February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @greyparks206: Wow, way to go! I totally feel you on not wanting to let an entry fee go to waste. I feel a little silly about it sometimes, but anything that gets you out of bed and out the door is worth it. Congratulations on your PR, that's fantastic! Your report is making me feel better about my 10k race next weekend - I've only gotten one run in so far this month. >.>

@garygse: BQ whaaaat?!?! I'll be over here in with @PastorVincent and The Oatmeal tipping my hat to that kind of speed!

ETA: @mobycarp: Way to kick butt in the snow! I'm eagerly looking forward to a warmer run tomorrow in similar conditions. Hopefully a little less wind, though.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Race Report Time...

Whew. Today did not start off well. It's been a horribly stressful week, and, as I mentioned in my last post, I haven't been sleeping well. The only run I got in all week was my crappy 1.5 miles of treadmill struggle on Thursday. When my alarm went off at 4:00 this morning, I very nearly turned it off and laid back down. But I finally convinced myself that I shouldn't let my entry fee go to waste. I drug myself out of bed and dressed, got myself and all the animals fed, and managed to get to the race site with about 10 minutes to spare to pick up my packet and get myself together before the start.

On Thursday, it was 82 degrees here. When I arrived at the race, it was 41 degrees and overcast. Ugh. But this was a Mardi Gras themed race, and the music and energy quickly started improving my spirits. As I looked around, I realized it was going to be a very small race (maybe 15-20 participants, best I could tell), and there was going to be a vehicle following the racers.

I immediately started to get anxious that I was going to fall way behind and spend the whole race being tailed by that car. To add to my nerves, I just got a new iPhone XS this week and didn't realize until I got to the race that this model doesn't have a headphone jack. I usually use MapMyRun to provide pace updates and keep myself on track but resigned myself to running on instinct today. Except that I ALSO apparently don't know how to fully mute this new phone, which I realized 0.25 miles in when my pace update was broadcast from my pocket to the entire race pack. Anxiety level = 1000.

But, soon, I realized that I wasn't just staying with the pack - I was passing people! Soon I found myself running in the first half of our (admittedly small) group. My pace updates were telling my that I was absolutely FLYING (by my standards) - and I didn't feel like I was going to die! About halfway through, I realized that I was on track for a sub-30 minute 5k and started second guessing my app, especially because it was also indicating that I had run a bit further than I expected for that point in the race.

As soon as the finish line came into sight, I realized that MapMyRun wasn't that crazy after all. Official results haven't been posted yet, but I think I was somewhere in the neighborhood of 30:20 on the clock when I crossed the line! There were no age group awards (other than youth/adult splits) at this race, but, best I could tell, I was the 3rd or 4th woman to finish. Small race or not, that's a huge achievement for me. My 2018 finish times for 5k races were 38:40 (April), 39:16 (May), 38:14 (June), and 36:17 (October). This was a SIX MINUTE improvement on my 5k PR! Holy cow. I'm thrilled, to say the least.

MapMyRun and my Fitbit both think the course was about 3.5 miles, not 3.1, and that I ran for about 32 minutes rather than 30. Either way, that's a sub-10 minute/mile pace, so I'm not going to complain. But I'm absolutely logging the mileage as 3.5. Lol.

10.5/55.0 miles for February so far

@greyparks206 Congrats on the PR!!! Excellent running :)

I am LOLing about the headphone jack thing. I’ve had my iPhone for a couple of years and the no-headphone jack thing is still inconvenient (and still pisses me off). I think it’s an Apple marketing ploy to make us buy more Apple brand accessories to go with our overpriced phones. 🙄
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job to both @garygse and @greyparks206!
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Yay @garygse and @greyparks206 ! Amazing!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Race Report Time...

Whew. Today did not start off well. It's been a horribly stressful week, and, as I mentioned in my last post, I haven't been sleeping well. The only run I got in all week was my crappy 1.5 miles of treadmill struggle on Thursday. When my alarm went off at 4:00 this morning, I very nearly turned it off and laid back down. But I finally convinced myself that I shouldn't let my entry fee go to waste. I drug myself out of bed and dressed, got myself and all the animals fed, and managed to get to the race site with about 10 minutes to spare to pick up my packet and get myself together before the start.

On Thursday, it was 82 degrees here. When I arrived at the race, it was 41 degrees and overcast. Ugh. But this was a Mardi Gras themed race, and the music and energy quickly started improving my spirits. As I looked around, I realized it was going to be a very small race (maybe 15-20 participants, best I could tell), and there was going to be a vehicle following the racers.

I immediately started to get anxious that I was going to fall way behind and spend the whole race being tailed by that car. To add to my nerves, I just got a new iPhone XS this week and didn't realize until I got to the race that this model doesn't have a headphone jack. I usually use MapMyRun to provide pace updates and keep myself on track but resigned myself to running on instinct today. Except that I ALSO apparently don't know how to fully mute this new phone, which I realized 0.25 miles in when my pace update was broadcast from my pocket to the entire race pack. Anxiety level = 1000.

But, soon, I realized that I wasn't just staying with the pack - I was passing people! Soon I found myself running in the first half of our (admittedly small) group. My pace updates were telling my that I was absolutely FLYING (by my standards) - and I didn't feel like I was going to die! About halfway through, I realized that I was on track for a sub-30 minute 5k and started second guessing my app, especially because it was also indicating that I had run a bit further than I expected for that point in the race.

As soon as the finish line came into sight, I realized that MapMyRun wasn't that crazy after all. Official results haven't been posted yet, but I think I was somewhere in the neighborhood of 30:20 on the clock when I crossed the line! There were no age group awards (other than youth/adult splits) at this race, but, best I could tell, I was the 3rd or 4th woman to finish. Small race or not, that's a huge achievement for me. My 2018 finish times for 5k races were 38:40 (April), 39:16 (May), 38:14 (June), and 36:17 (October). This was a SIX MINUTE improvement on my 5k PR! Holy cow. I'm thrilled, to say the least.

MapMyRun and my Fitbit both think the course was about 3.5 miles, not 3.1, and that I ran for about 32 minutes rather than 30. Either way, that's a sub-10 minute/mile pace, so I'm not going to complain. But I'm absolutely logging the mileage as 3.5. Lol.

10.5/55.0 miles for February so far

Great PR!!!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    I'm not going to type a report on my phone, so the full race report will have to wait until I get back to Dallas tomorrow. For now, I'm letting the recovery tights work their magic on my poor legs, so I'll just leave this here in the meantime:

o9xduolmu3oc.jpg

That's an outstanding race. Well done!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your duathalon @ddmom0811. Sounds very tough with all those hills! I would take a transition break too - love your comment about taking a glass of wine if they offered it. Now that would be a fun race.

@JulieS3103 awesome job on your 8k, that's a fantastic improvement over last year! Well done.