simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Dupe post!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @scott6255 Yikes. Were you carrying a water bottle? Did you have gloves?

Wasn't carrying anything. Had warm lined gloves. Didn't really happen until I got inside. I think it is caused by a sudden change in temperature.

Yes, I knew I have Raynaud's. Sometimes it is worse than others.

I have Reynaud's as well, so that photo looks all too familiar. There isn't too much documented information on the causes (other than that I have a known auto-immune disorder), but I do believe that sudden core temperature changes seem to have a huge effect for me as well. It doesn't seem to have as much to do with what I have on my hands, as much as being able to keep my core temperature balanced. When it's cold, a nice, tight base layer is essential. I have found that putting on a dry, very tight fitting shirt after my run seems to help a lot with the after effects. In the summertime, I wear a jacket in the grocery store to prevent it from happening.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    Thanks @lporter229. I will keep that in mind.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman Happy birthday!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman Happy birthday!

Thanks!!!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat and @PastorVincent That's exactly what I'm scared off about the Spartan race: not the running, but the upper body strength :D
    I go climbing every now and then, plus some strength training with dumbbells, but I still cannot do a single pull-up! I think I will have to start carrying some of these resistance band loop elastics with me when I go running, so that I can stop in the park at the pull-up bar there and try some assisted pull-ups at least. Still a bit of time until June...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat and @PastorVincent That's exactly what I'm scared off about the Spartan race: not the running, but the upper body strength :D
    I go climbing every now and then, plus some strength training with dumbbells, but I still cannot do a single pull-up! I think I will have to start carrying some of these resistance band loop elastics with me when I go running, so that I can stop in the park at the pull-up bar there and try some assisted pull-ups at least. Still a bit of time until June...

depending on the height of the bar you can do negatives and not need to carry the extra gear.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    39 miles / 50 miles

I have 6 miles on tap for today and 3 for Thursday so I'm going to fall a little short of my goal. Considering how crazy this month has been, I'm pretty happy with my total.

@MobyCarp You probably answered this, and I can't find the post, but how do you "accidentally" run a marathon?

You sign up on 6 weeks' notice, based on peer pressure and finding one hotel room one mile from the start/finish area, having previously intended to run your first marathon 16 months later. That's what I did, with no pressure other than never having run the full marathon distance before and my running buddy telling me the only way I wouldn't BQ would be if I didn't finish. (He was right. To date, my marathon record is 6 starts, 5 BQs and 1 DNF.)

Alternatively, it would be possible to sign up for a half that coincides with a full, and go the wrong direction where the half and full courses diverge. I didn't do that, though I have seen a case of a kid accidentally running a half marathon instead of a 5K that way.

Priceless!! And I would be the one missing the turn.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

@_nikkiwolf_ I am signed up for a Spartan race a week from tomorrow. So, assuming that I continue to feel fine and go ahead with it, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm not feeling very confident about it at this point. I spent a lot of time working on upper body the last few months but not specifically practicing obstacles. I really don't want to spend all day doing burpees. I'm pretty sure there are several obstacles I won't be able to do though. I'm just hoping it will be fun overall, my team is supposed to be in it for fun and supporting each other...we'll see.

Obviously, I can not speak for the specific humans you will be with but I have found that the obstacle race community is just as friendly and helpful as the trail race one and more friendly than the road racing one (not that they are bad but this is a comparison here). Complete strangers help each other all the time on them. Unlike road races, very very few are in it for making time, so stopping to help each other does not impact them at all.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options

Obviously, I can not speak for the specific humans you will be with but I have found that the obstacle race community is just as friendly and helpful as the trail race one and more friendly than the road racing one (not that they are bad but this is a comparison here). Complete strangers help each other all the time on them. Unlike road races, very very few are in it for making time, so stopping to help each other does not impact them at all.

Thanks - that's what I'm hoping for. My team has not really coalesced and I don't even know exactly who all is on it. But I know some of them and I'm sure we'll be looking out for each other. I get the impression the obstacle race people are very friendly - a little crazy but friendly.