February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @samthepanda If you aren't allergic, try peanut butter toast 90 minutes before you plan to run. I find it helps, even with shorter runs. I'm slow too but my performance improves noticeably if I fuel & hydrate properly.

Completely agree that runs are much better/easier with some fuel inside you. I run early in the morning, so can't eat anything really substantial beforehand but experimenting proved that a mug of coffee and a banana about half an hour before I head out works perfect for me. Then for long runs I stick a couple of jelly babies in my pocket. Not very 'professional' but a damn sight more convenient than gels and stuff.

I’m with this. I also run early, and can do around 40 minutes fasted if it’s just a straightforward run, but I’ve been trying to do speed workouts once a week. So I mix up a chocolate milk in a flask and keep it beside my bed, then drink that as soon as I wake up.

Definitely helps.

Ooh! Must try this! I get up at 5.50 to get my run started by 6 so my body doesn't know what's hit it but I do find it fairly tough after the 30 minute mark...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @JulieS3103 have fun tomorrow. it was one of my favorite races. (hopefully, they will deice the route well)
  • JulieS3103
    JulieS3103 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks @mbaker566 I'm hoping that too otherwise I'm going to slide right down the hill :D
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    You gotta love a shoe company which stands by their product. I have a pair of Altra Lone Peak 3.0 which are starting to split near the toe. I can still use them, but I am concerned that the split will greatly expand while running, making for a difficult time getting back to the trail head. I bought these in November of 2016 but because I have a lot of shoes to rotate through, to date I only have 250 miles on them. They come with a 300 to 500 mile warranty (I'm not sure just how a range work with a warranty) but considering how old they are, I wouldn't be up

Considering how old they are, I wouldn't blame them for denying my claim, but I thought I'd ask and see what they said. They asked for photos, I sent them in, and now I have a new pair on their way to me! They're two models past the 3.0 so I'm getting the latest version, 4.0. The only thing better than new running shoes is free new running shoes!
    Gosh, knowing that makes me wish I had tracked the data on my Altra Timps! Not that they seem to have anything wrong with them, but in case they ever do.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    I have a question about shoes. I have been wearing Saucony Ride 10s. These are the shoes they put me in when I went to the running store and had my gait analyzed. She suggested these, or some Mizuno shoes but I don't remember which model. The nearest running store is an hour away from me and it is pretty inconvenient to get over there. Is there a website or list somewhere that would tell me other shoes that compare to the Ride 10s? I think these are neutral shoes and I really don't know anything about "drop". I have ~380 miles on these and my feet are starting to feel tired and achy. I run on roads and sidewalks. I know I need to go to a running store, but I live in a little town in the middle of nowhere so I tend to do a lot of my shopping on Amazon. There are just so many different models of running shoe and I know what works for one might not work for someone else. I just wondered if there was someplace that I could compare similar shoes.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I have a question about shoes. I have been wearing Saucony Ride 10s. These are the shoes they put me in when I went to the running store and had my gait analyzed. She suggested these, or some Mizuno shoes but I don't remember which model. The nearest running store is an hour away from me and it is pretty inconvenient to get over there. Is there a website or list somewhere that would tell me other shoes that compare to the Ride 10s? I think these are neutral shoes and I really don't know anything about "drop". I have ~380 miles on these and my feet are starting to feel tired and achy. I run on roads and sidewalks. I know I need to go to a running store, but I live in a little town in the middle of nowhere so I tend to do a lot of my shopping on Amazon. There are just so many different models of running shoe and I know what works for one might not work for someone else. I just wondered if there was someplace that I could compare similar shoes.

They are neutral and I think they have an 8mm drop if I recall right. You can just order them again on Amazon if you want: https://amzn.to/2teNp13

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks @PastorVincent I did wonder about the drop. I have ordered them on Amazon before. I was just thinking about looking at other shoes but not really sure which ones compared.