Women in their 40s!

Options

Replies

• azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I thought there was a light at the end of the tunnel but that turned out to be a train. The play was over on Saturday and it was awesome all of the kids did such a great job. Then Sunday night my daughter spikes a fever and a trip to urgent care confirmed she was positive for influenza A. I spent the last 2 days dealing with fevers, vomiting and sore throats. Now I’m feeling all of same symptoms.

@wearefab I had my thyroid tested and it was normal. I’ll have to look back over the years to see if it’s stable or there are any changes.
  • kenkel4
    kenkel4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    LisaJV wrote: »
    Hi, I’m currently at 178lbs and needing/wanting to lose about 28lbs, but tbh I’d be happy with half that for a start! I know I don’t get enough exercise- I’m at work all day and can’t stand gyms! And I need to cut down on my wine intake! Anyone out there in a similar boat? I could do with an accountabilibuddy! I’m also on Fitbit, so some step challenges would be good!

• kenkel4
    kenkel4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Well, I am pretty tech savvy, but this app confuses me. I would love to have tons of new friends, but I can’t figure out how to add people so please add me. 😊
  • caryfornia
    caryfornia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have A LOT to lose... it was so easy in 20-30yrs... ughhhhh! Darn these 40’s! Add me!
  • enlightenme456
    enlightenme456 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    41 years old here, back on MFP for what seems like the 10th time starting from scratch. Determined to lose at least 50lbs. Even though I’ve been on here many times, I usually did it for the food tracking and reading the success stories so I’m new with the whole commenting and adding people; I wish everyone good luck on their journeys!
  • winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    caryfornia wrote: »
    I have A LOT to lose... it was so easy in 20-30yrs... ughhhhh! Darn these 40’s! Add me!

I completely understand this!!
  • winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    OCDOD wrote: »
    It just kills me how many calories are in wine... sigh.

We are soul sisters! I was just complaining about this lol!
  • Steffie782000
    Steffie782000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have attempted to add friends, I hope it works :)
  • Steffie782000
    Steffie782000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yeah it worked, I think :)

I too am looking for the accountability and having that accountability is, I think, where I will succeed. I am giving myself short term goals, as in month to month. I have 2nd level track and Field coaching clinic at the end of the month, I want to feel like I belong when I go, have the endurance and fitness level to match. My exercise program consists of track practices, coaching and training, LIIFT4 HIIT Lifting Program from Beach Body and walk/run for endurance build up. Where I fail is my diet and water intake, So far I have had 3 days of awesome water intake and I feel like a million bucks. I have been keeping to my calorie level too. One question, do you guys eat back your exercise calories or no?
    being 40 is so much harder to do things but I am not wanting to let that get the best of me, i look forward to talking with you all and encouraging one another.
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Yeah it worked, I think :)

One question, do you guys eat back your exercise calories or no?
    being 40 is so much harder to do things but I am not wanting to let that get the best of me, i look forward to talking with you all and encouraging one another.

If you do choose to eat back exercise calories, be aware that fitness bands tend to overinflate, if not greatly overinflate calorie burns. If you eat back all of your exercise calories, you'll probably be eating too much.

I try not to eat mine back, but I don't have huge burns like some people do. If I've had a particularly active day, I may eat back 100 or so of them, but not much more.

But it's up to you and listening to your body. If you feel very hungry on a day when you've worked out, you probably need to refuel. There are threads in the forums, and articles in MFP about the subject, if you feel like reading up on it.
  • dblst10
    dblst10 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ok I might be able to get on the bandwagon again. I eat too crazily in the afternoons so I’ll do water and an Atkins shake (my first!) to do a better job with evenings. I do love almonds and water.
  • buxbert
    buxbert Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This week didn't go so well, I ate a lot and didn't care. There are too many things on my mind now but maybe realizing that my food intake is something I actually can control - when there is so much I cannot - will help to stay strong. Cross fingers...
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    winodini wrote: »
    OCDOD wrote: »
    It just kills me how many calories are in wine... sigh.

We are soul sisters! I was just complaining about this lol!

ME TOO! It's what's holding me back (besides my age) I'm convinced!
  • springsweet
    edited March 2019
    Options
    kenkel4 wrote: »
    Me! I started in Jan 2018 at 179. I am now at 134. It’s totally worth it so keep going.

That's awesome! How did you do it?

To those of you who keep coming back, I'm with you on that. I keep coming back hoping this week will be better. I'm so sick of carrying around this extra weight. So sick of hating what I see in the mirror. So sick of the random pains I'm experience which have no explanation (neck, back, ankles).
    Is it really possible to lose weight without starving ourselves + running our bodies into the ground exercising?
  • shortyjmorgan1
    shortyjmorgan1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    kenkel4 wrote: »
    Me! I started in Jan 2018 at 179. I am now at 134. It’s totally worth it so keep going.

That's awesome! How did you do it?

To those of you who keep coming back, I'm with you on that. I keep coming back hoping this week will be better. I'm so sick of carrying around this extra weight. So sick of hating what I see in the mirror. So sick of the random pains I'm experience which have no explanation (neck, back, ankles).
    Is it really possible to lose weight without starving ourselves + running our bodies into the ground exercising?

It is possible but remember it will not happen overnight. It takes time.
  • springsweet
    Options
    So I have a question - and I'm not looking for solutions to my ailments here. I'm wondering if I'm correct in my assumption that my extra weight is causing these ailments...
    I experience daily neck, back and ankle (just one ankle) pain on a daily basis. I've been to doctors trying to figure out what's causing it. I've paid hundreds of dollars for good pillows for my neck. I've gotten massaged $$, I take CBD oil daily, pop ibuprofen when it hurts too bad to endure (hate that), etc... Yet I keep coming back to the same possible reason - I am 50 lbs overweight. Could that be causing all this body pain I didn't used to have? Have any of you experienced the same?
    I feel like a hypochondriac and it sucks. I hate feeling this way at age 43. :(
  • shortyjmorgan1
    shortyjmorgan1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So I have a question - and I'm not looking for solutions to my ailments here. I'm wondering if I'm correct in my assumption that my extra weight is causing these ailments...
    I experience daily neck, back and ankle (just one ankle) pain on a daily basis. I've been to doctors trying to figure out what's causing it. I've paid hundreds of dollars for good pillows for my neck. I've gotten massaged $$, I take CBD oil daily, pop ibuprofen when it hurts too bad to endure (hate that), etc... Yet I keep coming back to the same possible reason - I am 50 lbs overweight. Could that be causing all this body pain I didn't used to have? Have any of you experienced the same?

I am about 40lbs overweight and have really bad knees. I went to see my orthopedic surgeon and see what I could do. He is an old military man and told me that the only way to get the damn pain to lessen and get where I didn't hurt all the time was to get the weight off and exercise more. He also told me to find the motivation and do it. He is a little cranky but always honest with me. The extra weight causes strain on joints that are weak points in our body: back, ankle, hip, and knees tend to suffer the most from the extra weight. Just take it one day at a time and get moving. Hope this helps.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Sadly, I can say that getting the weight off may not help the neck pain. I think it has more to do with posture and how you carry your stress. I have a desk job and all my tension goes to my neck. I've been working really hard to fix my posture and stand more during the day. Massages and stretching help. I had one point where it was so bad all the time I could barely sleep. I went to a chiropractor that does ultrasound and he did ultrasound and massage on my neck everyday for a week. It was so much better after that. I've never gotten to that point again thankfully.