Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling much better; though I still have a nasty cough, it's not as bad or frequent, and I feel better overall. Still experiencing shortness of breath. My oldest sister is on her way from MN, & will be here today. Currently she's in Denton TX RV-ing on an alpaca farm! She is enjoying the temperature change from MN. She should be here by 4, God willing! We're supposed to be going to an RV rally in Rusk TX today, not sure if we'll make it. I wish being sick automatically translated to losing weight, but even though I haven't eaten much ( usually less than 1100 calories) I haven't been able to work out either. Oh well, I just have to be patient right?
    Tracy
    TX
  • bigblueeyes1
    bigblueeyes1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. First time on this thread. I weighed myself yesterday and couldn't believe the number. In just 11/2 months, I've gained 10 lbs! What the H**L??? How does that even happen?! Anyways....I absolutely need to lose the weight. I have a Disney World trip planned for November and there is no way I'm going to be able to walk around and enjoy myself unless I get some of this weight off. To get to a "Normal" weight for my height, I need to lose 140lbs. Just typing that number out hurts and makes me feel so depressed.

I read that Thursdays are Truth - The truth is...I don't want to have to watch my portions or exercise. But I know I NEED to.
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. First time on this thread. I weighed myself yesterday and couldn't believe the number. In just 11/2 months, I've gained 10 lbs! What the H**L??? How does that even happen?! Anyways....I absolutely need to lose the weight. I have a Disney World trip planned for November and there is no way I'm going to be able to walk around and enjoy myself unless I get some of this weight off. To get to a "Normal" weight for my height, I need to lose 140lbs. Just typing that number out hurts and makes me feel so depressed.

I read that Thursdays are Truth - The truth is...I don't want to have to watch my portions or exercise. But I know I NEED to.

Welcome!
    We have all hit that wake-up moment!

My best advice is start doing some diligent research on food and health and fasting and exercise that you can find on netflix, amazon prime and youtube. You will be surprized at how having some real and compelling research makes losing the weight easier!

My first most inspiring movie was “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". Entertaining as well as informational.
    Knives over Forks also gives some great information but there are dozens of new legit food and health documentaries that will inspire you and help you find a successful track to run on.

Also, Dr Fung and Dr Berg on youtube give you relevant medical information that is very easy to listen to but also fascinating.

• Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi everyone. What are your calorie goals? My day starts at 1200 - I often go over a little - if I exercise I can keep it close. Just curious as to your calorie goals.

I try to stay strictly below 1200.
    Easier to do with salads and finding a substitute dressing option that makes you happy.
    I try not to eat my exercise calories at all but it has been more difficult after losing 50lbs.
    The plateaus have been broken by tightening up that calorie ceiling and adding extra workouts.

If my calories ever do push above that mark, I add exercise to keep my calorie deficit at least at 500.
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    @GOINSTD12 yes no choice but be patient... glad you are feeling better though.

@bigblueeyes1 we all been where you are ... day by day, step by step ... at some point you are going to need to exercise because your body “asks” for it ... you won’t even question it and the same with food you will not need to watch portions because you would have gotten used to it eating less and healthier.

I agree with @Teerai you need to do your research and find what works for you.

And also do not compare your weight loss journey to anyone else’s!!!!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @sweeetypie1 -- I started with a 500 calorie deficit which I think gave me about 1400 calories/day net intake. I always ate back exercise calories and steadily lost weight. As my weight went down, so did my allowance, and I found it hard to maintain such a low goal (about 1200/day) even in the summer when I had plenty of time to exercise and earn back some calories. It just wasn't enough fuel for my body--I would get hungry and binge or stubbornly stick with it and feel weak and unwell. I'm a firm believer in treating food as fuel, and I can't work out hard if I don't have enough fuel to burn. I know some people do well not eating back exercise calories, but that's just not for me.

After years of experimentation, I've found that I feel better and can lose weight if I maintain between 1400-1600 net calories, so I have my goal set at 1500. The hard part is sticking to that goal when life gets busy and I'm eating on the go or miss trips to the store to get healthy foods. That's why I've been maintaining for the past few years rather than losing more weight.

@tracy-- glad you are feeling better!

@bigblueeyes1 -- welcome to the thread!! Yes, it's amazing how just a short time off plan can result in weight gain. That's why I weigh myself every day--it's hard to ignore the number on the scale; plus, research shows that people who are at a healthy weight or who maintain weight loss are more likely to weigh themselves daily. As far as the big number, set some mini goals--it's amazing how much better you feel after losing just 10 or 20 pounds!

@Teerai -- I agree wholeheartedly about doing some research. When I decided to lose weight, I did a ton of research on nutrition and different approaches and it really helped me focus and make smart lifestyle changes. Likewise, when I started running, I read all sorts of articles about the topic to learn breathing techniques, training methods, etc.--so much I knew nothing about, and it made such a difference in helping me stick with it. Instead of giving up when I got a side stitch, I tried the breathing method I read about. Or if I was struggling to increase my pace, I would research information to get past the hurdle. :)

@happygirlxxx -- Yes, it's so nice that the snow and ice has melted! I don't get downtown much during the school year, but when I'm off for the summer, I go to a lot of city festivals. I also still have quite a few friends who live on the North and Northwest sides. A good friend opened a store in Andersonville last October, so I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time there helping him out this summer. Iceland has been a bucket list destination for about 10 years now, so I decided it would be my 50th birthday present to myself. A group of 10 or us, including both of my sisters, are going together--I'm so excited, but I want to be in my best shape possible to really enjoy all of the outdoor activities.

AFM-- This week was pretty good nutrition-wise despite being pretty busy at work. Struggling to hold the plank past a minute, but I will just keep at it.

Tomorrow we dye the Chicago River green!! Hope everyone has a great St. Patrick's weekend!

Name: Karen
    Height: 5’7"
    Highest Weight: 247
    Current Weight: 203 (1/19/19)

1/19/19 = 203
    1/26/19 = 201
    2/1/19 = 203
    2/9/19 = 203
    2/17/19 = 201
    2/23/19 = 200
    3/2/19 = 200
    3/9/19 = 200
  • happygirlxxx
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound what a great way to celebrate your 50th birthday! My husband is turning 50 this year as well so we are thinking of organizing a trip ... not sure where yet, but somewhere to relax and enjoy some warm weather for sure!!

I live close to Navy Pier, so if you ever want to meet to walk the lake front let me know ... specially now that the weather is improving is really nice ... today that is sunny is such a beautiful view.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @happygirlxxx -- Yes, it would be fun to meet up some time! I met another Chicago area friend on this thread several years ago, but he lives way down in the south suburbs, so every year we meet halfway in Itasca to do a 5k together.

AFM-- I had a really low-key weekend. Hubby made corned beef and cabbage, but that was the extent of our festivities. Back to work tomorrow, but at least there's only one more week until I'm on Spring Break. :smiley:

1/19/19 = 203
    1/26/19 = 201
    2/1/19 = 203
    2/9/19 = 203
    2/17/19 = 201
    2/23/19 = 200
    3/2/19 = 200
    3/9/19 = 200
    3/16/19 = 199
  • raindogmaa
    raindogmaa Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It was so nice to log in and see all the new messages! I have been busy and dealing with very slow plateau with a little bit of movement in the right direction.

@sweeetypie1 - I try and do between 1100 and 1200 each day. I'm maybe 50% successful at keeping it under.

@happygirlxxx -- Its so darn nice to have you posting again! I have always been inspired by your thoughts and strategies! Chicago.... brrrrrrrr. I am in sunny (and now partially rainy) Southern California. It's starting to get nice again so I plan to do more walking and hiking.... can't wait!

@skinnyjeanzbound - Yay! Welcome to Onederland!!!!!! I have been rooting for you. I came out to Chicago once when they dyed the river green. It was a HOT St. Paddy's day... we were all melting because we dressed for cold weather.

@GOINSTD12 - So glad you are feeling better!

Welcome to all the newcomers!!!!

Name: Cyndy
    Height: 5’3"
    Highest Weight: (Oct 15, 2004) 250
    Re-Start Weight (Sept 1, 2018): 221
    Goal Weight (June 7, 2019) 165

Jan 22 191
    Jan 28 189.5
    Feb 4 190.0
    Feb 13 190.2
    Feb 18 187.4
    Feb 25 187.3
    Mar 19 185.8

Week (+/-) = -1.5
    Since Re-Start = 35.2
    Since First start = 64.2
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @cyndy-- glad to see you are back! Thanks--I lived in Onderland for a few years and only recently ventured up into the 200s, so it's nice to see a number that starts with a one on the scale again (at least most days :wink:). Hoping to move back into the 180s as that is where most of my clothes will fit comfortably.

AFM--just a quick check-in to say hi. It's been a decent week for nutrition up until today. We had a taco pot luck for lunch at work, and I didn't even try to log. Honestly, I don't think it would've been too bad if it weren't for the conchas and churros. Tomorrow will be better.

1/19/19 = 203
    1/26/19 = 201
    2/1/19 = 203
    2/9/19 = 203
    2/17/19 = 201
    2/23/19 = 200
    3/2/19 = 200
    3/9/19 = 200
    3/16/19 = 199
  • happygirlxxx
    Options
    Hi All .... it’s been a crazy week at work ... thought would be easy but when I think I can take a break something else pops up .... but have been trying to log and move as much as possible ... I am walking back from work everyday so at least it’s something.

@raindogmaa thanks for the warm welcome back! I am looking forward to posting more and contributing to the group.

@skinnyjeanzbound congrats on onederland! Taco pot luck yum!!! Churros I love ... Where I am from we had them filled with dulce de leche and then you dip them in fudge ... the bomb! That will be my treat when I lose some more weight :smile:
    And yes let’s meet some time ... last year I went to NYC and met one of the people at MPF, was really nice.

Ok better get ready for work if not will miss my bus ... have a great day everyone!
  • sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Trying something new - intermittent fasting. I'm doing 16:8 - so basically I don't eat anything after 6 in the evening and then don't eat until 10am in the morning. I'm still doing my 1200 calories - only eat them between 10 and 6. A lot of people already eat this way - my husband for one. I've always wanted a good breakfast right when I wake up, so waiting is something new and it hasn't been difficult. I hoping this jump starts my weight loss. We'll see when I weigh in tomorrow, but only started Tuesday, so my hopes are high yet - next week will be a better judge on how it is working.
  • sweeetypie1
    Options
    Name: Diane
    Highest Weight: 264
    Start Weight (Jan 1 2019): 253.3

Jan 7 -251.3
    Feb 6 - 251.2
    Feb 22 - 249.2
    Mar 15 - 250.2
    March 22 - 249

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @diane-- good luck with the IF. I know a lot of people who've had great success with it. During the work week, I tend to naturally eat within about a 10 hour window and it's much easier for me to stay within my calorie goal on those days. Even if you find it's not sustainable for you in the long run, just switching up your eating schedule for a few weeks can really help jump start the scale. While I'm on break this week, I'm going to try to go very high protein and low carb just to switch things up for my body.

@happygirlxxx -- I also met a couple of MFP friends in NYC to run the Tunnel to Towers 5k several years ago, and it was so much fun. Both of them have also visited Chicago--one for a work conference, but I was able to head downtown and hang out with her. The other came to run the Shamrock Shuffle with me a couple of years ago. For sure, we will have to meet up. Churros are so yummy--and yes, these were filled with dulce de leche--no fudge though.

AFM-- Oh wow, another high stress day and too many Mexican sweets left over from our taco day on Wed. I ate so much pan dulce and an entire concha today. Fortunately, Spring Break is here!!! I'm so happy because I will now have time to catch up on grading and lesson plans, get some cleaning and projects done around the house, and get back into an exercise routine. Oh, and sleep--I'm so excited about sleep!! Tomorrow a friend is having a dinner party, so that will be fun. But first, I will take Gunner for his bath and clean up all of his fur while he's out of the house.

1/19/19 = 203
    1/26/19 = 201
    2/1/19 = 203
    2/9/19 = 203
    2/17/19 = 201
    2/23/19 = 200
    3/2/19 = 200
    3/9/19 = 200
    3/16/19 = 199
  • happygirlxxx
    Options
    Happy Saturday!!

Beautiful day here in Chicago ... it’s sunny, hardly any clouds and even though it’s still a bit chilly it’s nice outside for a walk.

I am just having breakfast at this coffee shop that I love ... but it’s such a temptation with all these pastries (croissants, scones, etc) :blush:

But I was good though ... had a hardy breakfast that should last me (hopefully) for the rest of the day

totkulpjrgwl.jpeg

@sweeetypie1 I have not tried IF, but have friends that do and they love it ... helps them control how many calories they consume per day but specially they said it gives them tons of energy and mental clarity ... so good luck! Keep us posted how it goes ... I might try one of these days.

@skinnyjeanzbound would be fun to find a 5K to do together!! I did Shamrock many years back and it was fun.

AFM - this week I don’t think there has been weight loss ... not sure why, but I continue going ... eventually my body will decide to let go of the fat :smiley:

I have not weighted myself today, but next time I post promise to share!

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • raindogmaa
    raindogmaa Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Name: Cyndy
    Height: 5’3"
    Highest Weight: (Oct 15, 2004) 250
    Re-Start Weight (Sept 1, 2018): 221
    Goal Weight (June 7, 2019) 165

Jan 22 191
    Jan 28 189.5
    Feb 4 190.0
    Feb 13 190.2
    Feb 18 187.4
    Feb 25 187.3
    Mar 19 185.8
    Mar 25 188.2

Week (+/-) = +2.4
    Since Re-Start = 32.8
    Since First start = 61.8

Well, darn.... it was my birthday weekend and I did go off program. The good news is that I didn't go back into the 90's.... and I was able to resist alcohol. I give myself a victory points for that! Ha ha!

@sweeetypie1 I have been trying for a few weeks now to do IF. I have a hard time getting dinner in before 7pm or 8pm because of work and activities, which has me eating my 1st meal at 11am or 12:noon... so it's a challenge for me.

Here's to a good week for everyone!!!
  • sweeetypie1
    Options
    No weight loss this week
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    My plan to cut out the carbs and sugar this week have gone by the wayside. Too much socializing with friends- thai food and martinis yesterday for lunch, dinner out with a friend Wednesday, dinner with my sister Tuesday. Needless to say the scale is up, and I'm NOT happy about it. To make matters worse, I haven't been to the gym once this week even though I had planned to go several days while on break.

The good news is I've already done my shopping for healthier fare going forward. I'm not excited about going back to work on Monday, but it will be good to get back to a schedule. Years ago, I used to post lists to track my exercise and my grading that I needed to get done. That really helped me with the work/life balance, so I'm going to try it again.

I also made some good progress preparing for Iceland. Went shopping to the outlets on Tuesday, and got waterproof hiking shoes at the Columbia outlet and a pair of water repellent pants at Eddie Bauer. Then today, I went to REI and bought waterproof pants, so I'm pretty much set when it comes to gear.

1/19/19 = 203
    1/26/19 = 201
    2/1/19 = 203
    2/9/19 = 203
    2/17/19 = 201
    2/23/19 = 200
    3/2/19 = 200
    3/9/19 = 200
    3/16/19 = 199
    3/23/19 = 201

Exercise Schedule:
    Sat = gym + walk gunner
    Sun = walk gunner
    Mon = gym + walk gunner
    Tues = rest day
    Wed = walk gunner
    Thurs = gym + walk gunner
    Fri = walk gunner

Grading:
    AP essays 24/52
    Media essays 12/18
  • happygirlxxx
    Options
    Helloooooo .... well not a good week at all .. what started last weekend with a “just once” ended up being the whole week of poor food and exercise choices ... I haven’t even weighted myself because I might crack the scale :neutral: and worst part I haven’t even made the attempt to track my food because I think deep inside I was embarrassed and annoyed with myself for choosing not to care .... anyway back to tracking and trying to go back to eating healthier!

Have a good weekend!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @happygirlxxx -- I hear you! That's exactly how my week went. But today I made really good choices and I went tot the gym for the first time in at least a month. We've got this!

1/19/19 = 203
    1/26/19 = 201
    2/1/19 = 203
    2/9/19 = 203
    2/17/19 = 201
    2/23/19 = 200
    3/2/19 = 200
    3/9/19 = 200