Replies

• cjac524
    cjac524 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It doesn't. You're buying too much.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of shrimp you are buying. But if you are purchasing stuff out of season then the cost will always go up. My entire food bill for two people next week I have estimated to be around $61 (54 euro). And that includes several meats, seafood, and snacks for my S.O.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Edit.. nm.. misread
  • ehaze52
    ehaze52 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try shopping at a less expensive store. Do you have Aldi near you?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I buy my fruits, veggies and shrimp from the overpriced fancy store and it's not even close to that for two people.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Obviously location makes a difference. In Australia, my family of 2 adults and 1 child budget $200AU per week food & groceries, most of this is food.

We do a fortnightly shop at an inexpensive fresh food market (meat, vegetables, fruit) and discount chain Aldi, and in between pick up extras that run out from our local chain supermarket and bakery.

Our costs would be twice this if we didn’t make sensible choices; buy foods when they are cheaper (on sale or in high availability). Buy some of your meat in bulk and freeze in portions for later. Buy cheaper cuts & types meats (chicken is cheaper than duck; beef is cheaper than lamb, etc) but also with health considerations (chicken breast is healthier than chicken wings). You have choices whether to buy whatever you want at huge expense or choose the cheaper options.

Cost of something like capsicums can double from one week to the next just depending on availability - I buy lots when cheap and might skip it when expensive - price can drop again the next shop. At the moment cauliflower is $6 a small/medium head! But a few months ago it was $2.50 a large head. If you don’t pay attention to prices, you can run up big bill.

We do buy some convenience meals - premade quiche, frozen meat pies, frozen dumplings - for days when time is short as these are better options than falling back on takeaway or fast food. (These foods are for my daughter and partner who are not following my diet). However I don’t think it would be much cheaper to make these from scratch as they are not hugely expensive - they’re only from Aldi.

Compared to very unhealthy food: it costs more to buy McDonalds for 1 adult than a quiche/meat pies/ dumplings/lamb shanks from Aldi to serve 2-4.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Luciicul wrote: »
    Compared to very unhealthy food: it costs more to buy McDonalds for 1 adult than a quiche/meat pies/ dumplings/lamb shanks from Aldi to serve 2-4.

This.

I keep my mouth shut in general, IRL, unless specifically asked for input. Diet and spending habits tend to be highly charged emotional topics and people I love and respect make some choices that are somewhat painful for me to watch, but it’s not my place.

I don’t have kids, I don’t know what that additional responsibility feels like, costs, or what that stress might drive me to do.

It’s still hard to see friends whi struggle with money and have children (especially those kids with behavioral stuff that could be helped with diet) take the family thru the drive-thru. Feeding a family of 6 fast food seems to cost upwards of $30.

At my local chain grocery, this could translate to:

2x rotisserie chicken @ $5 each, a store special (=$10)
    1 giant tub mixed greens ($5)
    English cucumber ($3)
    Pint of grape tomatoes ($4)
    Yogurt-based ranch dressing ($4)
    2 boxes couscous with spice mix (2 for $5)
    =$31, assuming nothing is on sale - and using many higher cost ‘shortcut’ foods (precooked meat, prewashed greens, ready made dressing, flavored just add water grain dish.)

15 minutes to shop if done at the worst possible time, 10 minutes if better planning.
    @ home:
    Add 5 minutes for prep-
    Boil the water for couscous while pulling the chicken. Add couscous to hot water and cover, then chop the cuke, dump the cucumber and tomato over the spinach. Stir the couscous. Serve.

Time cost of 20 minutes, minimal kitchen equipment or experience needed, save for the ability to boil water and slice a cucumber.

I know people who wait longer in the drive-thru, or drive thru multiple places to make the whole family.’

I get it- everybody is doing their best. People are tired.
    But we pick our battles.

I think it’s a cultural responsibility to teach people how to prepare simple, sustaining meals.
    Yes, there are areas where this isn’t possible. Let’s change that. Let’s kill off the BS myth that eating well is hard and expensive.

You also have to factor in multiple people's food preferences though. Of your shopping list example above I'd be the only one who'd actually eat everything on your list, of my family, (and I'd only eat the cucumber if I had to lol). I have 5 different lists of food preferences/likes/dislikes that I have to work with, it's definitely appealing to run through a drive-through and letting everyone order what they want. Just another perspective :)

Maybe you've created those "food preferences" by allowing it? I ate what everyone else was eating as a kid, or I didn't eat.

Just saying, we create our own problems. No wonder so many people are "entitled" these days.

Nope, each of my husband/kids have their own set of likes and dislikes, that are different. My husband also has IBS, one of my kids is lactose intolerant and one has eating issues that stem from his ADHD. And then throw in my specific eating preferences DASH/pescetarian leaning, and meal time can be challenging, to say the least. We have a very small grocery budget and I make it work, but I get the appeal of just going out/running through drive-through.

I'm surprised that a drive-thru is even a workable option in this situation.

It is, though when we do go out it's to very specific places. And we use coupons lol.