Less Alcohol - February 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• gladys0919
    gladys0919 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    gladys0919 wrote: »
    I see alot of folks here talking about replacing the alcohol with bitters etc. It never dawned on me that its the flavor that is craved. HONESTLY for ME personally, i just want the BUZZ, i want that lull - now that i type this, it even sounds ridiculous to want to be in a lull - lol I dont much care for the taste of a lot of stuff. Aside from a good beer, a nice wine alcohol truly doesnt taste like vanilla ice cream lol.

What are your personal reasons for drinking aside from the dependency? Taste? the feeling? etc

Probably was the feeling for the most part, but that was because i believed a lot of lies that were in my brain....i've battled with intrusive and ruminating thoughts for about 18 years....and i thought the thoughts were true and the only way to escape was drinking to the point of being buzzed so i could bear myself enough to sleep.

However, i now know that i don't need alcohol to rest because i know these thoughts aren't at all me...but just a way to bring dread and torment. I can't explain the joy i have knowing that i don't need alcohol, but i can drink it because i want a drink now because i just want to , and not feel like it's a self-medicating thing.

Now, its more taste. I live beside two breweries (no joke)...and today i'm gonna treat myself to a couple of IPA's.

Thanks for posting the question!

I am glad you are in the place you are in today! Good for you.
    OH MY A BREWERY! I would be a loyal customer LOL
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,554 Member
    Options
    gladys0919 wrote: »
    I see alot of folks here talking about replacing the alcohol with bitters etc. It never dawned on me that its the flavor that is craved. HONESTLY for ME personally, i just want the BUZZ, i want that lull - now that i type this, it even sounds ridiculous to want to be in a lull - lol I dont much care for the taste of a lot of stuff. Aside from a good beer, a nice wine alcohol truly doesnt taste like vanilla ice cream lol.

What are your personal reasons for drinking aside from the dependency? Taste? the feeling? etc

Well, it is the taste for me. I pretty much like every kind of booze in every incarnation. Fancy cocktails, wine, brandy, spiked coffee, liquers...
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    Goal: 4AF days per week. It is a short month.

February 1 - 3 drinks
    February 2 - AF
    February 3 - 3 drinks - Superbowl was boring this year. I have to rack up some AF days!
    February 4 - AF
    February 5 - AF
    February 6 - AF
    February 7 - 3 drinks
    February 8 - AF, but was planning on some champagne in the bubble bath. I had such a nice dinner that I didn't have any calories left for champagne - heavy whipping cream chicken pesto with linguine. Lots of calories, but all within my range for the day.
    February 9 - AF
    February 10 - 3 drinks
    February 11 - AF
    February 12 - AF
    February 13 - 3 drinks
    February 14 - AF
    February 15 - AF - Mulled wine at my house tomorrow, in between the snowmobile events, bands and fireworks. (We will be out standing in the snow, the streets are closed for the event). The mulled wine will simmer all day. Really looking forward to some wintery fun and the smell that my house will take on from the cinnamon and cloves, oranges, port and wine. I like that I have known about it for weeks and am happy to have racked up AF days this month. If I don't feel well Sunday morning I will just stay in bed.
    February 16 - Mulled wine over the course of 8 hours. Kept it topped up every time we came back to my house out of the snow in between events. I actually am not sure how much I had. It was delicious. I don't mind having mulled wine once a year. There is a bunch left over though...
    February 17 - 1/2 of a Caesar out at dinner, then 3 drinks later. Plus I ate a bunch of the strained oranges out of the leftover mulled wine lol. 2 glasses of that left, planning to drink them on Wednesday, put it in the fridge. It has been a really fun BC family day weekend. I do feel good to be moderating. I still feel like having drinks every day, but just don't anymore.
    February 18 - AF
    February 19 - AF
    February 20 - AF
    February 21
    February 22 - planned night out
    February 23
    February 24
    February 25
    February 26
    February 27
    February 28

Running tab: 13 AF days out of 20 days - need at least 3 more AF days to hit my goal for the month.
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    February accountability ~20 days so far
    No Alcohol: 12 days
    Alcohol: 8 days (16 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month

You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. - John C. Maxwell
    Including the last few days of January to monitor my weekly goal which I surpassed!
    Jan 28 - AF
    Jan 29 - AF ! Yeah me! Dining Out group.
    Jan 30 - AF Office celebration mexican restaurant without margaritas
    Jan 31 - Planned 2 but kept to 1 glass wine! Celebrating retirement from company after 30 years
    Feb 1 - AF
    Feb 2 - AF Brunch without mimosas
    Feb 3 - AF

Hit my target of 4 AF days per week again! This is getting easier. It is all about balancing my life choices.
    Feb 4 - AF
    Feb 5 - AF - I wanted a bottle of wine but we didn’t buy it.
    Feb 6 - AF - DH wanted a bottle of wine but we passed.
    Feb 7 - Bunco: 2 glasses wine (planned for 1 but poured myself a 2nd out of habit)
    Feb 8 - 2 glasses wine
    Feb 9 - AF
    Feb 10 - AF

Not a good week. Only 2 AF days when the target it 4 for the week. But I’m still good for achieving the monthly goal. And the previous 2 weeks I was 5-6 AF days each week. The camp is definitely a challenge!
    Feb 11 - AF
    Feb 12 - AF
    Feb 13 - 3 glasses wine. DD moving day. DD’s thank you for us caring for their dog for 3 days while they packed and then helping with the move all day … was wine, pizza & Randazzo’s king cake. DH & my first date Feb 13 seems like a zillion years ago.
    Note: Challenging weekend ahead (next 4 nights). Usually I have 3-5 drinks per night at the fishing camp. Plus my sister will be there and she brought bottles of wine. Plan 1 drink per evening.
    Feb 14 - 2 beers sunset at the fishing camp this weekend
    Feb 15 - 1 glass of wine with Mom's 82nd birthday dinner
    Feb 16 - 1 beer
    Feb 17 - 2 beer

Feb 18 - 3 glasses of wine. Bookclub: Turned out the hostess had a company come in and do a surprise wine tasting session.
    Feb 19 - AF
    Feb 20 - AF - Bookclub & annual physical
    Feb 21 - Alumnae Meeting called For the Love of Wine & Girl Scout Cookies … this pairing tasting could be a real challenge!
    Feb 22 -
    Feb 23 -
    Feb 24 -
  • marcvb35
    marcvb35 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    2/18 first day of less could be today.

25 years of binge drinking, almost every day, short term goal is to drink only one-half gallon a week. long term goal is less than a 1/5th and only drink on the weekend.

today’s plan. Don't buy a bottle. only have a couple at the local tavern along with dinner.

2/18 -- walked into the bar with a plan of having 5 whiskey and water with my wife. food service was fast, and wife decided to stay home. 4 drinks and 2 giant burgers and I headed home without a bottle in my hand. thought I was tired 4 hours later and went to bed, nope not going to sleep well. stomach cramps and mind racing did get a little sleep.

2/19 - tummy still aching, eyes still puffy. made it to work on time, not sure what todays plan is. maybe too soon for AF as I have read about some pretty bad health problems from cold turkey, including death. see you tomorrow to finish this story. good luck all and thanks for the support!

2/20 – good morning, I made a decision before the end of the work day to drink more then 2/18 – I asked my wife to help me help us by helping me which could help me help everyone , I wrote up a plan, printed it , and picked up a half gallon (normally 2 days provisions) and showed her the plan. She filled the flask and hid the bottle from me, I have a detailed taper off plan for the next 2 weeks and I do not want to fail like last week.

2/21 – I stuck to the plan but I think the 10oz flask is a little to big. Might have to switch to smaller portion. I cooked a nice dinner to celebrate 26th anniversary.
  • mabelsdaddy
    mabelsdaddy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    2/1: 3 drinks
    2/2: AF
    2/3: 1 drink
    2/4: AF
    2/5: AF
    2/6: 1 Beer.
    2/7: 6 beers, 2 shots and frustration
    2/8: AF
    2/9: Um, went to a rock concert...so too much to count :)
    2/10: AF
    2/11: 2 beers
    2/12: AF
    2/13: AF
    2/14: a 6 pack basically.
    2/15: AF
    2/16: AF
    2/17: 2 beers.
    2/18: AF
    2/19: AF
    2/20: 5 beers and 3 shots. I'm okay with this. But woke up buzzed, LOL. This is the exception, not the norm now so i'm okay with this!
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options
    nvasquez41 wrote: »
    Valentines day week was a little tricky for me and I ended up drinking 3 times throughout the week. I only had a couple each time and I was proud of myself for that. One of the days I woke up and was slowly opening my eyes, dreading the hangover and wondering how bad the headache and anxiety would be. I was so thankful when I remembered that I only had a couple drinks and I didn't have to expect a hangover.

It's been a few days into this week and I have been AF.

Good for you for keeping it to a minimum!!
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options

February 1 - 3 drinks
    February 2 - AF
    February 3 - 3 drinks - Superbowl was boring this year. I have to rack up some AF days!
    February 4 - AF
    February 5 - AF
    February 6 - AF
    February 7 - 3 drinks
    February 8 - AF, but was planning on some champagne in the bubble bath. I had such a nice dinner that I didn't have any calories left for champagne - heavy whipping cream chicken pesto with linguine. Lots of calories, but all within my range for the day.
    February 9 - AF
    February 10 - 3 drinks
    February 11 - AF
    February 12 - AF
    February 13 - 3 drinks
    February 14 - AF
    February 15 - AF - Mulled wine at my house tomorrow, in between the snowmobile events, bands and fireworks. (We will be out standing in the snow, the streets are closed for the event). The mulled wine will simmer all day. Really looking forward to some wintery fun and the smell that my house will take on from the cinnamon and cloves, oranges, port and wine. I like that I have known about it for weeks and am happy to have racked up AF days this month. If I don't feel well Sunday morning I will just stay in bed.
    February 16 - Mulled wine over the course of 8 hours. Kept it topped up every time we came back to my house out of the snow in between events. I actually am not sure how much I had. It was delicious. I don't mind having mulled wine once a year. There is a bunch left over though...
    February 17 - 1/2 of a Caesar out at dinner, then 3 drinks later. Plus I ate a bunch of the strained oranges out of the leftover mulled wine lol. 2 glasses of that left, planning to drink them on Wednesday, put it in the fridge. It has been a really fun BC family day weekend. I do feel good to be moderating. I still feel like having drinks every day, but just don't anymore.
    February 18 - AF
    February 19 - AF
    February 20 - AF
    February 21
    February 23
    February 24
    February 25
    February 26
    February 27
    February 28

Running tab: 13 AF days out of 20 days - need at least 3 more AF days to hit my goal for the month.

3 days in a row! Great job!!
  • marcvb35
    Options
    I have a question???

if your daily calorie goal was established with an allowance for alcohol should you eat back the calories on days you drink less or are AF? this is not a joke, I am serious
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options

February 1 - 3 drinks
    February 2 - AF
    February 4 - AF
    February 5 - AF
    February 6 - AF
    February 7 - 3 drinks
    February 9 - AF
    February 10 - 3 drinks
    February 11 - AF
    February 12 - AF
    February 13 - 3 drinks
    February 14 - AF
    February 18 - AF
    February 19 - AF
    February 20 - AF
    February 21 - AF
    February 23
    February 24
    February 25
    February 26
    February 27
    February 28

Running tab: 14 AF days out of 21 days - need at least 2 more AF days to hit my goal for the month. Having a goal helps so much.
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    marcvb35 wrote: »
    I have a question???

if your daily calorie goal was established with an allowance for alcohol should you eat back the calories on days you drink less or are AF? this is not a joke, I am serious

@marcvb35 Yes, that's one of the great things about being AF. You get to eat food in place of the alcohol calories!
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options
    @FeelinFooFoo your stories are so inspiring!! And encouraging
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    February accountability ~21 days so far
    No Alcohol: 12 days
    Alcohol: 9 days (18 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month

You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. - John C. Maxwell
    Including the last few days of January to monitor my weekly goal which I surpassed!
    Jan 28 - AF
    Jan 29 - AF ! Yeah me! Dining Out group.
    Jan 30 - AF Office celebration mexican restaurant without margaritas
    Jan 31 - Planned 2 but kept to 1 glass wine! Celebrating retirement from company after 30 years
    Feb 1 - AF
    Feb 2 - AF Brunch without mimosas
    Feb 3 - AF

Hit my target of 4 AF days per week again! This is getting easier. It is all about balancing my life choices.
    Feb 4 - AF
    Feb 5 - AF - I wanted a bottle of wine but we didn’t buy it.
    Feb 6 - AF - DH wanted a bottle of wine but we passed.
    Feb 7 - Bunco: 2 glasses wine (planned for 1 but poured myself a 2nd out of habit)
    Feb 8 - 2 glasses wine
    Feb 9 - AF
    Feb 10 - AF

Not a good week. Only 2 AF days when the target it 4 for the week. But I’m still good for achieving the monthly goal. And the previous 2 weeks I was 5-6 AF days each week. The camp is definitely a challenge!
    Feb 11 - AF
    Feb 12 - AF
    Feb 13 - 3 glasses wine. DD moving day. DD’s thank you for us caring for their dog for 3 days while they packed and then helping with the move all day … was wine, pizza & Randazzo’s king cake. DH & my first date Feb 13 seems like a zillion years ago.
    Note: Challenging weekend ahead (next 4 nights). Usually I have 3-5 drinks per night at the fishing camp. Plus my sister will be there and she brought bottles of wine. Plan 1 drink per evening.
    Feb 14 - 2 beers sunset at the fishing camp this weekend
    Feb 15 - 1 glass of wine with Mom's 82nd birthday dinner
    Feb 16 - 1 beer
    Feb 17 - 2 beer

Feb 18 - 3 glasses of wine. Bookclub: Turned out the hostess had a company come in and do a surprise wine tasting session.
    Feb 19 - AF
    Feb 20 - AF Bookclub & annual physical
    Feb 21 - 2 glasses of wine - Alumnae Meeting called For the Love of Wine & Girl Scout Cookies … this pairing tasting could be a real challenge!
    Feb 22 -
    Feb 23 -
    Feb 24 -
  • marcvb35
    Options

25 years of binge drinking, almost every day, short term goal is to drink only one-half gallon a week. long term goal is less than a 1/5th and only drink on the weekend.

today’s plan. Don't buy a bottle. only have a couple at the local tavern along with dinner.

2/18 -- walked into the bar with a plan of having 5 whiskey and water with my wife. food service was fast, and wife decided to stay home. 4 drinks and 2 giant burgers and I headed home without a bottle in my hand. thought I was tired 4 hours later and went to bed, nope not going to sleep well. stomach cramps and mind racing did get a little sleep.

2/19 - tummy still aching, eyes still puffy. made it to work on time, not sure what todays plan is. maybe too soon for AF as I have read about some pretty bad health problems from cold turkey, including death. see you tomorrow to finish this story. good luck all and thanks for the support!

2/20 – good morning, I made a decision before the end of the work day to drink more then 2/18 – I asked my wife to help me help us by helping me which could help me help everyone , I wrote up a plan, printed it , and picked up a half gallon (normally 2 days provisions) and showed her the plan. She filled the flask and hid the bottle from me, I have a detailed taper off plan for the next 2 weeks and I do not want to fail like last week.
    2/21 – I stuck to the plan but I think the 10oz flask is a little to big. Might have to switch to smaller portion. I cooked a nice dinner to celebrate 26th anniversary.

2/22 – banquet with unexpected open bar and all my fishing buddies. Lets not talk about it.
  • gladys0919
    gladys0919 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    marcvb35 wrote: »

2/22 – banquet with unexpected open bar and all my fishing buddies. Lets not talk about it.

LOL at least you are honest- keep trying!