JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Replies

• Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,184 Member

Elbee1 - do you have to get up in the morning for a job? How do you ever survive through the day?

Yes, I do. And I'm guilty of being late most of the time; however, often I have working lunches & stay late. I have not been feeling well in the mornings but once I start waking up & moving... I'm good. I figured out that my body needs at least 5 hrs of sleep in order to function pretty darn good. But I'm best with 8 hours & that rarely has happened over the past 29 years. Lol

I may need more sleep once I start working in regular exercise as I don't know if I'll function as well at my age, now.

• toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    @snowflake1968 Just letting you know I'm thinking of you :smile: Hope the grands gave you a boost.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,247 Member
    I missed posting yesterday ... and am behind reading by 6 pages! I am so tired tonite, so I will only post my goals. But I will try and go back and see what I missed.
    But what I did see is @snowflake -- I am so very sorry you did not get the job. But I truly believe that when the right job comes, you will be happy that you did not get offered this one.There is a job out there for you ... and I will say a prayer that it comes along soon. In the meantime, I hope you can take this time to just take care of you.

My goals tomorow are simple.
    1. log all food
    2. mindful eating -- stop grabbing handfuls of nuts!!!!
    3. jan challenge = 8+ water
    4. feb chall - 1 nite time snack (and this does not mean endlesss nuts!) ... Can you tell I've been eating too many nuts today!
    5. mar challenge - 15 minutes outside
    6. work in the yard if not raining
    7. Catch up on posts that I have missed!!!
  • mytime6630
    Elbee1 wrote: »
    3/25/19 Mon.
    *Weigh: 154.4 lbs. yay!

Look at that scale moving downward -- great job!
  • mytime6630
    @mytime6630 - I saw this and thought of you and @PackerFanInGB
    g1x3mjnat78v.jpeg

Cute!
  • mytime6630

WFTY: Climbing. Well, it's my birthday. And I'm STILL about 20 lbs. heavier than I was this time last year. I mean, if I'm really honest, according to the scale I've been fighting to maintain rather than actually losing. I'm still tired pretty much constantly, and I don't really know why. I've cut back on exercise. I don't have my master's work this week.
    iiz8hpeq2ela.gif

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
  • mytime6630
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Well i did it! (With help from the girls!) Kitchen is spotless, theres not even a pot on the draining board! And i have never in 27 years put them straight away! (Saskia dried nearly all of them for me, Marley filled the dishwasher with my supervision and switfhed it on and picked up some pff her mess.
    Ill empty the dishwasher in the morning.

I didn't have time to read all the posts ... but great job Bex! Your little girls are learning so much, and most likely they are so proud to be helping mommy! We always had chores growing up .. . it instilled in all of us a strong work ethic, which is a good thing! Great job mommy!!
  • jeschepp
    jeschepp Posts: 307 Member
    I couldn't find any of the "Like" or other buttons tonight reading through posts, and was very frustrated I couldn't cheer people on. Then I realized I'd been logged out-ugh. Letting it go.
    @Bex953172 I give you HUGE credit for being willing to look at things you can improve for the betterment of your family. It's hard not to feel insecure or let pride get in the way, and I really admire your willingness to make changes and try something new.
    @Snowflake1968 I know the money dance very well. It's so stressful! Keep your chin up and remember you've always found a way and you will this time too!

I went for a long walk today because the weather was lovely. It felt just amazing. I am hoping if I stick to it, and build up my jogging I might be able to run a 5k this summer? I feel so vulnerable even putting that in writing, I just don't have confidence in my abilities. One step at a time.

JFT (3/27)
    drink 80 oz. water ✅
    eat recommended servings of the 5 food groups :( still pretty mixed
    stay between 1.2-1.4k calories :(
    exercise 30 minutes ✅ took a glorious long walk!
    go to bed between 9-10 ✅ just couldn't fall asleep!
    track all food/exercise ✅
    post on JFT ✅

JFT (3/28)
    drink 80 oz. water
    eat recommended servings of the 5 food groups
    stay between 1.2-1.4k calories
    exercise 30 minutes
    go to bed between 9-10
    track all food/exercise
    post on JFT
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :smile:
    - Stick to food plan :neutral: Couple of extra yoghurts, c. 100 kcal
    - 4 bottles water :smile: Just finishing the 4th
    - No alcohol :smile:

- No eating whilst standing :neutral: Except for pre French snack
    - Savour every bite :neutral:
    - Talk back to sabotaging thoughts :smile: Yes, but not in relation to food (see below)
    - Give myself credit! :neutral: Forgot to do this
    - Stay positive :neutral: I got rather stressed

- 45+ minute lunch break :neutral: 30 mins
    - Meditate :smile:
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast :smile:
    - Finish work at 5pm :/ Nope, left at 6.15 and was really late for French. But I did go. I considered not going as I was really stressed and tried to persuade myself that a night of rest was needed. But then I decided not to let work sabotage my other priorities
    - Gratitude journal :smile:
    - Lights off by 11 :smile:

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - Be in the green
    - 4 bottles water
    - No alcohol
    - Run to work

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Talk back to sabotaging thoughts
    - Give myself credit!
    - Stay positive

- 45+ minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast
    - Finish work by 6.30pm
    - Declutter cupboard
    - Make a plan for weekend
    - Gratitude journal
    - Lights off by 11

Weekly calorie balance: 580 in red

Words for 2019: Mindful Moderation

How I practised Mindful Moderation yesterday: By not giving into the urge to have a gin as soon as I got home!
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 wrote: »

3/27/19 wed
    Weight: 153.4 lbs.
    *4 glasses of water 🙂 Drank 5
    *stay in green 🙂
    *do some meal planning 🙂
    *work in exercise 😞
    *Be in bed by midnight--I KNOW THAT I'LL START DOING THIS ONE OF THESE DAYS! lol! 😞
    *find or create release of lien document & send to contractor I used for parents home. (Long story but one of his subcontractors knocked on my elderly, dementia parents door & tried to collect. 😞 Had headache
    *send doc. to contractor 😞
    *pay parents homeowners ins. 😞

Same ones for 3/28/19 thurs.
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Thursday 28 March

Log accurately
    Stay in the green
    5 fruit and veg
    January challenge
    February challenge
    March challenge
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Yay @bookmeister86 - great work on talking yourself back into going to French and thanks for the running inspiration. I thought of your half marathon when I was running my 10k yesterday!

Quick post as rushing:

Wednesday goals recap:
    - morning long run ✅ 10k again - yay!
    - Get cash out on way to work ✅
    - Early to work for staff choir/ handover ✅
    - Planning time out of class. Water, 1x snack only ❎ two snacks (but the extra was a pear so no big deal!)
    - Home lunchtime for car and shake ✅
    - cash for piano teacher ✅
    - pick up more frozen fruit ❎ and some veggies ✅after work
    - Pamper (tan?) ✅
    - Girls hair wash❎ forgot they have sports clubs tomorrow so will do after that
    - Bed by 9:30 ✅

Thursday goals:
    - morning workout ✅
    - pack snack and milk to take to work ✅
    - water!
    - home lunchtime for car and shake
    - remind kids re show and tell
    - do pupil progress document before leaving
    - buy frozen fruit on way home
    - kids homework and hair wash
    - online grocery shop
    - bed by 9:30

Have a great day everyone x
  • awhit4842
    awhit4842 Posts: 236 Member
    JFT Thursday
    1. Get back on track after yesterday’s fail.
    2. Log all food
    3. 6am workout 👍
    4. Drink 100oz water
    5. Having a weigh in at the Dr today. No matter what the number, remember that I am sticking to my routine and am feeling better. I am more than a number on a scale.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Checking in from Wednesday
    1. No AM run. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Tea! Update JFT by 7:00.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Find & print stretching exercises.
    3. Class 1-2: Check Clauses worksheet. Review smoking ban essay for examples of Works Cited and in-text citation. Research project. Students who finish early - take books to work room; pass papers back; cut scrap paper. Enter narrative grades. Begin grading research essays. Organize IEP drawer.
    4. Planning: A - 10 poetry projects. B - 10 research essays. C - 10 poetry projects. D - 10 research essays.
    5. Class 4: Read ballads. Use squiggle picture story Friday. Presentations?
    6. Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Park run - aim for 3.5 miles, <50 min. Log Thursday food. Prep Thursday lunch. Chop celery.
    8. Gratitude journal. Dinner with parents. Fold and put laundry away.
    9. Therapy exercises. Lang8 post. Read 6 pages of Capital. Read 10 pages of Ivanhoe. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50. Update Goodreads Friday. MAKE SURE MUSIC IS CHARGED. Conferences with 1-2 Thursday and Friday.

JFT Thursday
    1. No AM run. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Update JFT by 7:00. Update first directions.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Print Grammarly worksheet.
    3. Class 1-2: Finish typing research and print. Students who finish early - take books to work room; pass papers back; cut scrap paper. Return narrative projects - Conferences after printing. Begin grading research essays.
    4. Planning: A - Duo. Log Friday food. Call CVS to refill prescription. B - Grade 10 poetry projects. C - Birthday party! D - Enter grades for poetry presentations and Socratic discussion.
    5. Class 4: Uhoh. Finished presentations early. Surveys! Maybe some TPCASTT?
    6. Review assessments. What is my purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Park run - aim for 4 miles, <60 min. Fold laundry. Update grocery list.
    8. Update Goodreads Friday. Blog post. Read 6 pages Capital and 10 Ivanhoe. Lang8 post?
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Fri lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50. Update Goodreads Friday. Check AM weather to plan run. Head to LW Friday IMMEDIATELY after school to fill out paperwork. Take cord for phone to school. Take headphones.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    February 2019: 187.0
    Today: 192.3

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me).
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays!
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals.
    6. Medical: Dentist? Apr 22 McC. Need sub. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Theater: Audition for Mamma Mia ??? Need sub for May 2, opening day.
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots. Check with D about ceiling.

WFTY: Climbing. High weight again but that was to some degree to be expected. On the plus side (ha ha) I did run longer yesterday - 4 miles is my highest distance since my injury last fall and I'm happy about that.

WOOP! Gotta scoot. <3 all!
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Good morning! It's back to work today, and tonight is our guests last night here. Going to miss them! Yesterday was fun, we tried a local Italian place and then got gelato which was AMAZING. Also, I somehow managed to get 12k steps so I stayed within goal which is nothing short of a miracle lol 😂😂

Yesterday 3/27:

1. Stay within calorie goal😁
    2. Get a minimum of 4,000 steps😁
    3. Do workout😁
    4. Relax😁

JFT 3/28:

1. Stay within calorie goal
    2. Go for a walk at lunch
    3. Finish work at 5:15
    4. Stay positive and don't stress
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Yesterday:
    - take a walk :)
    - make 20 squats :)
    - implement likes and followers, and new h. item screen in the app I've been working on :)
    - eat light, veggie-based dinner and nothing after it :| (I forgot I need to be on diet today to prep for an ultrasound, so I decided to eat a bit more yesterday for dinner)
    All in all, it was a successful day.

I made mistake and ate like a half of an egg which resulted in a gallbladder attack during the night. So, I'll take today super easy.
    - take a walk
    - 20 squats
    - clean up the bedroom
    - implement the home screen in the app
  • Elbee1
    @bookmeister86 What a beautiful, inspirational post. Congratulations on running a half marathon! Thank you for sharing your story with us. You certainly have come a long way from your childhood & asthma days!

@Faebert Fantastic on the long run --10k ! I love your posts.

@Snowflake 1968 I feel certain you'll find work, soon. They missed out on you. The thing I hated most about job searching was that you rarely find out why... I hate that. So many other great responses & messages from others here. I'm sore that I couldn't respond sooner, you were definitely in my thoughts.

@Bex953172 fantastic job in the kitchen! Awesome that you & Ash were able to talk. You had lots of sage advice, here. May your kids continue to bring you joy & be able to help you. Kids need to be busy. One of the things that I did with my two (only 2, tho...), was that we had weekly meetings that included award certificates that I made with colored construction paper. Sometimes they were simple with just made up names. I can't remember the more creative names at the moment. I made multiple ones for each child. Sometimes decorated with stickers or a drawing, sometimes just the: words. The Unicorn Award. Put name on it of who earned it. Maybe for someone who remembered to put her toy unicorns away when she was finished playing with them. Best Helper Award. A shared Award would go on the bathroom wall. We hung the awards on their door.
    We also would talk about the upcoming weeek or an area of focus for the week. Even awards on getting along, or most helpful to his sister Award.
    We also did the time outs, the same exact way as @Snowflake1968 except I did not do the 3 count warning. Otherwise we did it the exact same way.

We also sometimes did "Love Hugs". "Looks like someone needs a love hug". Both randomly & when someone had a temper tantrum. Where you just hug them & kiss them on your lap or next to you on the couch. Or on the floor until they calm down.

Those are just a couple things we did. We also had sticker charts & award was from the "ticket box". Buy little small dollar tree type items of food treat so even if not many stickers they earned an award for good behavior like getting along or chores. If someone saw something they really wanted at a store that was higher value, we'd ask if they'd like to earn it & we'd buy it & put it in the ticket gift box. We would put sticker on it in the box with the ticket value.

More than 2 kids might have been too difficult to initiate these things but you get the general idea of things.

So far my two have turned out fantastic & they both had special needs. 27 & 28 yrs old. May have been sheer luck, tho. (Daughter had more anxieties than very experienced professional therapist had ever seen. Also, what ended up being an unspecified learning disorder because she didn't fit exactly in a category. And was victim of bullying). (Son had ADD & H, oppositional defiance disorder, etc). He is successful mechanical engineer & married. Daughter has Masters in Genetics/Biological Sciences & is married & prego with 1st one. As I said could have been sheer luck. Also. Wonderful other things & people we had in their lives. (Healing thru Horseplay combined therapist with horses$.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!!!

• daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    edited March 2019
    @Snowflake1968 Thank you for support! I am sorry you're going through a rough period, I wish I can help you somehow. I work as a freelancer, on contract, from project to project. Some periods there is so much work that I can't physically make it, while in other periods looks like nobody needs my skills anymore. Periods without projects are always challenging and mess up with self-esteem, but I've learned that most of the things just happen in waves. To me, learning helps a lot with staying sane in periods like this. Stay strong and do one day at a time. Keep searching, I am sure the right job is waiting for you.

@Bex953172 Wooow, looks like you guys are on fire! So awesome :)

@bookmeister86 So inspiring! I feel like you were talking about me and my childhood, congrats on running half-marathon!
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,520 Member
    I could not get my posting in yesterday due to training a new guy ALL day. Exhausting!! Then had to work late last night.

JFT 3/28/19

Log all food
    Get up from desk at least once an hour for 5 minutes
    Drink 6 waters
    Get the ironing done
    Get the last of the bills paid
    Eat 3 fruits today