Women Who Lift

I have gotten back into lifting after ~2 years off. I'm on my 4th week of Thinner, Leaner, Stronger (previously did a majority of New Rules of Lifting for Women). I would like to friend other women who lift, especially those who post/interact with posts regularly. I've been posting about my lifts and experiences, but none of my current MFP friends relate.

Replies

• Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Add me :)
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    sunscoutie wrote: »
    I lift 3x a week with a coach at the gym. Been going for 4 months now. It’s a slow process and I just recently started noticing an overall change from flab to muscle.

I’m currently overweight after having a baby and gaining 50lbs (2 years ago ). I’ve made a commitment to do a year of this coaching with heavy weights to see what happens. I figure it can’t hurt.

I used to run and do a lot of cardio. But weight lifting is so awesome. It makes me feel strong and sexy. Cardio never did.

I feel the same way about lifting! I do still love running and spin, but I feel so strong when I lift :) I'm trying to cut some as well. Sent you a friend request :)
    I lift!

I just finished the most recent NROL book Strong, like two weeks ago. Just started the Advanced Strong Curves program. I'm really enjoying it so far.

That's awesome!! I was following the older NROL4W I believe. I was doing it up until my wedding then never picked it back up after getting married. I switched over to Thinner, Leaner, Stronger as I like that it has compound lifts in every workout, I feel the exercises are more straight forward, and I liked how it was geared towards those wanting to cut. I've got about 10 more lbs I'd like to lose. I did have good results on NROL though. Also sent your a friend request.
    Add me :)

Done! Thanks!!
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    I added you. I aim to lift 4x per week, upper/lower split but I also work six days a week right now. it’s hard to fit everything in!

• Catia335
    Catia335 Posts: 17 Member
    I’ve been lifting off and on and loving it. I lift in my basement with my husband 3 days a week. Full body workouts. We do a very basic ABA routine that includes: deadlifts, squats, bench press, OHP, pull ups, dips, rows, hip thrusts etc. Focused on progressive overload does wonders. 🙂 feel free to add me!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited March 2019
    I lift!

I just finished the most recent NROL book Strong, like two weeks ago. Just started the Advanced Strong Curves program. I'm really enjoying it so far.

That's awesome!! I was following the older NROL4W I believe. I was doing it up until my wedding then never picked it back up after getting married. I switched over to Thinner, Leaner, Stronger as I like that it has compound lifts in every workout, I feel the exercises are more straight forward, and I liked how it was geared towards those wanting to cut. I've got about 10 more lbs I'd like to lose. I did have good results on NROL though. Also sent your a friend request.

Ah, I lost all my weight doing Strong, maybe they wrote their new book a little more weight loss oriented. I felt like the whole program (as with almost any women's program I've looked at) has a weight loss slant. Also, we did compound lifts every workout, as it was a 3-day full body program. I think they made some improvements for their newer books, everything was really straightforward and easy. I did hear the NROLFW was a little, complicated? I'm not sure. I checked it out from the library and decided to do NROL (the original) instead, back before kids.

Anyway, whatever gets you in the gym and gets you lifting, right?

The advanced Strong Curves program is kicking my butt, and I finished Strong lifting really heavy. The switch from a strength based program (the last phase of Strong was) to a hypertrophy program, trying to keep up the same or increase the intensity....OMG it's killing me. I'm shooting for 4 days per week, the A-B-A-C routine the book suggests.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Hi! Another female that greatly enjoys lifting heavy. Friend request sent.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Strong Curves advanced here and loving it!
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    luccianaff wrote: »
    I learned how to lift when I was young because my dad and his best friend were body builders so I have always loved lifting. I ended up getting away from it because of chronic pain from fibromyalga which in turn made my depression and weigh gain from that worse. I've gotten back into it and am even teaching my sister and best friend and I'm so much happier to be back at it. (though I have to lift a lot lighter and really really have to pay attention to my body not to over do it) I would love to have some friends one here who also lift to be able to support and motivate each other!

Hi! I have fibro too and lift. I find Epsom salt baths help me a ton. I also started a new medication called Low Dose Naltrexone and it's made a world of difference for me in my recovery time and pain.

I'm 49 and got sick of being squishy so I started lifted 2x a week with a trainer November 2017. I have been very consistent since then and have now upped my days to 3x a week over the winter. I'll go back down to two in another month or so because I'm an avid mountain biker (another reason I started lifting) and will be spending a lot more time on my bike once the weather breaks.

I lifted many years ago but stopped for a number of reasons, time and pain issues with my fibro were the biggest. I enjoy weight training a lot more than cardio but then I found biking a couple years ago and have absolutely gone nutso for all types of biking and now cardio is fun, as long as it's on a bike.

Sending you a friend request ;-)
  • aubreyjordan
    If you didn't send me a friend request, I have requested you. I wasn't expecting such a response! I'm so excited to have more friends on a similar fitness path as myself!
    NCK96 wrote: »
    I have the older version of NROLFW and was doing that, but my 17 year old son started lifting with me and we tried StrongLifts because of the ease of the app. We did that until the squats got too heavy to do at home without a rack. I don't want to join a gym right now with all the equipment I already have at home and while he's still willing to work out with me. Maybe later when he goes off to college. I just bought some heavier dumbbells and we've kind of been winging it.

There's a new version of Thinner, Leaner, Stronger coming out soon, isn't there?

I was laughing when I bought the dumbbells at Walmart because I paid for them and put them back in my shopping cart, then started to pull out a box of soda from under the cart and an older man got in line behind me and started helping me with the box. I thanked him for putting it on the counter for me, and realized he probably hadn't seen me buy and put the set of 25 lb. dumbbells in my cart earlier, or he probably wouldn't have bothered helping me with a little box.

Version 3 of TLS was supposed to be released by now. Supposedly it was released when I ordered my book, but I received version 2 from Amazon in February. I had no idea until this past week that an updated version was coming out. I haven't seen it on Amazon yet. I'm hoping someone in the Facebook group will compare it. I really don't want to buy another copy!

That's too funny about the box, though really kind of him to help you out!

Ah, I lost all my weight doing Strong, maybe they wrote their new book a little more weight loss oriented. I felt like the whole program (as with almost any women's program I've looked at) has a weight loss slant. Also, we did compound lifts every workout, as it was a 3-day full body program. I think they made some improvements for their newer books, everything was really straightforward and easy. I did hear the NROLFW was a little, complicated? I'm not sure. I checked it out from the library and decided to do NROL (the original) instead, back before kids.

Anyway, whatever gets you in the gym and gets you lifting, right?

The advanced Strong Curves program is kicking my butt, and I finished Strong lifting really heavy. The switch from a strength based program (the last phase of Strong was) to a hypertrophy program, trying to keep up the same or increase the intensity....OMG it's killing me. I'm shooting for 4 days per week, the A-B-A-C routine the book suggests.

The version of NROL I had was geared more towards a body recomp (eating at maintenance or just slightly below). It was a little complicated. They've probably updated it since then. I have heard great things about Strong Curves as well. But you're right, just gotta find the program you'll stick with that gets you lifting heavy things :) Although you think it's killing you, I bet you're in fact, killing it! :)

• AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    How long do you think it should take to really see results? I mean visibly. I’m older, 49, and have been lifting 2x a week since Nov 2017 and now 3x a week since January of this year. My diet is pretty good. I eat healthy but maybe more than I should for my age, height, etc. I feel like my shape is changing, more broadness in the shoulders, nicer legs, but I’ve still got this layer of fat I can’t get rid of.

An acquaintance of mine who is an ex personal trainer and cross fitter told me it takes about 3 years to really see visible results. I guess I’m about halfway there with that timeframe but what do you all think? I think it may take longer for me because I’m older and am peri menopausal. I’m not giving up lifting. I love feeling strong and able. That was my goal when I started lifting again. I wanted to continue to be able to do all the things I wanted to do.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    How long to see results of lifting? I saw results right away, but I lost most of my body fat. I was super lean at 110lbs. If you have more body fat, you won't see the definition, but you should definitely see strength gains.
  • aubreyjordan
    AgileK9 wrote: »
    How long do you think it should take to really see results? I mean visibly. I’m older, 49, and have been lifting 2x a week since Nov 2017 and now 3x a week since January of this year. My diet is pretty good. I eat healthy but maybe more than I should for my age, height, etc. I feel like my shape is changing, more broadness in the shoulders, nicer legs, but I’ve still got this layer of fat I can’t get rid of.

An acquaintance of mine who is an ex personal trainer and cross fitter told me it takes about 3 years to really see visible results. I guess I’m about halfway there with that timeframe but what do you all think? I think it may take longer for me because I’m older and am peri menopausal. I’m not giving up lifting. I love feeling strong and able. That was my goal when I started lifting again. I wanted to continue to be able to do all the things I wanted to do.

You might want to start focusing on the diet and making sure you hit your protein macros. I'm following TLS in a cut right now. I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing newbie gains and water weight retention from the creatine supplement I take, as the scale is staying within the same pound. However I'm 4 weeks in and I've had a couple people comment that I look leaner, especially in my face and arms.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I have been lifting for about a year. I saw some change early on, and I've been losing weight, but I only started seeing muscles when I started losing weight again. Sometime between 125 and 115lbs I've noticed a difference.