Athlete knocked DOWN by injuries: advice on mindset

Options
2»

Replies

• Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Someone touched on small victories. I would add to look at it as almost an investment plan or 401k, the little we do today, will pay off bigger in the future.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    A lot of good comments with better advice than I could offer! I just wanted to add that during my recovery from a knee injury last year, while I was unable to run, I hung out in the monthly self-care challenge thread on the challenge sub-forum of MFP. Considering taking care of myself as a radical challenge, at a time when I wasn't up to my usual physical challenges, helped me keep my sanity and keep moving forward instead of sliding back into my old, unfit habits.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Also, as you talk to your physical therapist go over your background and your desire to get back to past actives as soon as possible (without being stupid). Tell them you are willing to do much more than the normal rehab work (assuming you are) to get back, obviously without overdoing it. Tell him/her you want to rehab like your profession depends on. My therapists in the past have told me the typical patient doesn't adhere to the rehab schedule very well so it is typically "dummied down" to get more adherence. You may not have the time to rehab as if your profession depended on it due to actual time you have to spend with family, work, etc but the closer you can get to that the better.
    I'd like to second this.

OP, I haven't had anything on the scale of what you've had, but I've had minor issues that necessitated a bit of time off and a sports therapist's input to resolve. I particularly remember the lovely sports therapist commenting that she could tell I had actually done the prescribed exercises. I just stared at her in mute confusion, before eventually saying, "well, er, yeah?"

Apparently most people don't. She said she wished she could use me to demonstrate to her other patients that there was a point to doing them!

• jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Your an Athlete when you do the exercise for rehab don't go overboard with the exercise's. A good time to learn meditation and start classes but being a athlete you would have been doing meditation classes already, Look after you health try and find things you can do " with my knee injury i was focus on my recovery for years and it has not recovered yet" good luck to you
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Your an Athlete when you do the exercise for rehab don't go overboard with the exercise's. A good time to learn meditation and start classes but being a athlete you would have been doing meditation classes already, Look after you health try and find things you can do " with my knee injury i was focus on my recovery for years and it has not recovered yet" good luck to you

Being an athlete doesn't mean meditating or taking classes...it doesn't even mean not over training or working, unhealthily, through injury. I don't think it's smart to overtrain and I think it's even less smart to push through injury, but that doesn't make one any less of an athlete.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Zombie 🧟‍♀️ thread resurrection.

I heard so much good stuff, when I needed it.

The recap:

I again find myself hobbled by an assortment of physical issues.
    After the hamstring reattachment & neck surgery, I really dedicated myself to the PT, and came back swinging. Maybe too swing-y; I completed the North Face 50K 10 months after surgery… was again fighting-fit, and after a particularly high-mileage spat in early 2020 and a series of injuries… haven’t really been able to run properly in just over a year.

I’m heavier than I’m comfortable with, but still ‘normal person active.’ I walk a ton, hike regularly. I moved to a pretty remote area of Hawaii, and the exploring is great but I am having a hard time dedicating myself to really doing the strength, agility & balance work I know I need to do if I want to be a lifetime performance athlete.
    Basically, I’m being a toddler. When I can’t run, I get pissy and all of the other things (that I mostly do to be able to run happily) fall aside slowly. Quite frankly I’m out of the in-person fitness communities that kept my head in the game, even over streaming workouts… and I really relied on that energy - as it turns out.
    I’m not looking for workout suggestions, it’s not a lack of knowledge or lack of access (I have a home gym, an ancient but functional spin bike, etc.)

I’m struggling more with remembering what it felt like to be agile, energetic, strong. Maybe I need to be called on my excuses, but I’m not sure that’s it.
    I do know each new physical phase has its own challenges, it’s own rewards. I’m really struggling with accepting that I can’t train at the intensity that I used to - the string of injuries proves that. So I stall at any consistent training, because I ‘can’t do it the way I want to.’

I’m ready to get over myself, surrender to training smarter, and STOP getting hurt because I have overdone it, yet again.

I’d love to hear how y’all approach transitions as athletes. What keeps your head in the game? How do you get excited when facing limitations due to injury or just facing an age-related need to be more measured??

Thanks I’m advance for any updated wisdom.

~fizz
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    You know--this is really a great thread and very useful for those of us who are not athletes. There are thought provoking comments that I'm feeling to the bone. I'll be 67 next week and just aging and exercising, and trying to push enough, but not too much, is a delicate balance. I've also been really sick for over 2 weeks with a constant cough and mucus and head pain, and weariness (no it's not COVID-- per my doctor).

I just keep slogging through because that's the way I am, but loved the posts and they give me inspiration. Thanks for resurrecting it OP.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    (snippity)

I’d love to hear how y’all approach transitions as athletes. What keeps your head in the game? How do you get excited when facing limitations due to injury or just facing an age-related need to be more measured??

(snippity)

I admit, I only have a fuzzy picture of what's going on with you. I hope you're not trying to pick up where you left off? IME, that's tempting, but waaay doesn't work.

I've never been a performance athlete like you, let's just get that out of the way. I have trained fairly seriously at times, but I was a late bloomer (mid/late 40s) and that's a different development path. I've been fairly active for around 20 years now. (I'm 66.) Athletic performance per se is not part of my core identity in the way it sounds like it maybe has been for you.

What I've found as I've aged - so far - is that I can pretty much do what I've always done or want to do, eventually, if I set my mind to it (except things limited by actual physical body limitations). (However, I don't have a past specific peak standard of performance I yearn to return to, in the way you may. At 20-something or 30-something, I wasn't an athlete.)

For me, the difference with increasing age is that generally I'm not as resilient. That means I need to be as intentional and structured as possible about load, volume, recovery, etc.

I de-train faster, so I want to avoid injury in order to avoid de-training. I regain capabilities a little slower. I need to ramp up gradually, if I do have to take a break (surgical recovery or whatever). Always, I need to plan in body-systems-specific recovery, and general fatigue recovery, in a much more conscious way.

Running a training plan used to be about scheduling workouts (in terms of mindshare). Now, if I want to actually train, it's more like I need to schedule workouts and recoveries. (They always needed to be in the plan, of course, they just didn't need to be quite so *considered*. I'm not talking a different thought process, more like a slightly different flavor . . . a little more shrewd, wily, canny, maybe?)

I think I have a conceptual advantage, in that I've been a middle-aged, overweight/obese, totally out of shape person, very physically depleted (especially right after cancer treatment). It's been quite a few years, but I do have some actual memory. I don't want to be that person again: It's just not nearly as pleasant . . . and I like pleasure. The older I get, the more I recognize how easy it could be to slide back too far in that direction. Mustn't.

The effect is that I don't really think in terms of being excited about progress as a motivation to work out (though some progress will come, with the right effort/plan). It's the swamp horror in the opposite direction, plus the pure enjoyment of what I still do, that's motivation enough to do something(s).

Another thing I think about aging specifically, is that with any luck we know ourselves better, what our strengths, preferences, skills, limitations are - not just physical things, but emotional, intellectual, and more. There's an opportunity to take advantage of our self-insights, harness those things, and game our inclinations to our own benefit, maybe.

Mostly, I'm not training training now, TBH. It's not because I can't, it's because I'm just not feeling it, in terms of where I personally want my overall life balance. I'm still active, I still care about technical improvement in my sport and work at it (that's part of what "keeps my head in the game" because it's part of what makes it fun). But I'm not "training" (like running any kind of structured, periodized plan that sharpens for the Michigan Games/Michigan Club Invitational or Masters Nationals or whatever).

As I said before (upthread), helping others - new participants - come along in my sport is also a positive for me to keep going, and (when I have the chance) helping inactive others my age discover that in many cases, it's our own or others' low expectations that limit us, more than we're limited by true physical inability.

You may be - I dunno - at the point where you (recently/now/soon) shift from being "an athlete" to "an age group athlete". I don't have any experience with that. I've only ever been "an age group athlete". No comment at all on that transition.

Hoping you can find your way through the transition you need, to the right overall happy life balance for you.

P.S. I think there are quite a few athletes here on MFP who'd have good perspectives on working through rehabs, life phases, transitions. What I don't know is whether they'll react to this particular thread title.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    (snippity)

(snippity)

**so many important and nuanced points**

Another thing I think about aging specifically, is that with any luck we know ourselves better, what our strengths, preferences, skills, limitations are - not just physical things, but emotional, intellectual, and more. There's an opportunity to take advantage of our self-insights, harness those things, and game our inclinations to our own benefit, maybe.

Ann, blowing my mind with the various levels of insight and really applicable framing. Thank you so much for the time. This is really helpful.

You nailed it, on the core identity part. I have had phases where I was terrifically inactive in sporting terms, and got quite heavy - but much of my life, and the best times, have been really active. I see my feet as a really great way to explore the world, and the gym has been both a source of income, community, sanity - so absolutely. I am pretty lost when I can’t move with the ease and power that feels like ‘me at most me.’

Service - knowledge sharing and support - has been really fulfilling. I needed this reminder - that sometimes it’s not about my own growth, it’s about watching someone else progress and coaching and sharing in their wins.

Admittedly- I do still aspire to run at distance again. To train intensely. But having returned and then regressed (again!) I’m most focused on being able to explore and not be limited by my body, and by explore I do realize that the paths I seek are pretty rugged.

Yes, so much yes, to both knowing ourselves- and to how much more pleasant - and FUN - it is to be in the trained/healthy/optimized-for-US zone.
    The fluffy things (clothes shopping being fun! Full closet viability!), the daily things (skipping easily down the stairs, racing the elevator and winning) and the sport-specific things (the joy of a weekend or vacation spent on the trails, without being hobbled from it.) These I can and will keep front and center.

I’m also aiming for a reframing of the active recovery things (foam rolling, stretching, the not that exciting PT drills) as a win, not a warmup.

Thank you thank you. ❤️