Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eating mushrooms may cut your chances of dementia in half: Study

Options

Replies

• anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    it seems like we also (as a society) seem to have a tendency to identify a health benefit from food, then zero in quickly on a key ingredient (in this case the ergothioneine), extract or synthesize it, and put it in meal replacement powders, supplement powders, etc., where it may or may not have the benefits it has in a real-food context.

@AnnPT77 so true! Not too long ago I received an invite to participate in a trial of powdered extract from cherries or beets, something red anyways. It was regarding exercise and VO2 max, and to participate you wouldn't be able to eat ANY foods that are good sources of antioxidants for the duration of the study! So, assuming you eat a somewhat healthful, balanced diet, you make it unhealthy and unbalanced just so you can test a new supplement to replace healthful food. Kitten, I have no words.
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    a3cqxgnpixex.jpg

Here's the mushroom seasoning I use. Ingredients: mushroom powder, salt, mushroom extract, vitamin B, calcium. It is a super umami bomb. Great for reducing sodium (177mg per tablespoon compared to 6,976mg in table salt) without sacrificing flavor.

If you ever happen to run across mushroom coffee, run far away. The basic concept is Chinese medicinal mushroom powder in instant coffee. I tried a sample once. Tastes even worse than it sounds!
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Yeah, given a choice between eating mushrooms and getting dementia, I'd take the dementia.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I'm screwed.

I'm very concerned about dementia, but... I don't want to eat mushrooms. Especially if they'll prevent dementia, actually. Think about it- that means not only will you have eaten mushrooms, you'll remember having eaten them. Ack.

You know, learning additional languages is also supposed to have a protective effect against dementia. Can we do that instead?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,075 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    PPs who don't want their mushrooms may pass their share to me. Thank you! :flowerforyou:

I will generously donate my share of bacon and steak in return. :)
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    PPs who don't want their mushrooms may pass their share to me. Thank you! :flowerforyou:

I will generously donate my share of bacon and steak in return. :)

Call me! 😂
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Here's great recipe for mushrooms. Sautee them in Butter. When they are done, add red wine and reduce. Once reduced add Bleu Cheese. Serve over steak.

Hate Bleu cheese...

I typically cook shrooms with asparagus and a lil oyster sauce..yum yum.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this thread is making me so hungry! I practically eat my weight in mushrooms each week. I can easily just sit down and eat a big portion of sauteed mushrooms and onions as a meal.

But for some reason I can't eat portabellas. They make me sick to my stomach. I think they are too rich.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,075 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this thread is making me so hungry! I practically eat my weight in mushrooms each week. I can easily just sit down and eat a big portion of sauteed mushrooms and onions as a meal.

But for some reason I can't eat portabellas. They make me sick to my stomach. I think they are too rich.

If you haven't eaten morels, you might want to be cautious, then. Some of the wild varieties can be an issue for some people. I don't think those types occur in commercially-grown morels.

(No one's likely to offer you a huge portion of morels willy-nilly anyway. Even now that they're commercially grown, the little suckers tend to cost around $60 a pound most of the year, around here. Fortunately, a delightful tasting portion doesn't weigh very much at all.)
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options

If you haven't eaten morels, you might want to be cautious, then. Some of the wild varieties can be an issue for some people. I don't think those types occur in commercially-grown morels.

(No one's likely to offer you a huge portion of morels willy-nilly anyway. Even now that they're commercially grown, the little suckers tend to cost around $60 a pound most of the year, around here. Fortunately, a delightful tasting portion doesn't weigh very much at all.)

Agreed. My dad can eat store-bought mushrooms with no problem. But the delicious morels that we find in the woods make him very sick. He still enjoys hunting with us, though. It's such a great family activity.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if they are covered in goat cheese, apparently, i can eat it. i tried sauce and shitaki alone and it was still a nope
    9tfi4u3d241u.png
    morel hunting is a thing up in door county. pigs, dogs, families going to secret spots.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    mushrooms are pretty amazing. I avoided them at all cost for most of my life, but started eating them in the past 3-4 years. Won't touch a portabella though.
  • tmpecus78
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Ate a lot of mushrooms back in the 70's. Gave me temporary dementia.

hell yes!!! Everyone needs to eat magic mushrooms at least once in their life.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    tmpecus78 wrote: »
    mushrooms are pretty amazing. I avoided them at all cost for most of my life, but started eating them in the past 3-4 years. Won't touch a portabella though.

I tried them just for the heck of it at a place that had a huge tub of sauteed mushrooms on a buffet. That was about 40 years ago and they still have me well and truly hooked.
  • tmpecus78
    Options

They are prevalent here in Wisconsin because of the large population of Elm trees. These suckers usually fetch close to $100/lb in this area. :o
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are the main specialty crop of at least 2 of the local urban farms.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I wonder how they can separate the mushrooms variable from the rest of the good habits in those people who eats them.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    This is just an observation that 300 grams of mushrooms prepared any way you love them is still a lot of mushrooms to have to eat every week.

That is no problem for me. It is common for me to eat 8 ounces at a time 3 times a week.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 the renaissance fair by us has portabella burgers and butter and garlic button mushrooms and they all smell wonderful but nope. they go in my mouth and then come right back out. can't even force a swallow :disappointed:

but that's an interesting idea about ground mushroom

I feel exactly this way about sashimi! Raw slimy fish flesh....ack :s
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i don't do mushrooms. i want to. but i just not a fan of taste and/or texture
    but i like cooking and so many wonderful dishes include mushrooms

one more reason for me to try to acclimate my tastebuds if this study and studies like it continue to support the idea

I'm with you on the texture, but I do like the taste, so use them in cooking, and make some pieces big enough to easily pick out, and some pieces small enough so that the texture is not noticeable.