February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    See now here's the definition of Tempo Run I've been using, from Hal Higdon:
    Tempo Runs: A tempo run is a continuous run with a buildup in the middle to near 10-K race pace. Notice I said “near” 10-K race pace. Coach Jack Daniels defines the peak pace for tempo runs as the pace you might run if racing flat-out for about an hour. That’s fairly fast, particularly if the tempo run is 45 minutes long, but you’re only going to be near peak pace for 3-6 minutes in the middle of the run. In the Advanced 1 programs, tempo runs also are scheduled for Thursdays. Here’s how to do this workout. A tempo run of 30 to 40 minutes would begin with 10-15 minutes easy running, then gradually accelerate while building to peak speed during the next 10-20 minutes, then finish with 5-10 minutes easy running. The pace buildup should be gradual, not sudden, with peak speed coming about two-thirds into the workout and only for a few minutes. You can do tempo runs almost anywhere: on the road, on trails or even on a track. Tempo runs should not be punishing. You should finish refreshed, which will happen if you don’t push the pace too hard or too long. It helps also to pick a scenic course for your tempo runs. You can do your tempo run with another runner, but usually it works better to run solo. There’s less danger of going too slow or (more the problem) too fast if you choose his pace, not yours.
    https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/advanced-1-marathon/
    But I searched and found the term used the way y'all described it too... so I don't know. What would you call the run Higdon is describing?
  • Butterchop
    Butterchop Posts: 203 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Still a day left in February, but I don't think I'll run tomorrow. So I added an extra 2km after my interval run tonight, which brings me to 100.4km. At least that looks less depressing than 98.4 would have been.
    The only two months in the past year I ran less were March 18 (similar reasons as this month) and June 18 (vacation). Especially the first half of the month was bad. It's not that I didn't run, but when I ran my runs were quite short. The first week had temperatures oscillating around freezing coupled with lots of rain/snow = either slushy slippery snow mess or icy frozen mess outside, and after a few kilometres I was just mentally exhausted from trying not to fall. The following week was crazy at work, with too little sleep and working half the nights to prepare a presentation. Followed by a few days thanks to food poisoning - not something I ever have to repeat...

The first two weeks lead me to seriously rethink my training plan and if I would be ready for a marathon in April or May. Conclusion: I could maybe get to the point where I could finish, but I realised I don't really *want* to run another marathon. The first one was to see if I could do it, the second one to improve my time and get below 4:30. But I think this year I would much rather try to get faster in half marathons!
    Or maybe something completely different. One of my friends is doing a Spartan race in June and is trying to talk me into signing up as well. We wouldn't be running together (he's super fast, strong, and competitive, and I am none of these), but we could travel there together. The idea is tempting, but the list of obstacles is scary, and for each one you fail you have to do 30 burpees! :D

Has anyone here done a Spartan race before?

--
    February summary
    15x running (100.4km)
    9x strength training
    3x skiing
    2x cycling (36.9 km)
    0x climbing (will hopefully change tomorrow)
    112 burpees, 203 "coffee table" pushups - planning to move on to real pushups in March!

I have not done a Spartan but I work with a guy who does them. His wife wanted to do one with him last year. She does not exercise and did not train at all so couldnt do most of the stuff. They said the people in charge just told her to do the best she could with the burpees and if she could only do 10 then fine. But they started with the groups and were not competing at all so ymmv.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    See now here's the definition of Tempo Run I've been using, from Hal Higdon:
    Tempo Runs: A tempo run is a continuous run with a buildup in the middle to near 10-K race pace. Notice I said “near” 10-K race pace. Coach Jack Daniels defines the peak pace for tempo runs as the pace you might run if racing flat-out for about an hour. That’s fairly fast, particularly if the tempo run is 45 minutes long, but you’re only going to be near peak pace for 3-6 minutes in the middle of the run. In the Advanced 1 programs, tempo runs also are scheduled for Thursdays. Here’s how to do this workout. A tempo run of 30 to 40 minutes would begin with 10-15 minutes easy running, then gradually accelerate while building to peak speed during the next 10-20 minutes, then finish with 5-10 minutes easy running. The pace buildup should be gradual, not sudden, with peak speed coming about two-thirds into the workout and only for a few minutes. You can do tempo runs almost anywhere: on the road, on trails or even on a track. Tempo runs should not be punishing. You should finish refreshed, which will happen if you don’t push the pace too hard or too long. It helps also to pick a scenic course for your tempo runs. You can do your tempo run with another runner, but usually it works better to run solo. There’s less danger of going too slow or (more the problem) too fast if you choose his pace, not yours.
    https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/advanced-1-marathon/
    But I searched and found the term used the way y'all described it too... so I don't know. What would you call the run Higdon is describing?

@polskagirl01

The quote you found is a good definition of what I know as T pace. This is not surprising, because the system of R, I, T, MP, and E comes from Jack Daniels. (Repetition, Interval, Threshold/Tempo, Marathon Pace, and Easy, from fastest to slowest.) I don't do tempo runs by the protocol described in the link. I'm more likely to run a 2 mile warmup, have some variable period of standing around, then run the tempo run. Last time I did it that way was, um, last Saturday where I targeted T pace for the last Freezeroo race.

More commonly, I'll run intervals at T place as part of a structured workout. They can be as short as 800m or as long as 4 miles, depending on what the workout is and what it's supposed to accomplish.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I had a minute so I created the March thread. Ready, set, go.... set your goals!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10729832/march-2019-monthly-running-challenge/p1?new=1

Thanks.
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq thank you for your well wishes, I definitely need them.
    @Elise4270 I’m looking into booking an appointment with a physical therapist later this week, thank you for the suggestion. Depending on how often they need to see me, I may or may not be able to afford the massages.
    @rheddmobile I’m starting to think the knee pain is related to a form problem. I switched to the old shoes again and the hip pain went away so I’m going to have to sell them(lost the receipt and box and I don’t think dicks sporting goods has a great return policy). Hopefully I’ve caught this problem before it stops me from being able to run my half.
    @eleanorhawkins thank you! I go nuts when I’m unable to run for more than 3-4 days, and I’d hate to be out of commission for weeks and start from scratch. I’m definitely dragging my *kitten* to the physical therapist ASAP.