Getting sick is vile, miserable, and a waste of time - so do something about it!

Options

Replies

• OneRatGirl
    OneRatGirl Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For most viruses you're contagious for at least a day before, sometimes a few days, and for the first few days of the cold.

Schools (at least here in the UK but I've heard similar complaints from the US) complain if kids have too many days off. If you let your kids stay off every time they're contagious, you'll be getting visits from social services (CPS), possibly fines and even taken to court. We're teaching kids to not take days off from the age of 5 (or earlier).

And frankly I'm prone currently to catching every cold that goes around. If somebody is like that, they'll get fired if they're taking days off every other week.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    When it's possible, of course one should stay home when they are I'll. However, when people are in such hardscrabble conditions that missing a day of work may mean not enough food for the family or am eviction notice, it's tough to think of higher concepts like herd immunity. I've been there myself. I've also been written up for calling in sick twice in the same month.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I agree that we should take precautions to not spread germs however if you work a job like mine it can be difficult to take time off. I started a new position in October and you are not allowed to use any PTO (sick or vacation) until 6 months after your hire date. I am not in a position where I can afford to take time off of work unpaid, plus if you call in sick more than 3 times in a 12 month period (paid or unpaid) you get a verbal warning, 5 times is a written warning, and more than that can be a fire able offense. I will admit I have gone to work with a gross cold but I simply cannot afford to take 3-5 unpaid days off for a cold which I can easily work through. I did warn all my coworkers I was sick and made sure I disinfected things after I used them.

Plus my job as a social worker is helping clients in crisis. If I am not there to answer my phone a client could suffer and go without food or shelter. Yes I have co workers who can assist when I am out but we each have caseloads of about 40 people and we help their whole family. That is an awful lot to ask a coworker to take on, on top of their own case load.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, DD is 2.5 years old. DH is a stay at home dad, so she doesn't go to nursery, but she does go to playgroup and swimming every week so she catches plenty of colds. Which means DH and I also catch plenty of colds. If we're lucky we don't get them at the same time, or one of us escapes getting ill altogether. Sadly for him, even if I am healthy and he is sick, he still has to soldier on at home and look after DD, cos I can't take a day off every time he is ill either (unless he's on death's door). I hate that. It sucks. But the only option for me there would be unpaid leave, which we can't afford.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    OneRatGirl wrote: »
    For most viruses you're contagious for at least a day before, sometimes a few days, and for the first few days of the cold.

Schools (at least here in the UK but I've heard similar complaints from the US) complain if kids have too many days off. If you let your kids stay off every time they're contagious, you'll be getting visits from social services (CPS), possibly fines and even taken to court. We're teaching kids to not take days off from the age of 5 (or earlier).

And frankly I'm prone currently to catching every cold that goes around. If somebody is like that, they'll get fired if they're taking days off every other week.

This is one of the reasons why we ended up pulling our kids from the traditional school setting a few years ago and now do online schooling/homeschooling. My kids were constantly surrounded by sick kids and were getting sick all the time. Now they very rarely get sick (I can't even remember the last time one of them has gotten sick).
    I'm sure that's the case. However, as a former home-schooled kid who's all grown up now, I promise you that all you're doing is storing up illnesses for the future. My mother used to boast about my healthy immune system. Turned out I wasn't catching any bugs, because I wasn't being exposed to them. Ill kids don't go out to play or attend after-school activities

When I integrated into college/work/etc, where everyone has to turn up whether they're ill or not, I ended up catching about a cold a month at one point. After a couple of years, it calmed down, because I'd caught up on exposure. Then I had kids and they went to nursery and school. Holy hellfire. I was ill so much. Even got hand, foot and mouth virus.

Ugh, I got hand, foot and mouth when it went around my kids' daycare! Horrible. I had a mouthful of sores, while they barely got anything (which I'm glad for, since they weren't nearly as miserable as I was). I wasn't homeschooled but somehow missed out on that childhood virus.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

This is one of the reasons why we ended up pulling our kids from the traditional school setting a few years ago and now do online schooling/homeschooling. My kids were constantly surrounded by sick kids and were getting sick all the time. Now they very rarely get sick (I can't even remember the last time one of them has gotten sick).
    I'm sure that's the case. However, as a former home-schooled kid who's all grown up now, I promise you that all you're doing is storing up illnesses for the future. My mother used to boast about my healthy immune system. Turned out I wasn't catching any bugs, because I wasn't being exposed to them. Ill kids don't go out to play or attend after-school activities

When I integrated into college/work/etc, where everyone has to turn up whether they're ill or not, I ended up catching about a cold a month at one point. After a couple of years, it calmed down, because I'd caught up on exposure. Then I had kids and they went to nursery and school. Holy hellfire. I was ill so much. Even got hand, foot and mouth virus.

Ugh, I got hand, foot and mouth when it went around my kids' daycare! Horrible. I had a mouthful of sores, while they barely got anything (which I'm glad for, since they weren't nearly as miserable as I was). I wasn't homeschooled but somehow missed out on that childhood virus.
    Horrible virus. Mind you, if it wasn't for me getting it, I'm not sure anyone at the playgroup would have known that it was HF&M, because the kids didn't get it badly enough to develop the sores. I did though. Boy, did I.

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Aside from those who are immune-compromised, there is something to be said for exposure and building your immune system. My N=1 expirience here: I only get sick about once or twice a year. Meanwhile, I watch people all around me get sick. I load up on vitamins to support my immune system, and rarely catch the crap that's going around. I think the small levels of exposure while others are sick is a contributing factor to my not being sick all the time. My husband (also a home-schooled kid) seems to get sick every single time he is exposed. Perhaps due to less exposure growing up? Kind of interesting to think about...

Fighting off some sort of crud right now actually.. I have a feeling this will be one of those times that zinc and vitamin C won't help me. Luckily I already have a planned day off tomorrow to head into the weekend.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Horrible virus. Mind you, if it wasn't for me getting it, I'm not sure anyone at the playgroup would have known that it was HF&M, because the kids didn't get it badly enough to develop the sores. I did though. Boy, did I.

Same!

In keeping with the thread, I did have to go to work when I had it - it lingered on MUCH too long to stay home the entire duration. I warned my co-workers and kept to myself as much as possible. Nobody else there got it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Aside from those who are immune-compromised, there is something to be said for exposure and building your immune system. My N=1 expirience here: I only get sick about once or twice a year. Meanwhile, I watch people all around me get sick. I load up on vitamins to support my immune system, and rarely catch the crap that's going around. I think the small levels of exposure while others are sick is a contributing factor to my not being sick all the time. My husband (also a home-schooled kid) seems to get sick every single time he is exposed. Perhaps due to less exposure growing up? Kind of interesting to think about...

Fighting off some sort of crud right now actually.. I have a feeling this will be one of those times that zinc and vitamin C won't help me. Luckily I already have a planned day off tomorrow to head into the weekend.

It would be so interesting to know if this (the homeschool thing) was supported by non-anecdotal evidence. I was also homeschooled and my husband has commented that I seem to get sick more often than he does. He's wondered if that has something to do with it. I was always more inclined to think it's because I commute on the bus and work in an office (while he works from home).
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

It would be so interesting to know if this (the homeschool thing) was supported by non-anecdotal evidence. I was also homeschooled and my husband has commented that I seem to get sick more often than he does. He's wondered if that has something to do with it. I was always more inclined to think it's because I commute on the bus and work in an office (while he works from home).
    Six of one, half-a-dozen of the other, I expect. Very difficult to split out the individual factors. Especially as I notice that getting a couple of viruses in quick succession from co-workers seems to leave people more vulnerable to getting another.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

I was actually homeschooled all the way through, k-12. Went onto college afterwards etc. In my 40's now and I never get sick :)
  • pinuplove
    Options

This makes me think of something I read many years ago; my focus was the medieval era with one focus on the history of medicine (and disease) and its representations in literature. So I was widely read across 3000 years of diseases, with special attention paid to plague and leprosy. At some point I came across something that stuck with me, that in looking at the WWI recruits, the army thought all the strapping, healthy, well-fed farm lads would be far more resilient than the scrawny, pale, undernourished, rat-like, disease-ridden lads coming out of the urban slums. But the farm boys ended up being knocked on their backs and even killed by the common childhood diseases that ravaged the trenches, while the city boys just shrugged them off, having received multiple exposures over the years and thus being up to date on their "vaccines" such as they were at the time.

I wish I could remember where I read that...maybe Zinsser's "Rats, Lice and History" or McNeill's "Plagues and Peoples". Some more popular work. Maybe "Guns, Germs and Steel." Now that's really going to bother me. I am getting old.

At any rate, when my kids are sick and miserable, I tell them, "Good job! Keep up being tough! You're doing the work you need to be doing to make your immune system strong!" (Might as well put a positive spin on it as I hover over them fluffing their pillows and bringing them Sprites on lacy trays).

I must be like one of the city rats, because I rarely get sick, and if I do, it's not for long.

I never tried particularly hard to shield my kids from common illnesses. No hand sanitizer, no wiping down the cart at Walmart, etc. We just went about our life and if someone got sick, they just got sick. I don't think they were any more or less prone to getting sick than my friends' kids who went out of their way to protect them.