February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Thanks @7lenny7 I'll check those sites out. And I may just call them and see what they suggest.

@PastorVincent I probably will end up ordering more Ride 10s on Amazon. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to head over there again and I'm sure I'll need new shoes before then. I actually need new shoes now.

Just FYI, I also run in Ride 10s, so I emailed Altra and asked them what shoe they offer (they are 0 drop, which I perfer) that would be a good match and they said:
    Good Afternoon Vincent,
    As far a comparable Altra shoe to your Sauconys I would recommend either the Torin 3.5 or the Escalante which are moderate cushion or the Solstice with is a lighter cushion road shoe.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent and @7lenny7 - I have worn several of the Altra models. I had the early One (2) (one squared but don't know how to type that here) and loved them once I figured out the sizing which was really off. They were very fast, I mean I would go out for a run expecting to be on pace and ending up much faster and not even realizing. The only issue I had with them was they wore out really fast for a minimal shoe. I tried to buy one of the later versions of the same shoe but could never get the sizing right (too big, too small, heel slipping, etc.) and gave up on Altras altogether for a while. I tried the Torins maybe even before the Ones. They were too cushy for me but I wore them for walking around shoes for a long time and they were great. They could be slippery on wet surfaces though. Right now I am only wearing Altra Escalantes - the original version and not the newer 1.5s. The reviews on those talked about your foot slipping around in the shoe when running or feeling that way and my trainer had that exact experience. He hasn't given up on them but says they feel very strange.

I had intended to go to the nearest shoe store to me to try on some Brooks Pureflow 7s. Fortunately I called first because they have none... at least I didn't fight traffic both ways for nothing. Instead I ordered another pair of the original Escalante on sale through REI.
    So I am not going to try any other brands for now until I get feedback and the gait analysis from the PT (loves my Altras and says they fit the way my feet curve). I am hoping he will like my Topos too although they may not have enough cushion to make him happy. I also heard that my favorite Skoras are supposed to have new stock later this month or early March - I hope so!

On REI and returns - I did return a pair of Saucony Kinvaras that I had had for nearly a year and rarely wore because they made my knees hurt. They gave me my money back no questions asked...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    There are NO LAME runners! There are runners! Runners at any level are awesome. Sorry, I know I am new and maybe shouldn't say anything yet, but the ONLY "LAME" runners, are those that sit on the couch or don't try. You can run around the block and be a runner. I am a turtle compared to my daughter and that is okay. We have done marathons and 5 and 10 ks. I do a 7 minutes run:1 minute walk ratio, but I am still a runner. Okay, rant over, sorry about that. Anyways, it is the 8th of February, is it too late to set a goal, or how does this challenge work? It sounds pretty awesome.

@gonnagetfitnow2014

I have been a lame runner, but I'm a lot happier now that my legs are healthy again. You really don't want to hear me whine when I'm lame. >:)

People find these threads when they find them. You can set a goal taking into account what you've already run in February, or you can set a goal for the rest of February. If you prefer to start at the beginning of the month, you can wait till the March thread opens up. It's your goal to set and track in whatever way is helpful for you.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    2/1: 3
    2/2: 5.08
    2/9: 2

10.08/60 miles

I’m so behind on runs this week. Hubby came home from 3 months overseas, and work had been busy, so running went on the backburner. I did get in 2 miles tonight. I also signed up a couple of nights ago for a 15K near me tomorrow morning. Hubby and I drove the route tonight, and he told me it looked horrible because it is rather hilly. It is NOT the “gently rolling hills” advertised. Oh well. I’m not trying to win any awards, but I would like to do better than my PR 15K time.

Don't worry about time - just have fun!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    What stinks is my Saucony Ride 10s have a lot of life left in them, but the more I run in my Altra Lone Peak 3.5 trail running shoes... the more I want to try their road shoes. The zero drop + wide toe box is a good combo for my feet.

New shoes are cheaper than new doctor bills.

Oh, but there is nothing wrong with the shoes and they are not hurting me. I just want shiny new stuff I think :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @pastorvincent and @7lenny7 - I have worn several of the Altra models. I had the early One (2) (one squared but don't know how to type that here) and loved them once I figured out the sizing which was really off. They were very fast, I mean I would go out for a run expecting to be on pace and ending up much faster and not even realizing. The only issue I had with them was they wore out really fast for a minimal shoe. I tried to buy one of the later versions of the same shoe but could never get the sizing right (too big, too small, heel slipping, etc.) and gave up on Altras altogether for a while. I tried the Torins maybe even before the Ones. They were too cushy for me but I wore them for walking around shoes for a long time and they were great. They could be slippery on wet surfaces though. Right now I am only wearing Altra Escalantes - the original version and not the newer 1.5s. The reviews on those talked about your foot slipping around in the shoe when running or feeling that way and my trainer had that exact experience. He hasn't given up on them but says they feel very strange.

I passed on the Brooks that were offered to me when I got these Saucony's because they felt like I was running on marshmallows. Way too much cushion. I am not sure what the Saucony Ride 10s are considered, probably medium cushion? But they are a bit too much cushion. It is okay, after a few hundred miles the cushion is beat into submission. :)

Based on your comments sounds like when I try the Altras I should look at the Escalantes first.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - I am interested in the Solstice but the reviews have not been great so I have held off. I think they are positioned to be between the Escalante and the Ones in cushioning.

@amymoreorless - the Oatmeal aka Matthew Inman is the genius behind Beat the Blerch comics and the so named races that are so crazy fun!

@workaholic_nurse - I think you may need some maple bacon doughnuts! https://sidecardoughnuts.com/costa-mesa/