilos in 3 weeks I have lost 3 Kilos in 10 days & feel FINE..read Dr Michael Mosley...brilliant

• lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 5 and weigh 13.12 id love to be 10.5 in May! Not sure I'll look now

Hi Blondie, you are trying to lose nearly 50 lbs. This will take longer than 3 months.
    Set yourself a more realistic goal - eg 2 lbs per week between now and the holiday (taking account of any possible hiccups along the way - how will you cope with Easter?).
    Then you can re-assess the situation and continue in a healthy way.
    It may take 12 months or more to get to your goal.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 5 and weigh 13.12 id love to be 10.5 in May! Not sure I'll look now

Agree with everyone else, absolute minimum 1200 calories + eat back a portion of your exercise calories.

It's highly unlikely you can lose 3.5 stone by May, but don't let that deter you. You can still make good progress and lose a little over a stone, as well as get fitter, if you do this sensibly.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Fortunately, Michael Mosley is terrible at calculating calories so I suspect that most of his devotees are actually eating more than they think.

When I was seriously undereating in the first phase of my weight loss, I thought I'd try a couple of his recipes, which were supposedly around 250 kcal. Except that when I entered all the ingredients in MFP, they came out closer to 500...

I sincerely hope so...
  • wilbeful
    wilbeful Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. 800 calories is not safe or healthy for any adult unless they're under direct medical supervision.

Others would disagree but it is for individuals to seek out information to make their own informed decisions rather than rely on comments in online forums.

Others disagreeing doesn't make them right. A lot of the comments on these forums is backed up with a lot of history, experience and knowledge.

And there is no evidence that doing 800cal on purpose for any length of time without the supervision of a doctor is good or healthy. Such things are also not encouraged on this forum and posts about unhealthy diets have been removed before.

Perhaps the OP is hoping to do a very low calorie diet under medical supervision?

OP
    Really i was just tbinking cut calories and go! I guess with the exercising too though I need more? I weigh 13.12

No but after reading and doing more research the OP, and indeed others, may consider an 800 calorie diet as being suitable.

You realize that promoting unhealthy practices, including very low calorie diets are not allowed here as per the TOU you agreed to?

Health benefits for a very very very specific patient group. Namely: type 2 diabetics who are morbidly obese with at a high risk of comorbidities (such as renal failures and CVD) or already have said comorbidities for whom the risks of a VLCD outweighs the risks of their specific set of circumstances and WHO ARE UNDER MEDICAL SUPERVISION.

Which is why I said after reading comments on here the OP may wish to seek such supervision.

Do any of the criteria apply in this case? Is she morbidly obese? (that's BMI of over 40 in case you didn't know) Does she have diabetes type 2? Does she have any of the complications and comorbidities associated with diabetes type 2? As far as I can tell... no. Ergo, your post is superfluous and dangerous as it promotes VLCD as being acceptable regardless of the situation.

By even arguing, in the context of a thread where it isn't appropriate at all, that it might be suitable for the OP in the slightest.

People for whom this kind of diet is appropriate, will be notified of this fact by the doctor and put under medical supervision. Far too many people will read "800kcal/day might be suitable..." and think "great, I'll do that. I've got a couple of vanity pounds I want to lose".

Maybe some of those people who read that have the ability to read further to get to the words "Or not"

I rest my case...
    sheppardf1 wrote: »
    New scientific evidence is showing 800 calories is doable if you want to lose weight FAST..and it works! hubby has lost 9kilos in 3 weeks I have lost 3 Kilos in 10 days & feel FINE..read Dr Michael Mosley...brilliant

Not sure what case you are resting?

I see that some people are responding to the OP as if she has three quarters of a stone she wishes to lose and others as if she has three or four stones.

Quite a difference.

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    I have some of the recipes he promotes, and all of them say "serves 2", although it's easy to miss. I wonder if the ones you calculated had been mistakenly published without the "serves 2"?

I believe the participants on the original "800 calorie" study in Newcastle used mainly readymade meal replacements rather than recipes.
  • wilbeful
    wilbeful Posts: 20 Member
    Options

OP

and maybe we can stick to posting things that are relevant to OP and not hijack the thread?

OP, I think you should eat as many calories as MFP tells you to eat plus eat back at least some exercise calories.
    Be realistic as to your activity level and as to your expected rate of loss. Probably 1lb per week.
    Some people find excercise calories are inflated so they eat back 1/2 or 3/4 only.

Like my initial reply 😉

• MurrayElliot
    MurrayElliot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As others have said in many ways, calories are only part of the picture. It's important you don't go too far into deficit in micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) and macronutrients which are essential for function and health of vital organs, including your brain, and immune functions to name a very few.

'800 calories' doesn't tell you anything about how well you are sustaining your body and enabling the exercise you might do to actually benefit you.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I think we should stop reacting to any posts other than those addressing OP's question

To that end, I will not respond further to you,wilbeful, and will refer any further derailing posts to mods.

OP should put her stats into MFP with a realistic goal - ie between 1/2 to 2lb per week depending on how much weight she has to lose (not familiar with stones myself so not sure how much that is - but the basic advice does not change.)

ETA - exactly as ceiswyn said, you posted while I was typing. ;)
  • OneRatGirl
    OneRatGirl Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You said from 13 stone 12lbs to 10st5lbs in another message, that's 49lbs total loss. Generally with under 50lbs to lose 1lb a week seems recommended, you could maybe do 1.5. In 12 weeks (putting you towards the start of may) that would still be 18lbs / 1st4lb down, comfortably a stone in that time though even if you have a bad day or two :) I bet you'll feel a lot better even with that amount gone! You may whoosh some water weight off on top.

Log everything (remembering butter, oils, a few grapes), set MFP to the loss you want and remember to log your exercise, eat back say 50% of the calories (burns tend to be underestimated by the site and fitness watches).

You'll still look great on holiday, and the loss will be more sustainable. Fast loss eats away muscle (which will not help how you look!) and has risks like gallstones over time.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I think we should stop reacting to any posts other than those addressing OP's question

To that end, I will not respond further to you,wilbeful, and will refer any further derailing posts to mods.

OP should put her stats into MFP with a realistic goal - ie between 1/2 to 2lb per week depending on how much weight she has to lose (not familiar with stones myself so not sure how much that is - but the basic advice does not change.)

ETA - exactly as ceiswyn said, you posted while I was typing. ;)

14lbs = 1stone just FYI :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    angelsa - Yes I see other posters have converted the amount OP wishes to lose into lb's and is about 50lb.

so between 1lb and 1.5 lb per week would be realistic goal
This discussion has been closed.