Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is anyone confused?

Options

Replies

• FitFamilyGuy
    FitFamilyGuy Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @fitfamilyguy I'm really having trouble understanding your post or what your point is at this point. But I'll go back to my original post - being able to vet sources. "Science" isn't defined by one study, or the most recent study. It is constantly doubling back, taking one study which leads to several other studies, which lead to dozens of studies, continuing to drill down, pin down variables, correct inaccurate assumptions. THAT is the scientific method. The problem is the average consumer isn't educated enough about the scientific method, and so when their trainer shows them a study that "proves" that his diet or workout program is the best, they think they should believe it because "science". The best charlatans are the ones that can misuse science and confuse their marks.

I have talked to far too many bodybuilders/trainers who looked amazing and didn't know *kitten* about biology or science to assume that someone with a great physique would give good advice. Said that I should eat 1200 cals, or I had to IF to maximize fat loss, or I had to use little pink weights because I was a girl, or I had to use the fat burners that they could give me a discount on. Sorry.

Fair enough. I liked your "*kitten*" comment. Funny.

Again, nothing is perfect. The bodybuilder in your example is likely doing something right but again nothing is perfect. I wouldn't follow that guy either. But the other side of that is the intellectual that can't figure out why their science based approach to fitness won't get them the fit body they constantly work on. I've met plenty of them too. Again, I think it comes down to multiple ways of learning. No need to apologize. Were you insulting me? :)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

The "we" in this thread will be quick to list off all of the reasons why real world results form individuals is a problem so I don't need to do that here. They exist. I get it. There are problems learning from one guys results.

These reasons have been outlined multiple times for you and yet you continue to propose that it is optimal to get our information from these individuals.

Can you list off any of these reasons?

Now, forget about "fit guy". What about a bodybuilder? Can't we look at what a bodybuilder generally does, recognize that they are pretty darn good at building muscle and burning fat and learn from that? You don't have to want to be a bodybuilder to learn from the principles and apply some or all of them to replicate some results. You can also talk to one bodybuilder to find out what he does and then learn from that.

Following your answer to the above, can you apply all those reasons to why “we” really don’t hold value on this as a research method?
  • InsertFunnyUsernameHere
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling there's a sales pitch coming?

That was my first thought too, but I was willing to give OP the benefit of the doubt and not respond snarkily....

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I'm just throwing this line of thought out there because I can't help but think there's been a massive breakdown between who is discussing research, who is discussing science (a moment on that one please) and who is discussing how we learn and what from. I'm addressing this strictly from an "end user" PoV so to speak.

I know my view is simplistic (overly) but at the moment, until I learn more, it works for me.

To me, research is what a body does in order to find out how something works, by using scientific methodology.

The scientific results gained from that research are what lead to a change in behavior (learning) and are in a constant state of flux due to variables being added or removed.

What I do and/or change...or do not do, is a direct result of how that application works for me. The example I'll use is the study of and discussions about concentric and eccentric motion. Bicep curls. Both concentric and eccentric motion work for me, but concentric causes pain, eccentric does not.

I need treatment for that tendonitus that is based upon medical research, the results of which are taught to doctors so they can tell me why, and properly treat it.

I do not need (won't accept because I don't like pain) someone telling that xyz worked for them without any understanding that xyz may cause further damage.

I also need and will listen to someone with the proper education who can help me do what I would like to based on my particular variables or, possibly, advise me to get it fixed before attempting any other routines with that arm. This is why I go to men and women who have that proper training and have learned to apply it in real world situations.

We all know biceps curls strengthen/build biceps. But what can a person tell me about my biceps in particular and why there's pain when I try to exercise them? Is it skeletal/musculature/tendon? I need to know that.

The supplements are another matter entirely for me as I just do not take any other than protein. I have seen (we all have) some crazy pitches before, but that's past for me today.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Information is great but it really amazes me just how much information and debate complicates some very simple concepts about fitness.

Cardio, Muscle, Burn Fat, Weight Loss, Keto, Atkens, High Carb, Calories In Calories Out, Low Carb, Low Fat, HITT, Low Intensity cardio, Steroids, High Intensity cardio, Sugar, Supplements, Protein, Macros, Micros, Weights, Body Weight, Fitness Gadgets, Functional Training, Food Points... Wow!

No kidding people fail to burn fat and keep a lean healthy weight. Wow!

Do we not have pretty good real world examples of what does and does not work for most people?... there are always exceptions and people do vary but in 2019, can't we point to examples of real world strategies that tend to result in lean, fit people from easy to follow principles?

I can understand people feeling confused about how to go about pursuing weight loss. It can seem like a daunting and overwhelming task when you first set out to pursue a goal. I think the key thing is to take it one day, one small step at a time. "Rome wasn't built in a day" and weight loss doesn't just happen overnight. We need to reprogram our thinking and the way we live our lives if we want to make lasting positive changes.

On some level, we have a general idea of what we should do to lose weight: eat better, exercise, drink water and get enough rest. But there's a fine line between knowledge and action. We know what we SHOULD do, we just have to do it. And there's no magic fix, you just have to experiment a bit and see what works for your body and lifestyle. That's why so many different diets exist in the first place- "different strokes for different folks", so-to-speak. It's a matter of personal research, trial and error.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Something else is kind of gnawing at me a little.

You haven’t told us what your miracle methods are. I’m assuming that’s available for purchase somewhere.

Regardless.

According to your profile, you’re 41. As you’ve mentioned more times than I can count, you’ve been doing this same thing for 26 years.

So...you’ve been doing the exact same thing during a period of your life when your body was still growing to adult size, when it was thriving with peak levels of testosterone and other hormones, and now as you begin to age some. You’ve not made a single change as you’ve gone through these stages?

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    B
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Of course my friend. Some specifics are not allowed. I can't condense my theories onto a paragraph because there is often too much to cover and often I would be accused of self promotion, I'd be censored and banned. This post is more about a general philosophies. I mentioned this before, as open as a forum is, there are governing bodies that limit and control how the information flows. I get why this happens but it is still a reality. I do sometimes wonder how many times I answer to an actual user versus a moderators account. That is part of life online. :)

I don't understand this.

Myself, I eat a wide variety of foods keeping a deficit each day, do 3 full body workouts per week and cardio/abs 2-3 times per week. My exercise plan is based on AthleanX Ax1 and Ax2.

That's a very small paragraph and I'm fairly certain it is within forum guidlines. What am I missing?

The difference is you’re not selling something.

It's sounding that way.