Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

More people need to get educated on weight loss surgery.

Replies

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Unfortunately the friends and neighbors I know who had WLS admit to having it because they didn't want to try on their own. One asked how I lost weight, I told her my program, she said it was too much, then she had surgery. Another said she was just tired of trying so she had surgery. It seems so easy to obtain now. At my heaviest I was told to gain more weight and then I needed co- morbid conditions, not just sick and tired of being obese.
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Unfortunately the friends and neighbors I know who had WLS admit to having it because they didn't want to try on their own. One asked how I lost weight, I told her my program, she said it was too much, then she had surgery. Another said she was just tired of trying so she had surgery. It seems so easy to obtain now. At my heaviest I was told to gain more weight and then I needed co- morbid conditions, not just sick and tired of being obese.

Wow, they must have been in for a ride awakening when they had surgery and realized that it's hard, it's not the easy way out, and takes a whole lot of work and trying on their part.

Some people go into surgery looking for the easy way out because the perception is just that. I feel sorry for those people because they are not prepared for the hard work ahead, they have no clue what they are getting into. I hope your friends were able to figure it out after surgery.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    I think if someone is considering getting the surgery, or has a loved one considering it, then yes. They should become as educated on it as possible. I have no intention of ever getting this surgery, nor do I believe I would ever need it, and I have no loved ones interested in it. So, for that reason, I have no intention of becoming more educated on the procedure beyond the education I currently have.
  • wildrosejmj
    wildrosejmj Posts: 26 Member
    I have a good friend who had the bypass operation and, ever since, has had to deal with gallbladder and liver problems. She had gall stones, so she had her gall bladder removed, and now gets liver stones. She has a stent in her liver to help it drain but it gets clogged so, ever 3 months, she has to have surgery. It's been terrible. No one told her about all the potential complications until after she had the surgery. I know this doesn't happen to everyone, but it seems like most people I know who have had WLS, if you talk to them long enough, had some pretty major complications they weren't anticipating.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    edited September 2018
    I know four people who have had WLS.

First person looks skeletal and frail now so obviously suffers from some side effects.

Second person has regained after two years.

Third person didnt really need WLS to begin with and is now painfully thin and frail also.

Fourth person is looking good one year later hopefully they can sustain.

• janbunz
    janbunz Posts: 2 Member
    It's easy for one to say if they are not in need of the surgery. I know several people who had many obese related health conditions and needed to have the surgery. Most of these people are living right, taking less medications, eating right and happy not to mention are running circles around me at the gym. There will always be those that fail at it... about 30% but most likely those folks did not have the right "team of doctors" on board. Now days that team of doctors even include having a pharmacist and a nut. I do know they were educated on the facts and had long classes to attend and had to be approved by each doctor on the team. They have support groups twice a month and have a line into the nut Dr. in the event they are having issues.....I say if it's for their health then go for it....... Why do so many people have face lifts?? boob jobs?? ...etc... That is not health related it is??
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    janbunz wrote: »
    It's easy for one to say if they are not in need of the surgery. I know several people who had many obese related health conditions and needed to have the surgery. Most of these people are living right, taking less medications, eating right and happy not to mention are running circles around me at the gym. There will always be those that fail at it... about 30% but most likely those folks did not have the right "team of doctors" on board. Now days that team of doctors even include having a pharmacist and a nut. I do know they were educated on the facts and had long classes to attend and had to be approved by each doctor on the team. They have support groups twice a month and have a line into the nut Dr. in the event they are having issues.....I say if it's for their health then go for it....... Why do so many people have face lifts?? boob jobs?? ...etc... That is not health related it is??

What is a nut/nut Dr.?

I think when push comes to shove, most people who are not considering weight loss surgery don't need to be any more educated about it than people who need to be educated on an ACL repair or using deep brain stimulation to help manage epilepsy. There are many other health literacy related topics that are far more important for your average person to have at least a baseline level of knowledge about.

I’m assuming a psychiatrist or psychologist
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    janbunz wrote: »

What is a nut/nut Dr.?

I think when push comes to shove, most people who are not considering weight loss surgery don't need to be any more educated about it than people who need to be educated on an ACL repair or using deep brain stimulation to help manage epilepsy. There are many other health literacy related topics that are far more important for your average person to have at least a baseline level of knowledge about.

I thought it was short for nutritionist.
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't need to be educated about it because I'm not interested in it and wouldn't need it for myself, and I could give a rats *kitten* what other people do.

This.

Hearing OP say more people need to be educated about weight loss surgery is like me saying more people need to be educated about grammar. I'm a *kitten* English teacher, so of course I feel that way.

Tell my why I need to be educated in this surgery?
    so that you can perform the procedure on me. And also teach me how to conjugate verbs.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

Both of those would make sense, but I'm hoping for the nutritionist option. If it's the former, then a whole other conversation needs to take place with regards to health education.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    I have known 3 people personally who got the surgery. 2 of them have kept the weight off past a few years, 1 put it back on pretty quickly after the first year.

But I have no problems with people who do or don't want to do it. It is a very personal decision, and you're right that they go through a lot before even being considered for the surgery. I DO think it is a great option for some people, while others might not need it. I would never judge someone for making that choice for themselves though. That's rude.

Like any "diet" or exercise program or just about anything else with weight loss, it is always going to be a personal decision, and there will always be someone who is against it.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member

Both of those would make sense, but I'm hoping for the nutritionist option. If it's the former, then a whole other conversation needs to take place with regards to health education.
    Agreed. Calling people who need psychological support nuts is not acceptable.

Speaks to how naive I am that I didn't even realise it might not be short for nutritionist, though.
  • aokoye

Agreed. Calling people who need psychological support nuts is not acceptable.

Speaks to how naive I am that I didn't even realise it might not be short for nutritionist, though.

Yeah I definitely didn't guess nutritionist as I've never seen it abbreviated and I've never heard or read "nutritionist doctor". I suppose that makes sense given the difference between a nutritionist and a dietitian. That said, I am used to people saying pejorative things about mental illness (overterly and not) which is why my mind was able to quickly go there but was wanting to give the poster the benefit of the doubt.
  • aokoye
    What the above post also really points out to me is that people need to be educated about any non-emergency surgery that they are having beforehand. That isn't unique to WLS. I've had I think 8 surgeries, 9 if I include the emergency(ish) wash out of a hematoma that was a recipe for infection.

Outside of the washout, the only one that didn't involve a considerable amount of patient education without me asking was a wrist surgery to repair de quervain tenosynovitis. I think people need to realize that all surgeries have risks and that that shouldn't be taken lightly (being under general anesthesia is an inherent risk - though not all surgery involves general anesthesia).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2019
    I think you could be ignoring the fact the sometimes the surgery is more necessary than not unfortunately.

The surgery has risks that are well known short and long term, but sometimes the risks of surgery and immediate potential to drop weight quickly will out weigh possibly staying the same weight that is either extremely high risk or more than likely current health conditions that could very well cost the patient their life.

It's the lesser of two risks in many cases of people and you have no clue what they are dealing with outside of just being overweight.