HELP ME - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

Options

Replies

• Tracie_Lord
    Tracie_Lord Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    If you are consistently gaining weight or plateauing, then you are by definition not in a calorie deficit.

I can't remember whether you said how you're logging your food and choosing your DB entries?

I log everything and am very careful - always over log if I am unsure on anything

I also once thought as you did but the truth is I don't think it is that simple and I say that from experience.

Everyone is different.

Thanks for the input though :)

I remember looking at a diary once where someone was logging a mozzarella-covered cheeseburger as only 250 calories, because he'd made really bad choices in which entry to take from the database. There is SO MUCH bad data in there.

I also remember people saying they only don't log beverages and asying their 2x/day lattes were "just coffee."

It's not lying to yourself, its the downstream problem of not always realizing some of the issues with the database and what you're actually logging.

I always think of the poster who wasn't logging her cooking spray because the label lists a quarter second spray as zero calories. But she was going through a can of the stuff every 1-2 days and had something like 900 calories unaccounted for.

Or the poor people who get caught up trusting the bar code scanner and verified entries. Oof, some of those are waaay off.

I scanned a bar code on some number like week and it recognised it as passata! :dizzy: hahaha
  • Tracie_Lord
    edited March 2019
    Options
    If you are very sure, why are you so hesitant to open the diary? People are just trying to help.

Interesting as my diary is open, I am not hesitant at all - please go look, it's my truth laid open

Either there's an issue and you tried to look and couldn't

or

you assumed

I asked for help and I value all opinions but please make sure that you express and opinion and not an assumption

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Tracie_Lord

Maybe the link will help, please let me know if you cannot view my diary as it is open to public and if there is an issue I shall like to let the site know
  • Tracie_Lord
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    If you are consistently gaining weight or plateauing, then you are by definition not in a calorie deficit.

I can't remember whether you said how you're logging your food and choosing your DB entries?

I log everything and am very careful - always over log if I am unsure on anything

I also once thought as you did but the truth is I don't think it is that simple and I say that from experience.

Everyone is different.

Thanks for the input though :)

Everyone in similar positions to yours always claims they log everything accurately. 90% of the time, when they open their diaries that turns out not to be the case.

You may be one of the other 10%, or you may not. I will be interested to know whether increasing your intake alone, without changing up anything else, results in weight loss.

@ceiswyn I don't claim I tell the truth, why would I lie to myself it makes no sense

I don't know you and you don't know me so your opinion of me is irrelevant to me but thank you for your input when I openly asked for advice

Feedback is a gift and I appreciate you sharing how you perceive me

I have upped my intake AND upped my training programme, I see the both go hand in hand and I took the advice from a PT face to face as I have stated in this thread

Nobody is saying that anyone is lying to themselves or anyone else.

We see it on here fairly often and what is meant isn't that the person is lying to themselves or "cheating their diary" they're just wayyyy less accurate than they thought they were being.

No harm, no foul.

This poster was saying that - each post they have made has been a dig but that's ok everyone is different

My diary is open for all to see so please look and let me know where you think I can go better. I have taken advice and changed things up in the last 2 weeks.

It is funny though as I added a protein bar before workout (on advice) and literally the day after someone else suggested I stop the protein bars! hahaha

What I am doing (changed in the last 2 weeks) seems to be working for me so I'm carrying on down that road I think for a while

That does not mean I don't value everyone's opinion :)

This poster was not saying that. RGv2's interpretation of my statements and my motives was 100% correct. But if thinking I'm a horrible person is helpful to you in some way, go for your life!

Thanks for opening your diary. If that's accurate, you're severely undereating. There are a couple of things I'd like to check; the '1 serving' of 'mushroom rice' and 'chicken satay' you had on Saturday? Are they your own recipe/entries? Did you really eat nothing after midmorning on Thursday? Otherwise, I have to agree that your logging looks pretty solid; certainly the things that you're not weighing aren't going to add up to a lot of extra calories (that would have to be one huge tangerine if so :) )

I do not know you as a person and would not make judgement on you at all.

Yes they are my recipes that I have weighed all ingredients and portions out. Same with the 'quorn, mushroom and onion' as part of lunch yesterday. Thursday I am not sure what happened because I ate all day and need to check so thank you for alerting me to it.

In regards to the tangerines joking aside it bothers me as they are from my local farm and tiny - Like an inch and 1/2 at tops and I have no idea how to log them :disappointed:

My diary has always been open.
  • Tracie_Lord
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Tracie - first I must congratulate you on your enduring politeness in thanking people for offering their advice and guidance even when you feel there is some criticism implied.

Had a quick look at your food diary - the mixture of measurements (cups, spoons and grams) is a slight concern.

Your exercise diary though does show some very, very high calorie burns - I would be extremely sceptical unless you have extraordinary levels of fitness, such as a competitive athlete.
    Examples:
    Stair-treadmill ergometer, general. Burning 16 cals/min is a rate few will achieve.
    Treadmill, 10% gradient, 3.5mph walking. Even on an incline burning 10 cals/min I doubt is accurate for walking.
    Elliptical Trainer. Over 13 cals/min is unlikely.

To get an idea of what your cardio calorie burn capabilities are I would suggest running on level ground for 20 minutes and using the net calorie formula bodyweight in pounds X distance in miles X 0.63 - while not of course transferable between different cardio exercises I think it would put some perspective on what you personally are likely to be capable of.

Thank you - I asked for advice and I need to allow myself to be open to it good or bad :) Its the assumptions that bother me but everyone is different I guess.

I amend these figures, rather than MFP database from what the machines at my gym tell me as they are programmes with my height, weight etc and all what I do is interval and HIIT so I find the nearest 'exercise' on the MFP database and amend the calories as per my machine data. My PT seems pretty certain they are correct. Thank you for pointing it out though and maybe I should push on this. Thought about a fitbit too and may help more with control.

Where is your calculation from please and what is it based on? That certainly may help me.