February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I do pistol squats when brushing my teeth. I have an electric toothbrush which buzzes every 30 seconds, so I focus on one leg for the first 30 seconds, then switch.

It's a challenge to be sure, the trick is not to use water during that time - just toothpaste on the brush and keep the mouth fairly closed!!!
    And the whole being on one leg is....not easy. But it's a great stretch for my achilles.

I had to google Pistol Squats, and now I am VERY impressed with you! I think I fell over just looking at the pictures!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,995 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I had to google it too! @girlinahat I too am very impressed that you can do those at all. Doing them while brushing your teeth is very impressive, indeed!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @amirahdaboss how are your muscles doing? I had very bad knee pain which turned out to be entirely down to overtight and contractured muscles. I learned the hard way that your calves and thighs aren't actually meant to be rock solid and a sports massage every now and then during training is pretty important.
    If it really is joint pain then RICE but if it doesn't get better within a day or two I would get it checked out.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,987 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 What a little sweetie! He reminds me of a "Smokey" we used to have.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @amirahdaboss Knee pain is entirely dependent on which part of the knee is hurting. For most knee pain RICE will work along with stretching the muscles surrounding the knee and the IT band, the tendon that runs from the hip to just below the knee. A foam roller is excellent for all of these stretches.

@amymoreorless Race hangover possibly? I know that when I was training for something specific I was much more enthused(dedicated?) about getting out there to reach the goal. Afterwards, like the end of last year, I tended to want nothing to do with running. You still inspire me to push myself, even in your funk ma'am ;) ! Just my thoughts.

Little over 6 miles this morning after a grueling core circuit yesterday. Pace was much better than last week though, for the same general workout schedule. Oh well, guess running slower is really adding up for me :) .

18 miles planned for Saturday's long run. Wife wants me to do an out and back, but ooof, those hills :/ . But needs must and distance is the driver at this point. Not really following an established training plan for my upcoming trail marathon I have decided to participate in, but it seems to be working for me, as my goal for this one is simply to finish, not worried about time whatsoever.

"Mental will is a muscle that needs exercise, just like muscles of the body."--Lynn Jennings
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I planned to do 4 miles today, but I don’t think it’s gonna happen, because my left knee is throbbing when I walk, let alone run. So I’m giving it a rest today and attempting it tomorrow. That means I’ve got to rearrange my weekend so that my long run is on Sunday instead of Saturday, but whatever it takes.
    Anyone have any advice on how to deal with knee pain/soreness? Do I ice it? Any sort of stretches I should be doing?

I am no doctor and as others have said it depends completely on lots of things that we can not see from here.. but in addition to what was said above, make sure you stretch out your hamstrings. If it does not seem to be getting better with rest, rolling and GENTLE stretching, call a doctor.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »

We're at an impasse on the name. All the cats have food names, no idea how that happened... Bean, noodles, goober... This guy is beary to me. See hes Russian blue, bear- russia has iconic bears and berry cuz its food and hes so dang tiny. Dh wants to call him Sergei. So.. serbear-y?

I like Smokey myself. :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »

We're at an impasse on the name. All the cats have food names, no idea how that happened... Bean, noodles, goober... This guy is beary to me. See hes Russian blue, bear- russia has iconic bears and berry cuz its food and hes so dang tiny. Dh wants to call him Sergei. So.. serbear-y?
    Its so nice today i should be out for a run. But I'm beary sitting, thinking about how to manage the lap top to finish my psych paper (due tonight) and this tiny furry thing that needs me for comfort and warmth... Perhaps the cat heating pad will help me out. My run days are numbered- 20.

misha=bear(colloquially) in russian

I like it! I'm passing it on to dh who is now favoring Dimitri...