February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @kgirlhart this site has a tool towards the bottom to help you find possible alternatives. Of course, nothing beats trying on the shoe in question.
    https://runrepeat.com/saucony-ride-10

This site also list options towards the bottom of the page (and it's also a great shoe review site)
    https://www.solereview.com/saucony-ride-10-review/
    They list 6 different options.

One thought is to call the store where you bought your current shoes and explain the situation. You may find that they can provide a suggestion and ship them out to you.

Another idea is to use one of the several online shoe stores which offer free shipping and free returns. Buy several and keep what you like. Saucony offers this, as does runningwarehouse.com and zappos.com . Amazon has so many sellers that I don't know if you could count on that with them.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Thanks @PastorVincent I did wonder about the drop. I have ordered them on Amazon before. I was just thinking about looking at other shoes but not really sure which ones compared.

That is going to be tough to do online. I would recommend just ordering another pair of these until you can get to a store to try others on. There is so much difference in shoes, feel and such that it is very rare I order online until I bought the pair in a store first.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,998 Member
    Options
    Thanks @7lenny7 I'll check those sites out. And I may just call them and see what they suggest.

@PastorVincent I probably will end up ordering more Ride 10s on Amazon. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to head over there again and I'm sure I'll need new shoes before then. I actually need new shoes now.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    I saw this article about rest and recovery between races and thought of @midwesterner85's question earlier this month.
    https://www.womensrunning.com/2019/02/race-tips/3-factors-consider-start-line_100818
    No hard and fast rules clearly but some good things to consider.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Thanks @7lenny7 I'll check those sites out. And I may just call them and see what they suggest.

@PastorVincent I probably will end up ordering more Ride 10s on Amazon. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to head over there again and I'm sure I'll need new shoes before then. I actually need new shoes now.

REI also has free shipping and satisfaction guaranteed returns.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @kgirlhart this site has a tool towards the bottom to help you find possible alternatives. Of course, nothing beats trying on the shoe in question.
    https://runrepeat.com/saucony-ride-10

This site also list options towards the bottom of the page (and it's also a great shoe review site)
    https://www.solereview.com/saucony-ride-10-review/
    They list 6 different options.

One thought is to call the store where you bought your current shoes and explain the situation. You may find that they can provide a suggestion and ship them out to you.

Another idea is to use one of the several online shoe stores which offer free shipping and free returns. Buy several and keep what you like. Saucony offers this, as does runningwarehouse.com and zappos.com . Amazon has so many sellers that I don't know if you could count on that with them.

One thing with Amazon is if you buy the shoes that are marked (as these were) "Prime Wardrobe" you can actually order them and try them on for free. Pay only if you keep them.

When ever you deal with Amazon, it is best to make sure you stick to things that are marked "Sold by Amazon" - saves a lot of trouble later. Or sold by the manufacturer directly via Amazon (Like Saucony does).
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Keep in mind shipping times will have a big impact on this. So if you get one pair and do not like, and ship it back and then get another... your easily several weeks into shoe shopping. If you order something you know will work, then you can take all the time you need to shop out your next pair. Just another thought.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart I feel your pain, I'm 2hrs away from the nearest shoe fitting store and am. Currently going through the same issue. I've got the next model up from my current pair in the post on its way to me atm, waiting for them to arrive is painful. I admit if I was just an hour away, I'd be in that car and trying them on, but that's a difference in perspective, right now I'd love a shop only an hour away!

Good luck!
  • 7lenny7
    edited February 2019
    Options

Keep in mind shipping times will have a big impact on this. So if you get one pair and do not like, and ship it back and then get another... your easily several weeks into shoe shopping. If you order something you know will work, then you can take all the time you need to shop out your next pair. Just another thought.

Or do what my wife does when there's free shipping both ways...order a bunch of clothes and return what doesn't work. No need to order just one pair of shoes at a time.

• 7lenny7
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @kgirlhart - I will reorder the same shoes I am used to and like without worry but with new brands/models I like to try them on. I like the suggestions so far on ordering online trying and returning what you don't like but that can also be a pain. For what its worth Amazon also has free shipping/returns if you have Prime. I am looking to order a replacement pair of my current Altra's from REI because they are cheaper than Amazon but will be going to a running store today to try on a pair of Brooks I have been considering.
    @StephSuter2508 - welcome and good luck with your return from injury! I don't know how long you have been out but don't rush your return to your previous pace and risk re-injury!
    @rusonespresso - going on vacation is fine but it has to be a run inclusive vacation! Remember that for next time :lol:
    @garygse - good luck in Phoenix!!
    @julies3103 - good luck on your race!
    @7lenny7 - thanks for the info on the Altra warranty. I have worn them for years and had no idea they had a great return/exchange policy. But then I never needed it either!

I just found out my favorite shoe company (Skora Running) that has had no product for over a year (yikes!) is finally going to have new shoes available later this month!

@shanaber I think most quality running shoe companies would do the same thing.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Or do what my wife does when there's free shipping both ways...order a bunch of clothes and return what doesn't work. No need to order just one pair of shoes at a time.

With the price of shoes I could not afford to do that, so I do not assume others could drop that kind of cash either. And no, I do not recommend credit cards. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    What stinks is my Saucony Ride 10s have a lot of life left in them, but the more I run in my Altra Lone Peak 3.5 trail running shoes... the more I want to try their road shoes. The zero drop + wide toe box is a good combo for my feet.