“But there aren’t any calories in sour cream.”

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Azurite27 wrote: »
    I once had someone tell me that if I put rice in the fridge and let it cool before eating it would have 1/3 or 1/2 the calories (don't remember the actual percentage).

Also, not really diet related but my mom always insisted that I wouldn't be depressed anymore if I just ate more veggies.

I'm not completely up to date on the studies, but I believe there is some evidence to think that "resistance starches" (calories our body is no longer able to absorb if a starch like rice, pasta, or potatoes is cooled before eating) are a real thing. I wouldn't subtract the calories from leftover rice based on it, but there is at least some underpinning to it.

I think a lot of these crazy theories about weight loss have some seed of truth in them, but are misconstrued or exaggerated so heavily that they appear to have no basis. I would say it's a combination of lack of critical thinking and pressure on writers to find interesting "news" topics to the point where they take tiny things and blow them up to make them sound crazy.

Yes, I agree. Personally, about 3/4 of the rice, pasta, and potatoes I eat have been chilled (because I cook several portions for dinner and save the rest for breakfast/lunch) and I've never noticed myself losing faster than expected or when I didn't expect to. If there is an impact, it isn't that large, at least for me.

Oh man, kind of having a craving for leftover cold pasta. That stuff's the best. Almost as good as cold pizza.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    I once had someone tell me that if I put rice in the fridge and let it cool before eating it would have 1/3 or 1/2 the calories (don't remember the actual percentage).

Also, not really diet related but my mom always insisted that I wouldn't be depressed anymore if I just ate more veggies.

I'm not completely up to date on the studies, but I believe there is some evidence to think that "resistance starches" (calories our body is no longer able to absorb if a starch like rice, pasta, or potatoes is cooled before eating) are a real thing. I wouldn't subtract the calories from leftover rice based on it, but there is at least some underpinning to it.

I think a lot of these crazy theories about weight loss have some seed of truth in them, but are misconstrued or exaggerated so heavily that they appear to have no basis. I would say it's a combination of lack of critical thinking and pressure on writers to find interesting "news" topics to the point where they take tiny things and blow them up to make them sound crazy.

That had always been my thought after hearing it. That there might be some reduction in calories but not generally noticeable enough to make a difference eating a normal portion a few times a week.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Yes, I agree. Personally, about 3/4 of the rice, pasta, and potatoes I eat have been chilled (because I cook several portions for dinner and save the rest for breakfast/lunch) and I've never noticed myself losing faster than expected or when I didn't expect to. If there is an impact, it isn't that large, at least for me.

Oh man, kind of having a craving for leftover cold pasta. That stuff's the best. Almost as good as cold pizza.

I love it!
  • RelCanonical

That had always been my thought after hearing it. That there might be some reduction in calories but not generally noticeable enough to make a difference eating a normal portion a few times a week.

Definitely. Calorie burn is so variable on a day-to-day basis as well that it just doesn't make a difference for the average person. It's only really applicable in science, and used to further other research rather than stand on its own.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member

Yep, like when they say you burn more fat when you eat keto. No *kitten*, of course you're burning more fat, because you're eating more fat. You're burning what you're eating, not that keto is magically slimming.

In the 90's, it was "eat less fat to burn more fat!"

Now, it's "eat more fat to burn more fat!"

I would like to see the next evolution of this. The diet pokemon.

*Looks at newest diet fad on IG*

I choose you!😂
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    "Counting calories doesn't work, I tried it for a whole week and only lost 2lb"

giphy.gif
    "Counting calories doesn't work, I tried it for a whole week and only lost 2lb"

giphy.gif

This top quote is basically what 3/4 of my girlfriends had to say about My Fitness Pal when they eagerly joined up. smdh
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    rosiorama wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    kellycz wrote: »
    A coworker told me that she carries a lot of extra waste in her bowels, so she’s really 5 pounds lighter than the scale indicates.

https://healthywildandfree.com/how-to-remove-20-pounds-of-toxic-fat-from-your-colon/

Direct her to this site and she can claim 20 lbs :o (Warning, it's pretty gross)

Anyone who has ever prepped for a colonoscopy knows that there is not 20lb of stuff backed up in the entire digestive system. On procedure day I am squeaky clean and typically 5-6 lb less than my usual weight.

I’ve never thought to weigh myself before one of those. I stand corrected: apparently I DO carry that much poop all the time!

From the descriptions from my dad, I'm sure part of that weight is also water, not just fecal matter.

Yes it is. After a certain point (usually 4-6 hours before the procedure) they want you to drink very little water, if any, so you are still eliminating but not taking in.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member

Wait a minute! Are you saying Snorelax isn’t?

• RelCanonical

Wait a minute! Are you saying Snorelax isn’t?

I want to *inspiring* and *insightful* you but I can't do both so here's a comment.