Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

More people need to get educated on weight loss surgery.

1235»

Replies

• lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    I am one of who is against the surgery. After surgery you need also to take care of your food if not then you may gain weight again. Actually, I know some people who did weight loss surgery and they did not keep their food good, they gain weight and become worse than before.

That of course is not the same for everyone. I am an exception....😉
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Listen people. You have to work just as hard if or when you have WLS. I guarantee you that . I had the RNY in December 2017. I "stopped" using my tool appropriately for the last 6 months in 2018 and didnt lose a pound. So now I am back on track following my doctors instructions and I am losing weight. It works if you work it like they tell the drunks. So it is definitely NOT the easy way out or else I would have lost weight regardless of what I did. And also for the so called smart people who think they know something, I was always 140 then gained 120 pounds AFTER I had my twins. I tried losing the weight the traditional way and could not do it. I was not overeating or eating late or doing any of the fat people behaviors. WLS is a tool just like someone said a personal trainer is or a prepared food delivery service is...Finallly, Dont Hate...Its all good people!....😁

Lee

RNY would actually change your absorption. If you ate and moved the exact same as someone who was otherwise your twin, you'd lose more weight. Though ultimately, if you didn't lose weight before the surgery, it was because you were either
    1. Not eating in a calorie deficit, i.e,, not increasing activity or reducing intake.
    2. An anomaly the likes never seen before in nutrition and physics.

There is a place for weight loss surgery as a tool for some people. I do worry about the ability of it to be a tool for the rates of obesity being seen globally.
  • lleeann2001
    Listen people. You have to work just as hard if or when you have WLS. I guarantee you that . I had the RNY in December 2017. I "stopped" using my tool appropriately for the last 6 months in 2018 and didnt lose a pound. So now I am back on track following my doctors instructions and I am losing weight. It works if you work it like they tell the drunks. So it is definitely NOT the easy way out or else I would have lost weight regardless of what I did. And also for the so called smart people who think they know something, I was always 140 then gained 120 pounds AFTER I had my twins. I tried losing the weight the traditional way and could not do it. I was not overeating or eating late or doing any of the fat people behaviors. WLS is a tool just like someone said a personal trainer is or a prepared food delivery service is...Finallly, Dont Hate...Its all good people!....😁

Lee

RNY would actually change your absorption. If you ate and moved the exact same as someone who was otherwise your twin, you'd lose more weight. Though ultimately, if you didn't lose weight before the surgery, it was because you were either
    1. Not eating in a calorie deficit, i.e,, not increasing activity or reducing intake.

There is a place for weight loss surgery as a tool for some people. I do worry about the ability of it to be a tool for the rates of obesity being seen globally.

True that!
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member

Lee

True that!

I think you may have missed the point...It is true, but it also contradicts your previous post.
  • lleeann2001
    what is YOUR POINT? TO PROVE ME WRONG? jesus Christ you people. all im trying to do is,avoid confrontations. they are stupid.
  • lleeann2001
    what i stated was true IN MY CASE!!
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    what is YOUR POINT? TO PROVE ME WRONG? jesus Christ you people. all im trying to do is,avoid confrontations. they are stupid.

This is the Debate section of the forum, so things are bit more 'frisky' down here.

You should see us debate diet soda :D
  • lleeann2001
    lol. no worries..😀
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    Educating yourself about nutrition is not enough to lose weight. There are things like "do you recognize hunger and/or fullness cues?" "do you know what your macros should be?" "do you have a plan in place for when your mind tells you to eat and your body goes along saying oh yeah!!" weight loss surgery is it's own kind of hard and can help those who need it kick start a healthy lifestyle. If a person has not had a healthy lifestyle for many many reasons, it is a lifesaving opportunity to start over. The "slow and steady" learning process is not for everyone, and for many who are obese there is often a feeling of why bother? WLS is only a TOOL, not a get out of obeseland free card. for those that choose that road, kudos to you for taking the initiative for improving your health.
  • KLWelty
    KLWelty Posts: 103 Member
    It's not just the reduction of volume the stomach will hold, but in the case of gastric bypass, it affects absorption, and also the hormonal reset in the gut. Those hormonal communications between your stomach and brain can wreak havoc on the calories in / calories out and significantly reduce a person's chances of success no matter how much work they put in. I was not losing weight before surgery, but I had pristine blood work due to my efforts. It's hard to believe when calories in and calories out work for you, but for some people, their bodies at some point just refuse to budge. There probably are people getting surgery who do not need it. There are people who will not comply and will regain. There are others for whom it saves their life or who will do the work and truly get benefit. For those who say they do not need educated because they are not considering it.....you miss the point. Someone in your life at some point just might need it, and your understanding will mean the world to them in terms of support. Just be aware when you make assumptions, that you do not know any single person's medical history. It's a decision between them and their health provider Don't want it? Don't have it. Someone else has it? Be supportive or just don't comment. It always goes back to kindergarten....."If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    My own personal experience and opinion:

I am superobese (BMI = 46), and have been for several years. Medical factors influencing (and influenced by) this are Fibromyalgia/CFS and clinical depression. I have tried CICO in combination with healthy eating and exercise, many times, and have lost varying amounts of weight that I have subsequently gained back.

I was at a routine check-up a few years ago. As always, my GP and I discussed my weight, its current impacts on my health, and the risk of future weight-related complications. He had always been very tactful about this and that was one the reasons I liked him.

Then, as I was about to walk out the door and seemingly out of the clear blue sky, he asked if I had ever considered weight loss surgery.

I was shocked at his abruptness, and at the sudden implication that I was that superobese, but I just said that I hadn't. He said that I would probably be eligible and gave me a brochure.

So I looked into it.

I'm on Medicare, which requires a period (6 to 12 weeks or so, I don't remember exactly) of medically supervised diet, exercise, and counseling before the surgery; and another period of the same afterwards.

This surprised me. WLS only works for weight loss when combined with medically supervised diet, exercise, and counseling? What potential weight loss method is there that doesn't work at least as well as any other when combined with medically supervised diet, exercise, and counseling? Drinking cayenne-pepper lemonade, piercing that special place on your ear, or just carrying a rock in your pocket would all work reasonably well when combined with medically supervised diet, exercise, and counseling.

I also read up on the surgery itself, its long term success rate, and its potential complications; and decided that it wasn't for me. Intellectually, I don't think its risks would outweigh the benefits in my case; and it also makes me uncomfortable at a level that is, quite literally, visceral.

That's me, myself, personally; and my conclusions and - so to speak - gut feelings. I have no judgement for anyone else contemplating or choosing this surgery: it's your body and your decision.

The thing that really *kitten*s me off is that I would very much like to participate in a period of medically supervised diet, exercise, and counseling to help with my weight loss. It would be a godsend to me, and I am sure it would help my weight loss efforts a great deal. But it's not available to Medicare patients unless they have the surgery.

You get 6 to 12 weeks of supervision before the surgery. Do this, and then change your mind about the surgery.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,871 Member
    I don't think I need to know anything about it. I'm not gonna do it. My kids aren't gonna do it. I don't think you should do it. That's all I need to know.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,387 Member
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    I don't think I need to know anything about it. I'm not gonna do it. My kids aren't gonna do it. I don't think you should do it. That's all I need to know.

How come you know your kids are not gonna do it? Provided they're still children they will be adults with an own mind, own idea of how to live and own way to deal with setbacks.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,871 Member
    My grandkids are grown. One of my kids is slightly underweight. The other is not, but definitely not a candidate for wls, and definitely not interested.