Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What new or revised public policy/law would make it easier for people to maintain a healthy weight?

Copper_Boom
Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
Or prevent obesity?

From a maintenance perspective, I wish calorie disclosure would go further. I would like to see mandatory calorie counts for all restaurants and shops selling food items, regardless of number of locations. Not to the extent of sending food to a lab for measurement, but at least calculating calories for all the ingredients and dividing by their serving size.

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    RowingBill wrote: »
    Full disclosure of calories for all edible foods. Aside from that no more soda for NYC. HA HA Joking.
    Seriously, We do have too many laws already.
    I was waiting for someone to bring that up :D
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    I would love for changes to take place in regards to food and drinks consumed by children. I see children drinking large, frozen drinks from Starbucks, for example. These drinks can be so caloric and easily be 1/3 or more of a child's daily caloric need. And obviously this isn't the only food and drink establishment that serves very high calorie products to kids, just one example.

I don't know if it's a matter of parents being unaware of calories in general or maybe thinking a frozen beverage is somehow less calories than an ice cream sundae.

I would love to see some type of literature/poster in places like Starbucks that illustrate caloric needs of children and what happens when they eat too high calories over a period of time. This could include information on diabetes and other illnesses typically caused by being overweight.

A few times in summer I've seen a "mini" size for the frappucinos. Those should be available year round. It's a small enough size to be a decent treat for a kid (obviously a non-caffeinated one).

I believe Starbucks is always willing to sell you a smaller size than what is shown on the menus. I don't go often, but when I do I am always getting the very smallest and it's never listed an an option on the menu.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    I would love for changes to take place in regards to food and drinks consumed by children. I see children drinking large, frozen drinks from Starbucks, for example. These drinks can be so caloric and easily be 1/3 or more of a child's daily caloric need. And obviously this isn't the only food and drink establishment that serves very high calorie products to kids, just one example.

I don't know if it's a matter of parents being unaware of calories in general or maybe thinking a frozen beverage is somehow less calories than an ice cream sundae.

I would love to see some type of literature/poster in places like Starbucks that illustrate caloric needs of children and what happens when they eat too high calories over a period of time. This could include information on diabetes and other illnesses typically caused by being overweight.

A few times in summer I've seen a "mini" size for the frappucinos. Those should be available year round. It's a small enough size to be a decent treat for a kid (obviously a non-caffeinated one).

My sister used to get her kids one small strawberry cream drink and have them split it into 2 cups. And my 11 year old daughter just gets the smallest size possible during the rare Starbucks visits. But we consider health and calories for our children. I think a lot of parents just somehow aren't aware.