Athlete knocked DOWN by injuries: advice on mindset

Options
purplefizzy
purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi MFP friends.

A little background:
I was a competitive athlete and trainer years ago. Got left of center for a while (excuses included major life changes, etc) and reclaimed my athlete status mentally and physically a few years ago.
Dropped the weight, resumed training like a ninja, found myself again.
Fast forward a few years, and training (perhaps overtraining) for the NFEC 50K on a bad hamstring. Eventually fully ruptured the conjoined tendon - an unusual surgery and serious mobility restrictions.
As the universe sometimes does, it chose to reinforce the lesson. I also have a compressed nerve in the neck causing weakness in shoulder>tricep>elbow.

I’m working with a team of medical professionals and I understand that this is a long process. I can expect to start PT soon, and to spend 10 weeks relearning proper gait training (how to walk) and begin slow stretching. My hope is to return to running a year post surgery.

My question is this:
Considering I have limited lower body mobility and nerve pain that also requires rest, how do I maintain sanity and identification as an athlete?

Like so many of us, I use exercise to regulate mood, buy more room for kCals, and give me a feeling of strength and power. It’s my happy. It’s my core coping mechanism.

I’m reaching out to friends, trying to remember what things people do that don’t involve movement.

Trying to see the opportunities in this; more time to study the various ‘everything’ I’m interested in, to meditate, to ask for help. To get vulnerable.

My body is changing in a way I find scary: softer, less lean, less strong. I’m scared to spiral back into the unhealthy self I had let become my ‘normal’ for a while.

My nutrition is exceptionally focused on healing, Whole Foods. I cook almost everything from actual ingredients (sometimes I cheat and use pre-made cashew milk.) well sourced meats, vegetables, nuts. My weakness is apples- in this time of complete immobilization, it’s hard to reduce my intake to match my newly reduced kCal needs. Also, I know my body needs the good stuff to heal. Greens, collagen, protein, healthy fats.

My brain still wants to eat like an active athlete: portions for a sedentary body feel paltry and sad.

How do I wrap my brain around my new intake needs, remove the sadness from it, and fuel appropriately to heal but not in excess?

Any experience appreciated.

My thoughts so far have been to try to use this as an opportunity to get used to smaller portions (and as someone used to eating to fuel ultra endurance activities and multiple daily workouts, this is really hard.)
Meditation is helping. So is journaling, and surrounding myself with images of my favorite outdoor hikes and runs- because I will be back!!

Im also looking to try to use this as a time to challenge myself to cook lighter but still vital and nourishing meals. Sitting on my *kitten* means maybe NOT topping my soup with avocado and nuts, but instead choosing one.

I’m also trying to give myself some grace around the weight gain, and know that a few pounds up from my competition weight doesn’t mean I’ll slide back to my inactive, in-n-out eating years.

Advice, perspective, input, recipes, mindset tips- all appreciated.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    When I had a pelvic stress fracture and couldn't run, I got seriously depressed. I decided that in a situation in which I had limited control (healing time) I would focus on something I did have control over: my diet. Like you, I focused on eating healthy and limiting portion size. I lost 10 pounds. I asked the doctor what exercise I could do and was told I could do exercise bike, so I did that as often as I could. It took seven months before I was healed enough to start over. I knew from an online group on RW that I was actually lucky, since some of the people in that group had been unable to run for two years or more. Looking ahead the time seemed interminable, but it actually passed fairly quickly. I did projects that didn't involve moving a lot and that helped. It was a hard summer, but eventually I healed enough to go back to running. I had some setbacks in the following year, but two years after my injury, I was racing again and three years later I ran my first marathon.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth - I'll list my "qualifications" if you ask :) - keeping a mindset that is other people centered will cover a multitude of issues. There is always going to be someone who has been through, and worked through something worse, always.

That does not minimize your concerns, not at all, but being focused on helping other people less fortunate than yourself...the benefits are awesome and could go a long way towards helping you find what you need.

I understand that may not be what you're looking for OP, and wish you all the best. :)
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Married to an athlete who's been knocked down for months and months at a time recovering from injuries over the years. As a person with incredible focus, which helps him with basketball but could be a detriment when turned on thoughts of "what I can't do," he threw himself whole heartedly into his PT, and worked his upper body 4 times a week with the same focus when surgery on achilles, or knee/hammy issues limited lower, and vice versa. He's always come back, which is ridiculous given, now, his age and the amount of crap his body has been through (including cancer). You can do it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP friends.

<snip background>

My question is this:
    Considering I have limited lower body mobility and nerve pain that also requires rest, how do I maintain sanity and identification as an athlete?

Like so many of us, I use exercise to regulate mood, buy more room for kCals, and give me a feeling of strength and power. It’s my happy. It’s my core coping mechanism.

Have you considered some kind of coaching or personal training certification related to your sport(s) as a way to maintain idenfication with that, and sustain some of your athletic identity in a different way?

Coaching certification in my sport (rowing) was all about book learning and/or observation of coaches, not physical performance or energetic activity. A lot of it covered things I already knew, but not all, and it was a deepening kind of experience.
    I’m reaching out to friends, trying to remember what things people do that don’t involve movement.

Trying to see the opportunities in this; more time to study the various ‘everything’ I’m interested in, to meditate, to ask for help. To get vulnerable.

Meditation and reachin out sound good. Later, you mention journaling, also good.

How about taking a risk, and using this "opportunity" to learn something completely different: A craft, a visual art, a musical instrument, etc.?

My body is changing in a way I find scary: softer, less lean, less strong. I’m scared to spiral back into the unhealthy self I had let become my ‘normal’ for a while.

My nutrition is exceptionally focused on healing, Whole Foods. I cook almost everything from actual ingredients (sometimes I cheat and use pre-made cashew milk.) well sourced meats, vegetables, nuts. My weakness is apples- in this time of complete immobilization, it’s hard to reduce my intake to match my newly reduced kCal needs. Also, I know my body needs the good stuff to heal. Greens, collagen, protein, healthy fats.

My brain still wants to eat like an active athlete: portions for a sedentary body feel paltry and sad.

How do I wrap my brain around my new intake needs, remove the sadness from it, and fuel appropriately to heal but not in excess?

Any experience appreciated.

Speaking as someone who's somewhat more satiated by volume, would looking at your eating in that light help? There's a whole thread in the Food area of the forum, perennially active, aimed at volume eaters.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread

(Some of this will not appeal to you; but perhaps some will.)

My thoughts so far have been to try to use this as an opportunity to get used to smaller portions (and as someone used to eating to fuel ultra endurance activities and multiple daily workouts, this is really hard.)
    Meditation is helping. So is journaling, and surrounding myself with images of my favorite outdoor hikes and runs- because I will be back!!

Im also looking to try to use this as a time to challenge myself to cook lighter but still vital and nourishing meals. Sitting on my *kitten* means maybe NOT topping my soup with avocado and nuts, but instead choosing one.

I’m also trying to give myself some grace around the weight gain, and know that a few pounds up from my competition weight doesn’t mean I’ll slide back to my inactive, in-n-out eating years.

Advice, perspective, input, recipes, mindset tips- all appreciated.

Wishing you speedy healing, but also that your current constraints may help open up new avenues that enrich your life long-term. :flowerforyou:
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP friends.

A little background:
    I was a competitive athlete and trainer years ago. Got left of center for a while (excuses included major life changes, etc) and reclaimed my athlete status mentally and physically a few years ago.
    Dropped the weight, resumed training like a ninja, found myself again.
    Fast forward a few years, and training (perhaps overtraining) for the NFEC 50K on a bad hamstring. Eventually fully ruptured the conjoined tendon - an unusual surgery and serious mobility restrictions.
    As the universe sometimes does, it chose to reinforce the lesson. I also have a compressed nerve in the neck causing weakness in shoulder>tricep>elbow.

I’m working with a team of medical professionals and I understand that this is a long process. I can expect to start PT soon, and to spend 10 weeks relearning proper gait training (how to walk) and begin slow stretching. My hope is to return to running a year post surgery.

My question is this:

For background, I have had four major knee surgeries (two per knee) that have involved a total of 6 months of being non-weight bearing on the surgical side and very lengthy recovery times. The first surgery occurred when I was in the midst of doing base training for the upcoming cycling season.

1. I think it's really important to realize that athletes get injuries and often have to recover in really deliberate ways from those surgeries. After my first surgery (or my second?) I had the opportunity to ask Tyler Farrar in person about his experiences with recovering from injury. His response was essentially that you can't push yourself past your limit. That, of course, is really hard if you don't know where your limit is (having had so many surgeries, I know where mine is). Essentially, I seek solace in knowing that other athletes are or have been going through the same thing and try to read or listen to their struggles and triumphs. I think with my last surgery I was thinking about how much work J.R. Celski did to come back from his very major injury (the really awful thigh injury).

2. Do all of your physical therapy and do it well. Do it as if your life depends on it (while also not pushing yourself too hard). When I was non-weight bearing in the winter of 2017/2018, I did more PT than was expected of a typical patient. I didn't do anything other than the exercises that were given to me, but I did a lot of them. I was also bored out of my mind so there is that. I ended up doing so much that various phases of my PT were shortened because I had exceeded the goals so quickly (the phases were dictated by how many weeks post-op I was as well as by functional goals, with time being more important at first). And again back to the identifying as an athlete thing - my PT treated me as if I was an athlete and referred to me as such (she and my ortho have treated a number of athletes, including elite and professional ones).

3. Find another coping mechanism. I was already in therapy for a whole host of reasons and I'm not that great day to day at finding coping mechanisms that work for me (reasons why I'm in therapy...). That said, pick up a new hobby that isn't physical. You will probably get injured again and even if by some stroke of luck you don't, having a variety of coping mechanisms (and hobbies) is a good thing.

Good luck! Feel free to message me if you want me to clarify anything. I know what it's like not being allowed to walk bipedally for extended periods of time - and dealing with the atrophy that comes with that, not being allowed to run (mind you I wasn't a runner, but it was a goal) until months after my surgery (we half thought I wouldn't get there), and being seriously curtailed because of very major surgeries.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It's hard. It's frustrating. It just requires a different mindset. Set small goals and work toward those. One at a time, as you achieve a goal, build a new bigger goal. You might not be the same athlete you were but you'll find new activities and find a happy place again.

I've told my story a few times here but I will share it and hope it gives you some insight. I used to be a martial artist. I was healthy, strong, thin and happy. One day, I slipped on my basement stairs carrying a basket of laundry and broke my pelvis and tailbone, dislocated my sacral joint, and tore all the muscles in my pelvic floor. Every time thought I was making progress, something else relating to my accident would happen. 11 years and 27 surgeries later I was 90 pounds heavier with very limited mobility. I had continued to eat like an athlete without the activity.

I started by swimming because that was something I could do without pain. As my cardio vascular health began to improve and my joints slowly strengthened, I added walking. Then, I added yoga. Yoga helped me get some flexibility and balance back. I added body weight exercises. I eventually added weights. I dropped 50 pounds and felt healthy again. I was back on track. Then, I developed a frozen shoulder. One year of rehab and one surgery later, I started over. Now, here I am. I lift weights. I do yoga. I do kickboxing and Jiu Jitsu. My competition is no longer against others but against myself. A new PR on bench press, a faster 5k - those things push me to be better now. I set a goal and when I achieve it, I set a new one. Eating was the hardest part. I found for me, having some protein and fats with each meal kept me fuller longer. I experimented with different foods until I found what worked. You can do that to - it just may take some time.

Don't give up. Do what you can and reward yourself when you reach mini goals. You've got this!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good advice on this thread to the OP, so no need to repeat. My advice, based on personal experience, would be to see a therapist. 13 knee surgeries deep here. I went every other Tuesday for about 8 years. Found it very helpful. Even if we didn't speak of my lack of mobility and how that was limiting my life (because sometimes I needed a break from that) I was able to clear my mind speaking about other stuff so the knee stuff had some room up there. Best of luck!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have gotten really depressed with injuries and had 6 at one time (all from different things). I got to a point I needed something to control and go well in my life. I pulled my diet into check. Setting my calories to lose a pound a week, and making sure I ate high protein to help heal. I did PT exercises everyday. I could not lift or run, but I could use that stretchy little band.

Feel free to use this site for support. Im always happy to chat and support others!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Also, as you talk to your physical therapist go over your background and your desire to get back to past actives as soon as possible (without being stupid). Tell them you are willing to do much more than the normal rehab work (assuming you are) to get back, obviously without overdoing it. Tell him/her you want to rehab like your profession depends on. My therapists in the past have told me the typical patient doesn't adhere to the rehab schedule very well so it is typically "dummied down" to get more adherence. You may not have the time to rehab as if your profession depended on it due to actual time you have to spend with family, work, etc but the closer you can get to that the better.
  • wearefab
    wearefab Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you fill up mainly on veg salad and fruit then you won't have a problem food wise. Don't worry about overeating apples. I get where you are coming from but the most important thing is to relax your mind so don't worry about it.
    As you use exercise for stress relief you need new stress relief.
    Deep breathing and meditation are spot on.
    Don't worry about body changes. You came back once you will do it again.
    As much as possible fill your life with friends and comedy. Anything relaxing whether it be listening to music , podcasts, puzzles, knitting, drinking coffee whilst doing a course on futurelearn or Harvardedx or udemy.
    If you keep worrying it won't help so your best bet is to keep accepting that your body will change, but the smart compassionate determined loving soul inside is exactly the same.
    Go well ☺