February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    I ordered another pair of Altra Escalante from REI last weekend and they came today. If I ever get to run again I will be all set. This is the first time in a couple of years that I am down to just 3 pairs of running shoes. I am hoping my Topo Athletics will be okayed by the PT when I see him. Otherwise it will just be the 2 pairs of Altra's.

@ddmom0811 - I hope your foot feels great from now on!
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Great race report @rheddmobile – sounds my kind of trail!!
    @garygse nice pics. Are you Dutch????

Interval run this morning – am getting good at being consistent with my activities – mentally I tell myself I can sleep or rest tomorrow.

A good run. You can tell that there is a local half marathon coming up as usually I see one other person at 6am running, this morning there were half a dozen. None of them were on the dark towpath though….

Am getting better with my speed intervals, although getting faster I have realised is a very long, slow process, and not helped mentally by seeing friends training for the above half marathon posting 10 minute miles as beginners. Ho-hum.

I wanted especially today to thank @RunsOnEspresso . I have been reading Kara Gouchers book ‘Strong’ and while I haven’t yet delved into the whole mantra thingy I am finding the idea of a confidence journal inspiring. So each night, I write a short note in my diary about what GOOD things came out of the day, even when my run is a bit meh, there’s always something to learn from it. It’s another item on my ‘be consistent and make a habit’ list.

We have a TV show over here called "operation transformation" where people are encouraged to get fit and healthy... This is the only time of the year I ever see people out at 6am! So annoying when they run past though! :D

Confidence journal sounds intriguing! Will have to have a look.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent That is the same reason I use the treadmill for intervals. I may just continue when I switch over to threshold runs (like what you are describing). The treadmill forces me to go faster becauae I have to keep up with it. I still do long runs outside, though.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    2-1 7k easy
    2-2 7k easy
    2-3 Rest
    2-4 7k easy
    2-5 Rest
    2-6 7k slow
    2-7 7k intervals
    2-8 Rest
    2-9 7k slow
    2-10 12k slow
    2-11 7k recovery
    2-12 Rest

February Total: 61k
    February Goal: 100k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Scheduled rest day today. That's good, because it's 33 degrees F and pouring rain on top of what snow remains from yesterday. My hip can use the break, too.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    @7lenny7 I had one GU gel 15 minutes prior to the race start, and then after that it was just the Gatorade.

I think the average runner burns around 100 calories per mile, and stores about 2000 carb calories, which is why you tend to see people hitting the wall at around the 20 mile mark. According to Garmin, I burned a little over 2100 calories for the entire race, so my guess is I've become a little more economical with my running over time, and can therefore get through the race without needing to take on as much extra fuel during it.

With three extra years of running, and the type of running you do, I would very much imagine that you have much more endurance now to try for that sub-four. Just plan on a good fueling strategy, because once you're empty, pace goes out of the window and it's too late to take on extra fuel.

For my first I went through a lot of nutrition calculations to figure out what I needed and that worked well. When I got into ultras I realized that it was a lot easier to test maximum hourly energy consumption on long runs then maximize consumption during the race. I'm not sure if that would translate well to a marathon since I'd be running harder. I'd have to do more testing at marathon pace.

Yep, I need to break 4 hours. I don't know when or where, but I need to put something on my long term plan

Pittsburgh! May 2019! With me! 4 is my magic wall. I broke it for the first time last year. Hope to do it again this year. :)

I walk the water stops. Drink the Gatorade and eat 3 Clif blocks every hour for a street marathon. So I guess I am taking on 100-200 calories per hour.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Question for the group RE: Running a 5K race during marathon training. It just dawned on me that I really haven't done this before. But I am signed up for a 5K on Saturday, right in the thick of my marathon training. For those that do this regularly, how do you handle your long run mileage for the weekend? Do you build it around your 5K or do you do it the next day? As luck would have it, I should be running my first of three twenties this weekend. I plan to do a 3 mile warm up before my race, so that will get me at least 6 for Saturday. I could always do another 14 afterwards, but I am not sure how I like that idea, especially because history has proven that I am incapable of taking it easy during a race. On the other hand, I am worried about how I am going to feel on Sunday after a 5K race in the cold. Any thoughts or perils of wisdom?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Question for the group RE: Running a 5K race during marathon training. It just dawned on me that I really haven't done this before. But I am signed up for a 5K on Saturday, right in the thick of my marathon training. For those that do this regularly, how do you handle your long run mileage for the weekend? Do you build it around your 5K or do you do it the next day? As luck would have it, I should be running my first of three twenties this weekend. I plan to do a 3 mile warm up before my race, so that will get me at least 6 for Saturday. I could always do another 14 afterwards, but I am not sure how I like that idea, especially because history has proven that I am incapable of taking it easy during a race. On the other hand, I am worried about how I am going to feel on Sunday after a 5K race in the cold. Any thoughts or perils of wisdom?

Well most of y'all think I am nutters, but I would just run the 5k, and then later that day or the next day run the full 20 as per the plan. The whole point of the plan is that you are running the 20 when you are at a deficit to start with, so the 5k plays into that.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Well most of y'all think I am nutters, but I would just run the 5k, and then later that day or the next day run the full 20 as per the plan. The whole point of the plan is that you are running the 20 when you are at a deficit to start with, so the 5k plays into that.

That's what I'd do. But I'd try really hard not to go all out at the 5k. I'd want my 20 miles to be in a single run if possible. Not broken up.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    @7lenny7 I had one GU gel 15 minutes prior to the race start, and then after that it was just the Gatorade.

I think the average runner burns around 100 calories per mile, and stores about 2000 carb calories, which is why you tend to see people hitting the wall at around the 20 mile mark. According to Garmin, I burned a little over 2100 calories for the entire race, so my guess is I've become a little more economical with my running over time, and can therefore get through the race without needing to take on as much extra fuel during it.

With three extra years of running, and the type of running you do, I would very much imagine that you have much more endurance now to try for that sub-four. Just plan on a good fueling strategy, because once you're empty, pace goes out of the window and it's too late to take on extra fuel.

For my first I went through a lot of nutrition calculations to figure out what I needed and that worked well. When I got into ultras I realized that it was a lot easier to test maximum hourly energy consumption on long runs then maximize consumption during the race. I'm not sure if that would translate well to a marathon since I'd be running harder. I'd have to do more testing at marathon pace.

Yep, I need to break 4 hours. I don't know when or where, but I need to put something on my long term plan

Pittsburgh! May 2019! With me! 4 is my magic wall. I broke it for the first time last year. Hope to do it again this year. :)

I walk the water stops. Drink the Gatorade and eat 3 Clif blocks every hour for a street marathon. So I guess I am taking on 100-200 calories per hour.

That would be fun! I even have a nephew in Pittsburgh. But, that's just two weeks after a 50 mile race and 2 weeks before the Superior Spring 50k. I need to take it easy this year after surgery and we'll likely be sailing that weekend, or at least getting the boat prepped.