Soup☺️

joujouannw
joujouannw Posts: 14 Member
Hi! ☺️
do you know any easy good soup recipes? Take care & May God bless you always.☺️

Replies

• emmab6104
    emmab6104 Posts: 3 Member
    Seafood soup. Sopa de Mariscos. Spanish style.
    Tin of chopped tomatoes, red pepper. Diced carrots and turnip.Diced onion. Garlic and ginger, optional!
    Boil all together then with hand blender blend as much as you desire, I like to keep some lumps! Lastly Add ready cooked seafood mix, your choice calamari, prawns, Cray fish, mussels. Etc. To make it more filling you can add chick peas or lentils for example. You can make it as thick or as thin as you like.
  • emmab6104
    emmab6104 Posts: 3 Member
    All of the above and change it for chicken instead of seafood. I like it runny, only blend tomatoes and red pepper to make a beautiful colour. Tiny Diced carrots and chick peas. Garlic and ginger for flavour, as well as black pepper and turmeric will add extra powerful nutrients.
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    edited February 2019
    Here's a recipe I've been using pretty often and makes about 5 servings:

1 cup of lentils (or dry peas)
    5 cups of broth (chicken or beef)
    1 large carrot
    1 potato (or 1/4 cup of rice)
    1 small onion
    3 cloves garlic
    1 chicken or beef bouillon cube
    0.5 cup of spinach (or cabbage)
    1 tablespoon tomato paste (if I used cabbage instead of spinach)
    1 tablespoon homemade sofrito

I usually add any left over meats I have from the week and add it to the soup. Last week, I had chicken, the week prior, beef and this week I added pork. You can also play with the amount of seasoning/spices you want to add. For example, I usually add a scotch bonnet pepper for a little heat. I make this in the crockpot and it usually takes about 4 hours on high. I add the carrots, potato and spinach in the final hour of cooking.
  • QueenOfDenial50
    QueenOfDenial50 Posts: 2 Member
    How do you get your calories from a mixture of foods like this? I am having a lot of trouble with that. Say I make veggie soup - how do I know that the ones I get to choose from have the same ingredients as mine since they are all different themselves?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    How do you get your calories from a mixture of foods like this? I am having a lot of trouble with that. Say I make veggie soup - how do I know that the ones I get to choose from have the same ingredients as mine since they are all different themselves?

You can use the recipe builder. For fresh foods, accurate data can usually be found by searching with "USDA" in the front. Better accuracy can be achieved by weighing your ingredients as you add them. Weigh your soup pan before you start and jot it down. Weigh the finished product and subtract the weight of the pan, and then use that data to determine your portion size.
  • try2again
    edited February 2019
    All of my soup recipes are good & easy ;)

My Minestrone

1 large onion
    2 stalks celery
    3 carrots
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1 TB oil
    6 cups beef broth or water/bouillon combo
    1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
    2 cups chopped cabbage
    1 tsp oregano
    1tsp basil
    salt & pepper to taste
    1-2 cups chopped zucchini
    1 can red beans
    2-3 oz elbow macaroni

Saute onion & celery in oil, adding carrots & garlic the last couple of minutes. Add through the seasonings, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer for 40 minutes. Add more water/broth as needed. Add zucchini, beans & macaroni and cook another 15-20 minutes, or until macaroni is tender. We like ours with shredded sharp cheddar. 10 servings, 130 calories/serving.

Cheesy Ham and Wild Rice Soup

2-3 stalks celery, chopped
    4 carrots, shredded
    1 large onion
    1/4 cup butter
    1/3 cup flour
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 can fat free evaporated milk
    1/2 cup skim milk
    8 oz 2% Velveeta
    8-10 oz diced ham
    1/2 cup dry wild rice
    2/3 cup dry long grain rice
    8 cups low sodium chicken broth or 8 cups water + 3 TB chicken bouillon

Prepare rice according to package instructions (wild rice takes up to an hour to cook, so plan ahead). Saute onion & celery in butter until soft, adding carrots the last couple of minutes. Add flour & pepper, stir & cook a minute. Add milks, stir and bring to boil + 2 minutes. Lower heat and add cheese, stirring until melted. Add the rest and heat through. 12 generous (1 1/2 cup) servings, 275 calories.

Lightened Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana

1/4-1/2 lb Italian sausage
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 tsp minced garlic
    48 oz low sodium chicken broth
    3-4 large russets, unpeeled, quartered and sliced 1/4" thick
    1 12 oz can 2% or fat free evaporated milk
    4 cups chopped kale
    salt & pepper to taste

Brown the sausage & onion, drain. Add garlic 1 minute. Add broth & potatoes, cover and simmer 6-7 minutes or until tender (don't overcook). Stir in kale and simmer 1-2 minutes. Add milk & heat through. Season to taste. 8 servings, 237 calories/serving prepared with 4 medium potatoes and 2% evap. milk.

• amelisegb
    amelisegb Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2019
    Please enjoy my VERY lazy spinach & tortellini soup... it's great for days when you're just eating out of your pantry. You basically just dump everything in a pot and call it a day. Plus you only get two dishes dirty - the pot and the spoon lol. (Edit: and a knife and a cutting board... forgot about those)

1 can diced tomatoes
    1 package frozen spinach
    1 package (frozen or otherwise) cheese tortellini
    1 onion, chopped
    2 tbsp olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    4 cups vegetable broth
    Spices - whatever you like (salt/pepper, bay leaf, dried basil, oregano, garlic powder, etc)
    Optional Parmesan cheese on top/bread for dipping

In a soup pot, heat olive oil over medium. Add diced onion & a little salt, and cook 2 minutes, then add minced garlic. Cook until onion is translucent. Add vegetable broth and canned tomatoes (including juice), frozen spinach, and frozen tortellini, then bring to boil. Add any spices/herbs you like and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Usually makes 4 servings at around ~330 calories per serving... plus any bread you want to eat it with. It will last in the fridge for a couple days no problem, and I've frozen it before too if you want to make a big batch.
  • meow48
    meow48 Posts: 1 Member
    Did someone say soup?

Soup is a daily staple for me. I make a big batch of vegetable soup every Sunday and that's part of my lunch every day. It's easy and it's a sure-fire way for me to get some good veggie intake. I don't follow any kind of recipe because it's different every week, depending on what veggies we have in the fridge or freezer. Some of the regulars are onions, celery, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach or kale, maybe some green beans. Bring them up to the boil in some chicken broth and then I turn off the stove and let it sit for a while. The veggies are slightly under cooked so when I re-heat in the microwave they're just right and not too mushy. That's when I add my protein like beans, lentils or leftover meat.

Martha Stewart has a great recipe for mushroom barley soup.....so good. But it's a longer process because you have to soak dried mushrooms, then saute fresh mushrooms, etc. So when I make this I do the big-batch too.

Luv soup!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I don't have links to recipes but my favorite two soups that I make are zuppa toscana copycat (kale, italian sausage and potato) and Ham and Potato soup.

Zuppa Toscana - you can google this and find a receipe. but I just brown the italian sausage, add salt/pepper and red pepper flakes depending on how hot the sausage is. Then slice russet potatoes thin, leaving skin on. Usually about 3 potatoes or so. Add those in, fill pot with enough chicken broth to cover the potatoes. Boil until the potatoes are nice and soft. Add a cup or two of chopped kale, cook until that is cooked. Add about 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream. Done. (This is the only thing kale is good for hahaha)

Ham/Potato Soup - This one I have a link for. It's good.
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/56927/delicious-ham-and-potato-soup/
  • QueenOfDenial50
    QueenOfDenial50 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you Try2Again. I will give that a try. I have one more question for newbies, when you say how many ounces of chicken you eat, is that raw weight or cooked weight? Rice or oats, is that before or after it's cooked? I've been doing my after it's cooked size, but is that right?
  • sonilac
    sonilac Posts: 55 Member
    I have a few, hope you decide to try any of them:
    1. Instant pot bean soup (recipe has meat but it can be done without) - https://mediterraneanlatinloveaffair.com/instant-pot-bean-soup-albanian-fasule/
    2. Meat & Potato Stew - https://mediterraneanlatinloveaffair.com/instant-pot-meat-and-potatoes-stew/
    3. Grean Peas and dill stew - https://mediterraneanlatinloveaffair.com/green-peas-stew/
    4. Peanut soup - https://mediterraneanlatinloveaffair.com/peanut-soup-bolivian-sopa-de-mani/
    5. Yellow split peas soup (vegetarian) - https://mediterraneanlatinloveaffair.com/instant-pot-yellow-split-peas-soup-with-spinach/ (see picture below for this one)

xnzc870dk94n.jpg

• try2again
    edited February 2019
    Thank you Try2Again. I will give that a try. I have one more question for newbies, when you say how many ounces of chicken you eat, is that raw weight or cooked weight? Rice or oats, is that before or after it's cooked? I've been doing my after it's cooked size, but is that right?

The serving size listed on packages of things like rice, oats, & pasta are for the dry weight. If you are making large batches, you can weigh out the appropriate dry weight, and then weigh the cooked product and divide by the number of servings you made to find the individual cooked portion size.

As was said, search for the item in the form you weighed it in.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Here's a super quick black bean soup I love to make:

4 cups cooked black beans
    1 jar (16 oz) of your favorite salsa
    1 diced onion
    2 diced green bell peppers
    2 cups water
    ½ Tblsp cumin
    2 tsp garlic powder

Bring everything to a boil, reduce to medium heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until the onions and peppers are cooked through. So yummy!
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Ground beef and green pepper soup

1 lb ground beef
    2 Green Peppers
    1 Onion
    1TBSP olive oil
    1 can corn (drained)
    1 can green beans (drained)
    1 can diced tomatoes
    3 cups beef broth
    2 tsp oregano
    Salt and pepper to taste

1. In a skillet brown the ground beef. Drain it and set it aside.
    2. Dice the peppers and the onion. Add the oil to the soup pot and saute the peppers and onion until they are tender.
    3. Add the beef and all the remaining ingredients into the pot. Bring to a boil.
    4. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.

I personally like to add a dash of balsamic vinegar to my bowl. (My husband hates it that way or I would add some to the pot when it was done simmering.)
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Nearly every single day in fall/winter is Soup Dinner for me.
    I go thru phases, and am currently making giant batches of roasted squash soup, and then freezing. I switch up the toppings nightly (protein, nuts, fresh veg) and never seem to burn out. Base soup+toppings makes for infinite combinations.

I was a commercial chef for a few years, I’m terrible at exact recipes. I cook by taste and process, and typically in massive quantities (cooking a single meal just doesn’t make sense to me, if it can be batch cooked without compromising quality. Base soup is great for this- leaving the protein and more delicate veg out of the base keeps the integrity of those ingredients.)

Here’s my ‘approximate’ how-to for Roasted Squash Soup:
    http://hills-for-breakfast.com/2019/01/06/roasted-squash-soup/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I like this one:

Stuffed Pepper Soup
    6 servings
    RECIPE BY Cooking Light
    Ingredients
    1/2 pound ground round
    2 cups chopped green / red bell pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted (I like Progesso Tomato & Basil, Campbell's is too sweet IMO)
    1 1/2 cups hot cooked white rice

Heat a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add chopped green bell pepper and onion; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in black pepper, less-sodium beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
    Spoon 1/4 cup hot cooked white rice into each of 6 bowls; top with 1 cup soup.
  • I have found all the Skinny Taste soup recipes to be very good!
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    edited February 2019
    made 1st time today. amazing!
    Cook crockpot 4 hrs on high. Dump all ingredients except chicken and stir.. add the raw chicken breasts. Will shred the breasts after cooked and add back in.
    Serves 6- 2 cup bowls at 238 calories. I didn’t add shredded cheddar cheese or sour cream to top of bowl so calories will be different if you do. It doesn't need it!

Ingredients:
    1lb chicken breast
    1 14.5 oz can of chicken broth
    1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, basil, garlic, & oregano
    1 10oz can of diced tomatoes & green chilies (Regular not mild or hot)
    1 15oz can of black beans
    1 pack of frozen corn. (2 cups) sorry I don’t know the oz of bag (threw away)
    1 pack of taco seasoning
    1 Tbs fresh chopped cilantro
    2 minced garlic gloves
    1 medium bell pepper diced
    1/2 of white onion diced, about 1/2 cup
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,524 Member
    This is a very lazy hack for soupe au pistou.

Boil a bag of frozen veg. Toss in a chopped skinned tomato and a tin of white beans. Serve with a very large dollop of pesto to flavour the broth.

If you want to do it without the hacks, here's a typical recipe.
    https://www.davidlebovitz.com/soupe-au-pistou-french-vegetable-soup-recipe/