“But there aren’t any calories in sour cream.”

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I can actually walk my cat! (Sort of). She tolerates a harness and a leash well, so I can stick her in one, and let her walk around. I took her to the vet once, and it was easier to stick her in a harness and leash then it was to put her in her carrier. (She would not let me stick her in that carrier, no matter what I tried.) The vet was impressed, lol!

We wanted to be able to bring Pete into the back yard without him taking off over/under the wall, so got one of these. He was really resistant to it going on and off at first, but he's much better now. And now we've added a 50 foot or so clothesline.

61GcsxQY1sL._SL1000_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/PetSafe-Kitty-Harness-Bungee-Leash/dp/B000OBIW9Q/
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    savithny wrote: »
    You can order a double cheeseburger and large fries, as long as you get a diet soda to go with it.

Eh...this, and another one upthread about having a salad and then a cupcake...that's kind of how I've maintained loss of 130 unwanted pounds, if I'm honest about it. Less calories = weight loss.

My team. If you've got the calories in your budget? Go for it. And then if you want a flavored beverage but don't have the calories for it? Get for a calorie-free drink.

If I'm looking forward to a treat like ice cream after a kid concert? I'll adjust my intake to make room by eating much lighter earlier in the day. That's how moderation actually works.

It's more about reduction of harm than anything else if I'm going over calories. I would rather go over calories by 500 calories than by 700 by getting a non-diet drink, but that's not how people think. In their mind, getting the diet drink or the salad justifies getting the cake, so does taking a walk or going to the gym.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Kst76 wrote: »
    Oh, I remember one. This was from my sister in the late 80s. She heard it from her basketball coach. lol
    "eating cheese is like gluing the brick of it right on your thigh"
    hahaha!

“A moment on the lips, forever on the hips,” is a line said by the wealthy blonde character on Bob Newhart.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    If it doesn't have fat in it it doesn't make you gain weight. And it's corollary from the same person: fruits don't contribute to weight gain. Both of these from my university educated cousin with a degree in medical technology.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    My mother-in-law just told me that if you’re going to have something high-carb like cake or donuts or pie, you need to have it first thing in the morning so you can burn it off. Her friend told her this, “and she’s a nurse!” So that’s how this friend’s whole family ate — birthday cake was served at breakfast.

Same mother-in-law also told me you shouldn’t eat after 8 PM (6 is an even better cut-off) or first thing in the morning. She and my father-in-law rarely eat breakfast. I explained that this is a strategy some people use to limit their overall intake without counting calories, but she’d hear nothing of it. It was how you had to eat to control weight.
  • MrsBradyBunch
    MrsBradyBunch Posts: 182 Member
    "Sugar-free is the same thing as calorie-free." Did we cover that one?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    ...mother-in-law also told me you shouldn’t eat after 8 PM (6 is an even better cut-off) or first thing in the morning. She and my father-in-law rarely eat breakfast. I explained that this is a strategy some people use to limit their overall intake without counting calories, but she’d hear nothing of it. It was how you had to eat to control weight.

Oh man, I know lots of people who think this way as well. I personally do the "nothing after dinner" thing and floss/brush right after so the kitchen is closed and I know it's just a way for me to avoid extra calories in the late evening. Works for me but by NO means do I believe that eating late will cause you to gain weight or anything like that. My mom thinks people gain weight from eating their dinner too late and that cracks me up.

I have a coworker who is a fairly reasonable man of average weight but when we get donuts delivered by a salesperson he waits until after lunch to eat one because he says if he eats anything before lunch (i.e., breakfast) he'll just binge all day long and have to leave the office to go buy more snacks. People have strange ideas. In the case of my coworker though, I think whatever works for him is fine. It's just funny.
  • Annemariezonderma
    Annemariezonderma Posts: 45 Member
    "you're not fat" - when you're morbidly obese.
    Well, thanks I guess for trying to be nice. But that really doesn't work.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    "you're not fat" - when you're morbidly obese.
    Well, thanks I guess for trying to be nice. But that really doesn't work.

One of my relatives is in the hospital. He's morbidly obese and it takes at least 2 people to move him. One night I witnessed the process, then the doctor came in and talked about his condition, including saying he was morbidly obese. His wife got angry and screamed "he's not obese, he's just built solid". Close to 400 lbs is very solid I guess.

Definitely not taking the side of your relative's wife...but I think a lot of people have a really skewed idea of what obesity is.

I was morbidly obese in the high 200s and knew that. However, a lot of friends would say that I, or their family member or spouse of similar obesity, was "not obese, just chubby/overweight/chunky/plus-sized"...
    Sure that may sound better to them, but I really don't think they were JUST trying to be nice. I think some people have this idea that you're not OBESE unless you need an electric cart to get around, can't sleep in a regular bed, etc. My cousin is an intelligent woman in her thirties and she insisted that her neighbor was "not obese" because she's smaller than actress Chrissy Metz...I'm not sure where that comes from but it's definitely not helpful when it comes to actually defining the level of a person's weight issues.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I used to get a lot of "you can't eat that, you're on a diet!" Because every once in a while I would order something "unhealthy" like fast food, even though I could fit it within my calorie goals. Now that I've lost the weight, people don't really say that to me anymore, but I know some of them are thinking "oh because you work out a lot you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight." Nope. Working out certainly gives me the freedom to eat more than I would have if I didn't work out, but I still have to monitor and track my calorie intake. There are plenty of people I train with regularly who are still obese. Exercise alone won't do it.

I think this is the #1 reason people fail... people think they have to give up everything.

I think you're right, @KimberlyCapone . This was always my problem.

I knew I had to lose weight, and I knew that meant I had to eat less and be more active. But I lacked a strategy - how much less to eat? How much more active to be? Lacking that strategy, I would vow to give up everything good to eat, get up early every morning to exercise, and so on. You know the routine. I'd usually last a few weeks, until I get fed up or until "life got in the way."

Once I realized that there was a manageable way to lose weight by counting calories, it was like the heavens opened. Suddenly I had a strategy that I could live with -- one that was reasonable, adaptable, and allowed for occasional lapses and frequent indulgences. It encouraged exercise and rewarded consistence and responsibility, without being restrictive or punishing.

I have been going strong ever since. That's why I'm an advocate of simply counting calories - it was a liberating experience for me and has literally changed my life. It baffles me that others don't feel this way too.

it's like you read my soul.