Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

“Large” Restaurant Customers need special accommodation?

Replies

• Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Maybe a restaurateur or waiter/tress could enlighten me. Is there much call for most restaurants to provide better seating for the obese in terms of increasing footfall? I'm just thinking about how lots of women demanded larger dummies in clothes shops but it's made no difference to sales of larger sizes when it's been implemented. Or how shops don't usually stock clothing above a certain size, or indeed below or for particularly short or tall people but certain lobbies suggest that they should be able to walk into any clothes shop and find clothes literally for ALL sizes (ie just the morbidly obese). Again, this would be a loss to the retailer as it's, at the moment, a minority market. I'm clueless as to the proportion of Americans that are so fat as to require this level of accommodation.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    @lemurcat12 Regarding woos, I see someone's just woo'd me for my opinion on today's events in UK politics, so... :D

I got a couple too. I'm collecting them lol.

Is it too much to ask that the "wooer" voice their opinion as well? You know, debate forum and all...
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    If most people found shame an effective motivator to make positive changes, the majority of people would already be slim. Barring a small minority, people generally didn't aspire to be overweight or obese, and they're definitely not proud of their bodies the way they are. This includes most of the fat-positive bloggers, in my opinion.

And yet, the National Center for Health Statistics estimates that, for 2015-2016 in the U.S., 71.6% of adults aged 20 and over were overweight or obese and according to a WHO study in 2014, 62% of adults in England were classified as overweight or obese.

Clearly making people feel ashamed hasn't worked yet, and it's not going to suddenly start working. I think it might be time to try a new strategy.

Stats taken from wikipedia
    Regarding the bold - without (hopefully) taking the discussion into prohibited territory per forum rules....what if, say...a country had an absolutely awesome, incredible first lady who developed and implemented a program to teach school children about the importance of proper nutrition in an effort to combat obesity, and everyone loved it except the next admin to take power...who cancelled it? No one here ought to miss that reference :|

The tenuous point I'm trying to make is that we're strategy limited apparently, at the governmental level, and motivationally limited at the personal level...what's next for a strategy?

I do agree with you by the way, strongly. I just see slippery slopes in one direction and steep cliffs in the other. Real change motivators usually need to come from within, or from a source that carries strong enough promise to gain traction.
    Believe me, I know. I'm watching my own government fall apart.

All the most effective strategies I've ever seen suggested need top-down implementation.

I missed this earlier @HeliumIsNoble sorry.

I tend to agree, but I'm one of those that are concerned with anything oversight becoming over reach. Not that we've never seen gov't initiatives mismanaged and all. Here, school meals have to be approved at the state level due to federal funds being used, and the results, locally anyway, are less than stellar in my opinion.

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    @lemurcat12 Regarding woos, I see someone's just woo'd me for my opinion on today's events in UK politics, so... :D

I got a couple too. I'm collecting them lol.

Is it too much to ask that the "wooer" voice their opinion as well? You know, debate forum and all...
    Actually, I think I'd rather have woos than discuss the Brexit débâcle on yet another forum. It's bad enough living it in real life and discussing it on all the rest of my social media.

You do have a good point there :)